• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Large Doses of Vitamin C for ME?

Has anyone pursued large doses of Vitamin C?
Here's an article about its uses: http://vitamincfoundation.org/www.orthomed.com/titrate.htm

This is cited in Dr. Sarah Myhill's book, The Energy Equation. Dr. Myhill works exensively with ME patients.

Vitamin C is a fantastically useful tool and in recent years has revolutionised my practice. It is the starting point to treat upper fermenting gut and all infections acute and chronic and therefore any condition involving inflammation. It multitasks to improve detoxing, is an essential antioxidant and is vital for healing and repair. It kills all microbes (bacteria, viruses and fungi) and is toxic to cancer cells.

Myhill, Sarah,Myhill, Sarah,Robinson, Craig,Robinson, Craig. The Energy Equation (p. 155). Hammersmith Books Limited. Kindle Edition.

Both sources refer to determining appropriate dosage level based on "bowel tolerance". I don't know if it will address the viruses I have related to ME (Epstein's Barr and Herpes VI) but I assume that I have some leaky gut issues that are making it harder to get better.
Appreciate any thoughts from the community.
Ann

Last edited by a moderator:

LINE

I have used Vit C for long periods of time.

I broke a nasty flu virus some years with high doses (50k day 1, 35k day 2, 20k day 3. This was taken on the hour, every hour. Please use a pharmaceutical grade if possible (no Chinese manufacturers ) It was a very effective treatment for the viral issue.

Last edited:

pamojja

Please use a pharmaceutical grade if possible (no Chinese manufacturers )

I once asked in a pharmacy how their ascorbic acid powder coming from China differentiated from those sold for a fraction of their price elsewere. Was told the batch would have been tested on purity of ascorbic acid, but not regularly for contaminants.

Basically all ascorbic acid powder these days comes from China. There is only one company DSM which doesn't. Like for example in this product: https://www.iherb.com/pr/Lake-Avenu...-Quali-C-Powder-1-000-mg-8-81-oz-250-g/101715 for about $56,- per kilo.

I pay about 13,- per kilo of regular Chinese. It worked just as well. Out of precaution I did for 8 years hair-tissue analysis, to see if any heavy metals would accumulate. Only in 1 year had higher uranium in my hair, right after Fukushima.

pamojja

I have tried this in the past, no effect.

Too tried many years ago to titrate to bowel-tolerance of one day. Reached it with 50 g/d. Above 30g increased flatulence. Which with the chart in OP's link could be explained by my rhinitis alone. No other effects than the flush. If you say "no effect", does that mean not even a toilet run? - If so you wouldn't have reached bowel-tolerance.

Last March with a cold I tried to use this titrate to bowel-tolerance method diagnostically. Since no covid test was available to me. And according to above chart, viral resperatory diseases can have a bowel-tolerance of up to 150-200g per day.

I failed badly, never got above 70 g/d. After dinner got so full, simply didn't want to force myself to condinue. And that despite decades long experience of using high-dose ascorbic acid.. So could have been just any cold. Just recently confirmed by a Covid-Antibody negative test-result.

Therefore theoretically titration to bowel-tolerance sounds easy, practically with real serious viral-infections I guess it is only reached by the most brave. One would have to take 5-6g every half hour for up to
35 times a day to reach 200g. I probably could only if I also fasted.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
Too tried many years ago to titrate to bowel-tolerance of one day. Reached it with 50 g/d. Above 30g increased flatulence. Which with the chart in OP's link could be explained by my rhinitis alone. No other effects than the flush. If you say "no effect", does that mean not even a toilet run? - If so you wouldn't have reached bowel-tolerance.

Last March with a cold I tried to use this titrate to bowel-tolerance method diagnostically. Since no covid test was available to me. And according to above chart, viral resperatory diseases can have a bowel-tolerance of up to 150-200g per day.

I failed badly, never got above 70 g/d. After dinner got so full, simply didn't want to force myself to condinue. And that despite decades long experience of using high-dose ascorbic acid.. So could have been just any cold. Just recently confirmed by a Covid-Antibody negative test-result.

Therefore theoretically titration to bowel-tolerance sounds easy, practically with real serious viral-infections I guess it is only reached by the most brave. One would have to take 5-6g every half hour for up to
35 times a day to reach 200g. I probably could only if I also fasted.
I doubt this much vitamin C is good for anyone.

JES

High-dose Vitamin C treatment was found to correlate inversely with EBV antibody levels, you might find this article interesting. As is noted, only IV was tested and you would have a hard time getting the same plasma ascorbic acid levels from oral supplementation.

Any kind of ascorbic acid makes my inflammatory symptoms worse, it's as if it works opposite for me than other antioxidants, which typically improve symptoms at first until they trigger a worsening. The only exception is during a cold when I tolerate it much better.

Any kind of ascorbic acid makes my inflammatory symptoms worse, it's as if it works opposite for me than other antioxidants, which typically improve symptoms at first until they trigger a worsening. The only exception is during a cold when I tolerate it much better.
Interesting. I have problems with oral vit C myself, but I have a very sensitive GI tract and that alone is probably responsible for the negative effects. I'm thinking about goind the IV route.