• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lead body feeling

Do any of you experience a heavy body feeling when trying to stand or move around? For me, some days are really bad with this symptom and other days it's less debilitating. When it's bad, it feels like gravity is pulling every inch of my body to the ground more than normal. Every doctor I've seen doesn't have an answer for this. I'm just wondering if this is common with ME/CFS.

Thanks Hip. I'll look into those heaters, anything to relieve this heavy feeling. This symptom is the main reason I'm forced to be on my back for most of the day. What's strange is I sometimes get temporary relief from an ice pack on my back and a spike mat meant for pain that I got from Amazon. If you know of any other things that can help, please let me know.

Sometimes along with the heaviness sensation I get air hunger. Deep breaths but no relief even though the pulse oximeter shows 97-98%. Is there anything that helps relieve this symptom?

Hip

Sometimes along with the heaviness sensation I get air hunger. Deep breaths but no relief even though the pulse oximeter shows 97-98%. Is there anything that helps relieve this symptom?

I have not experienced air hunger myself, but it's been mentioned on these forums before, so you might want to search the forums, to see if you can find any useful info.

perrier

That limb and body heaviness is sometimes referred to as molasses limbs. I actually found a treatment for it, of sorts. See this post.
Thanks Hip for the link; I had not seen that before. I looked at the infra red pads too, and I will purchase something but I am not sure what would give the biggest bang for the buck, as they say. Thanks.

[QUOTE = "MikeC, сообщение: 2309472, участник: 40924"] Спасибо, Хип. Я посмотрю на эти обогреватели, что угодно, чтобы облегчить это чувство тяжести. Этот симптом - основная причина, по которой мне приходится большую часть дня лежать на спине. Что странно, иногда я получаю временное облегчение от пакета со льдом на спине и коврика с шипами, предназначенного для боли, который я получил от Amazon.
Взаимодействие с другими людьми

Hi. Use an infrared lamp to warm up the sides of the neck. There is the plexus where the phrenic nerve comes from. This makes it easy to breathe. Maybe it somehow relaxes the diaphragm, I don't know, but it helps.

gregh286

Thanks Hip. I'll look into those heaters, anything to relieve this heavy feeling. This symptom is the main reason I'm forced to be on my back for most of the day. What's strange is I sometimes get temporary relief from an ice pack on my back and a spike mat meant for pain that I got from Amazon. If you know of any other things that can help, please let me know.

Heaviness is muscle lactic acid, as our OXPHOS is mangled in the (most likely) complex V step of ATP synthesis, you are burning anaerobically. Eating low carb will keep down oxi stress, hence some level of successes with it., but it can be double edged with other health issues.

Air hunger, the old enemy. is common symptom and seems to worsen in crashes, comes from poor exchange of o2 in mito and Co2 builds up, poisoning us. Stretching out and bending over alleviate it, as will copious amounts of mineral water and/or sodium bicarbonate to buffer. Its a real pain in ass symptom. Forget O2 meter wont show anything, nor will an asthma volume test, by all medical accounts, lungs work fine.

Sauna, sweating and hot baths or hot tubs, very fast to remove lactic, and help air hunger lower.
I am not really troubled much by brain fog recently, prehaps its air hunger of the brain. I mean what we really expierence is all body o2 hunger, if you really get down to it.

We dont really know why we are like this, the million dollar question.

Sophiedw

complex V step of ATP synthesis,

Why do you think it's complex V, Greg?

I'm not sure about the heaviness but manganese gets rid of my air hunger. Let me know if it does anything for yours if you try taking some.

Take care.

Any recommendations for a decent infrared heater? The brand I see frequently on Amazon is Dr Infrared. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002QZ11J6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabt1_S6uWFb598YVDK I was also able to find the fir heating pad that was mentioned in the other thread.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QQ60XO0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabt1_dtvWFbGTY79NK?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 Does it matter which one I get?

For supplements, the ones I'm taking right now are d-ribose, whey protein, fish oil with added coq10, calcium and a multivitamin. It looks like I should add supplements that help boost mitochondria. Do any of you have experience with alpha lipoic acid and L carnitine? Did it make a noticeable difference and are they safe for long term use?

I appreciate the help everyone.

leokitten

Oh yes, I generally don’t get the heavy limb feeling but much more the lead body feeling when standing, like my body is pushing towards the ground like too much gravity and I can’t fight it.

Hip

Any recommendations for a decent infrared heater?

The heater I used myself on my back and spine is a ceramic infrared radiant heater (you can see the beige ceramic element in the picture). Ceramic produces a deeper wavelength of infrared which is more penetrating into the bones and tissues. The beige ceramic bulb just contains some electrical wires that heat it up; the bulb never gets hot enough to actually glow red, but hot enough to radiate out a lot of infrared heat.

I've noticed ceramic infrared radiant heaters are expensive in the US. In the UK, they cost less than £100, but in the US similar models are over $300. They are not easy to find either. Here are some ceramic infrared heaters for sale in the US:

https://www.stokker.com/infrapuna-soojakiirgur-ts-3-a-24-kw-master/250636286
https://www.amgair.com/ebac-qzc1500-ceramic-infrared-heater.html
https://factorypure.com/products/ebac-qzc1500-ceramic-infra-red-heater?variant=15256946438

Check that they run on the US 120 volts, not the European 230 volts.

Brands of ceramic infrared heaters include: Fireball | Sealey | Rhino | Master | Ebac

The other type of radiant infrared heater that you will see is the ones that use quartz halogen tubes (these tubes look like glass halogen light tubes, but are longer in length). These quartz halogen infrared heaters are much cheaper than ceramic, but the wavelength of infrared light is not quite as deep, so may be less penetrating. These quartz halogen units may work for our purposes here, but I have not tried them myself.

Here are some examples of quartz halogen infrared heaters (cost is around $30 and upwards):

https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-BHTI06-Infrared-Quartz/dp/B07K1GS8LL
https://www.amazon.com/Comfort-Zone-Halogen-Heater-CZHTV9/dp/B002Q8HDKY
https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Electric-Settings-Protection-Immediately/dp/B08BFB5838

Do not confuse radiant infrared heaters (which heat by emitting infrared light) with air blow heaters (which blow hot air into the room). You don't want an air blower, you want something which emits infrared light, which is a form of heat that penetrates into the body tissues. Some blow heaters are also referred to as ceramic heaters, so it can be confusing.

Your first Amazon link looks like an air blower. You second link is a heating pad you wear on your body; I am not sure if this will do the job; it may not produce enough heat.

You're right. The first one I linked is an air blow heater. Thanks for catching that. I just wish the infrared types weren't so expensive here.

Hip

I just wish the infrared types weren't so expensive here.

You can try using a cheap quartz halogen infrared heater, which you can pick up for as little as $30.

I have actually got one of these also, and when I compare the feeling of its radiant heat on my skin to the radiant heat from by my ceramic radiant heater, the quartz heat feels sort of "harsher", probably because it does not penetrate through the tissues so well, so more of the heat hits the skin surface.

Whereas with the ceramic, the heat feels "softer", because I think it penetrates the skin better.