• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

LDN and XMRV

G

Gerwyn

hi does anyone know if taking ldn would skew the results for the xmrv test?

LDN has no potitive effect on the immune system but could theoretically act as an immunossuppressant.it is an opiate agonist and promotes feelings of wellbeing without affecting the core symptoms of the disease

LDN has no potitive effect on the immune system but could theoretically act as an immunossuppressant.it is an opiate agonist and promotes feelings of wellbeing without affecting the core symptoms of the disease

First of all it is an opiate ANTagonist and second of all it is immune stimulating rather than suppressing. It promotes production of T-lymphocytes. The feeling of "wellbeing" is not experienced very often. LDN blocks opiate receptors and by that stimulates the body to produce more of its own endorphins. If your body does not start producing enough endorphins you rather experience feelings of depression.

oerganix

According to the research I've read and anecdotal evidence from patients, including myself, LDN is an immune system modulater. It can up or down regulate your immune system, depending on what your body needs. Some of the best evidence for this includes several studies on MS sufferers and HIV, where it has stopped the progression of the illness, and in some cases, reversed it.

Many users, as reported in the LDN thread on this forum, have experienced immune responses after starting LDN.

But, to answer your question, no, it wouldn't skew results of an XMRV test. It's not an antiretroviral, an antiviral, nor an antibiotic. Apparently, the natural endorphins it helps your body to produce also have a postive affect on the immune system.

Lynn

Hello Diesel,
Could you please explain more about not producing enough endorphins and experiencing depression. I am having a very difficult time with LDN. If I take it more than once/week I experience depression. However, everytime I go off it for a while (say three weeks) I experience a great sense of well being after the first couple of days of taking LDN. Unfortunately ,after those first couple of days, my system spirals back to depression and anxiety which I never experienced before LDN. I am wondering if it is maybe not the drug for me.

Lynn

omerbasket

I know that there is a claim that XMRV helps against AIDS - So, I don't know if it would help against retroviruses other than XMRV, and I think there are no people who know at this time if it has or dosen't have an effect on XMRV.

oerganix

Hello Diesel,
Could you please explain more about not producing enough endorphins and experiencing depression. I am having a very difficult time with LDN. If I take it more than once/week I experience depression. However, everytime I go off it for a while (say three weeks) I experience a great sense of well being after the first couple of days of taking LDN. Unfortunately ,after those first couple of days, my system spirals back to depression and anxiety which I never experienced before LDN. I am wondering if it is maybe not the drug for me.

Lynn

Why not join us on the LDN thread:
http://www.forums.aboutmecfs.org/showthread.php?379-Low-dose-Naltrexone

You don't say how much you are taking. The motto for LDN seems to "low and slow". That is, many people with ME/CFS need to start at really low doses, like only 1mg, or even less in some cases, and to raise the dose very, very slowly.

Regards the statement that you have to be off pain meds for 2 weeks before starting LDN, that applies only to opiates, not other types of pain meds. LDN does not increase pain, in any case, it just makes opiates ineffective for several hours a day, while it is blocking the opiate receptors.

Dr Bilary has also said, more recently, that you can take it whenever it works best for you, as some people seem to have their nights and days reversed. So, some users who felt too wired to sleep at night take it in the morning and have more energy during the day, then sleep better at night.

For me, the biggest and best improvement I have felt is that I now sleep without sleep meds, sleep in a more normal way and wake up more normally, feeling in a good mood. Come join us on the LDN thread and post your questions. Maybe others have had similar experiences to yours.