• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

LDN is an immunomodulator; should it be pulsed?

Hip

Low-dose naltrexone (LDN) can be considered to be an immunomodulator. Should it be pulsed?

Many immunomodulators (such as Imunovir, Nexavir, artesunate, and azithromycin) are best used on a pulsed, on/off basis. Dr Cheney often makes the point that these immunomodulators lose their effect if you do not take regular breaks from them. Regular breaks means taking them on an on/off regimen, such as for example: on for 5 days, off for 2 days; and/or on for 3 weeks, off for 1 week.

However, other immunomodulators like oxymatrine (this is assumed to be an immunomodulator) should not be stopped if you are deriving benefit from it, as according to Dr Chia, stopping oxymatrine if it is working for you generally causes relapse of symptoms.

Anyway, I wonder if there is any advice given for pulsing LDN, and whether anyone has tried a pulsed LDN regimen, and found it better than taking LDN continuously?

Note that LDN may not work unless you also take vitamin D3.

Last edited:

Ninan

For me it stopped working after taking it every day for a few weeks. Maybe it would have lasted longer with pulsing.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Anyway, I wonder if there is any advice given for pulsing LDN, and whether anyone has tried a pulsed LDN regimen, and found it better than taking LDN continuously?
I've inadvertently pulsed it over the years when I have occasionally run out. The "gap" just brought back symptoms. I seem to do best with daily dosing.

Seven7

Seven
Same for me. Doctor never told me to pulse it. Also the start up is brutal. No way I could tolerate pulsing. My brain swells and I cannot stay awake when increasing dose. So I am basically unconscious for 3 days ( wake up to eat and bathroom but that is about it)

Low-dose naltrexone (LDN) can be considered to be an immunomodulator. Should it be pulsed?

Many immunomodulators (such as Imunovir, Nexavir, artesunate, and azithromycin) are best used on a pulsed, on/off basis. Dr Cheney often makes the point that these immunomodulators lose their effect if you do not take regular breaks from them. Regular breaks means taking them on an on/off regimen, such as for example: on for 5 days, off for 2 days; and/or on for 3 weeks, off for 1 week.

However, other immunomodulators like oxymatrine (this is assumed to be an immunomodulator) should not be stopped if you are deriving benefit from it, as according to Dr Chia, stopping oxymatrine if it is working for you generally causes relapse of symptoms.

Note that LDN may not work unless you also take vitamin D3.
WE Use Hepapressin which seems to act well on the methylation cycle in the immune system
Derek Enlander MD

panckage

I'm still having trouble finding the best LDN dosing schedule but so far I have found 2 weeks on followed by 2 weeks off to be the best compromise. I always thought it was tolerance that lead to its reduced effect but perhaps it is pulsing instead