• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ladies, do you feel worse before your period?

sharks

I am about to get my period and I feel horrible.

When I get my period I sleep great and think I'm getting better.

Then when ovulation comes up, until my period.

I can't sleep.
Have high blood pressure.
Constantly feel like fight or flight.
Have hand tremors.

Is there any reason for this?

What can I take to help with this?
I already take a multivitamin, calcium, magnesium, Vit D.
I can't take evening primrose oil as it jacks up my heart rate.

My heart rate is normal range but kinda high while I sleep. Hitting around 80.

Mrs Sowester

Yes, absolutely awful before my period. I crash hard and can barely walk, can't sleep for needing to wee and the PMT is monumental. The pain of coming on is such a relief.
Bring on the menopause!

People keep suggesting the Mirena coil but I've always struggled with hormonal contraceptives (and latex barrier methods and gels, everything really!) and I have blocked tubes so it's not a risk I need to worry about taking.

My GP suggested B6, but I haven't tried yet.

Ysabelle-S

Highly Vexatious
I had no problem with my period negatively interacting with the ME until the years running up to menopause. Then it turned into a living nightmare, and the worst few years of my life. In the week or so before my period my cognitive functioning would be on the floor, and I couldn't follow conversations, instructions on how to work electronics I normally would be fine with, and I would cyclically find myself in a very dark and deep hole. It seemed to be causing a lot of physical stress. But I learned it was related to my period, and it always broke when my period started. It didn't carry on through the period. I'd always been a heavy bleeder but it got much worst during these years and I ended up just short of needing a blood transfusion according to my doctor, because my anaemia was so bad. I could really have done with my period being stopped somehow. Anyway, the first time my period stopped in relation to menopause I had three stable months and then I knew there was light at the end of the tunnel. It started for a few months then stopped for a year, but whenever it came back briefly, it was never a problem. So glad to see the back of that trouble.

dangermouse

Yes, all ME symptoms seem to worsen around that time. I get severe bloating too, due to Adenomyosis which is oestrogen fed.

I don't know why hormonal fluctuations impact on my ME symptoms, but they definitely do.

I've not discovered anything that has helped up to now. In fact I'm hoping menopause will be an end to it, the Adenomyosis and Microvascular Angina (also oestrogen fed according to my cardiologist).

I hope someone will be able to contribute more.

sharks

Yes, absolutely awful before my period. I crash hard and can barely walk, can't sleep for needing to wee and the PMT is monumental. The pain of coming on is such a relief.
Bring on the menopause!

People keep suggesting the Mirena coil but I've always struggled with hormonal contraceptives (and latex barrier methods and gels, everything really!) and I have blocked tubes so it's not a risk I need to worry about taking.

My GP suggested B6, but I haven't tried yet.

Have you tried anything else? I can't do hormonal BC. My drs have banned me because of the migraines.

Mrs Sowester

Have you tried anything else? I can't do hormonal BC. My drs have banned me because of the migraines.

No, I tried Fluoxetine (Prozac) for the PMT, but that was a disaster. I'm taking Mirtazapine at the moment and that has eased the PMT a little and stopped me peeing all night, but I've found nothing for the pre-menstrual ME symptom flare.

Reading @Ysabelle-S 's post is giving me hope that maybe the menopause is drawing closer (I'm nearly 45).

dangermouse

It's been a total relief! I too was looking forward to the menopause. I know some people get symptoms lasting for years even after their periods have stopped, but I've had no trouble.

I've been having this (worsening) for around three years now. Gynaecologist told me to hang on as menopause will ease everything (rather than consider surgery).

I'm still waiting. I hope it's soon.

dangermouse

I've been having thinning hair too. Not sure if this linked to hormones, or thyroid (recent TSH normal but didn't do antibody test) or ferritin (low normal, only 20 but not treating). I'm seeing GP tomorrow as I have a small bald patch that has appeared!

Any thoughts @charles shepherd ?

Seven7

Seven
is humiliating, EVERYBODY knows when I am about to start, I get weak, sick and pass out in every corner. Sometimes I have pass out 5 times by 8:00am! I have POTs also.

I added Iron pills (high 150mg) when I get my period and before and has helped a lot (I have insanely heavy periods, like maternity or overnight every 3h).

JaimeS

Yes, before is awful -- and getting it is a relief. In no other illness would a woman say "whew! Thank goodness it's arrived!"

I take Vitex on the regular, but I add black cohosh before my period, sometimes. Tincture, and without anything extra added (people who make herbal remedies that are well researched enough like to say "standardized to 0.4% cimicifugins!!!!" or some such -- don't buy that, just buy the normal extract if you decide to try it.)

pattismith

Would it be related towhat is called the premenstrual syndrome?

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/premenstrual-syndrome/basics/symptoms/con-20020003

Strangely, I never had it, but my symptoms are getting awful from the first day to the third day of my cycle every time, with worsening of my pains, fatigue, cognitive impairment + diarrhea, etc.
It seems to be called Dysmenorrhea...

I don't know why some women experience Premenstrual Syndrome whereas others experience Dysmenorrhea...

No doubt that male searchers (no conflict of interest, so we are still waiting for them to understand and solve these problems:lol:) will soon help on it with a good behavioural and exercise therapy :D

Last edited:

daisybell

I've been having issues for the last six months - but fingers crossed, have found a good solution for me now...
Was having my period every two weeks, with awful symptoms before, and increased cramps during. The doctor persuaded me to try the mirena - which was a disaster. I had pain all the time, and ended up having it removed. I then went onto the mini-pill. I bled constantly for three months - and nearly stopped taking it, but it's now settled down and fingers crossed all is good.

I've put some weight on which is annoying, and my breasts are tender, but I hope that too will settle. I need to go on a diet.......

pattismith

I have both, so I don't think they're mutually exclusive, but I had dysmenorrhea when I was healthy too.

Sorry to hear that you are concerned with the two of it, I was considering that one only was far enough to suffer!:(

I wonder if eating cruciferous could improve the problem (Indoles metabolites can lower the active estrogen metabolites). I also read that a vegan high fiber diet could decrease Estrogen. Both may improve Premenstrual Syndrome...We should ask to Eskimo Women if they use to be concerned by this disease prior that the western diet was introduced to them!:)

Hutan

Last week, I had a migraine on day one and, on days 2 and 3 shooting neuralgic pains in my head and became bloated.

On day 4 I did a CPET and my blood pressure measured was high, which was surprising as it is usually low. I was really bloated, my watch wouldn't fit around my wrist and I weighed maybe 1.5 kg more than usual.

On day 5, I felt sick and down and had to rest in bed in the afternoon.

On day 6, I got my period and the bloating started to go. My blood pressure still measured high. And I was getting muscle cramps (also on day 7 and 8).

I think maybe hormone changes change the balance of electrolytes and that increases water retention (and causes bloating). And the extra fluids increases the blood pressure. And high blood pressure can cause anxious feelings.

This forum - http://ehealthforum.com/health/high-blood-pressure-during-period-t163380_60.html - is full of stories of high blood pressure just prior to, and during, periods. One suggestion is to reduce sodium intake and increase potassium intake in the week before a period is due.

ETA: I have just found my blood pressure measuring machine and some new batteries. My blood pressure seems to be back to its normal 110 over 60 level. Today is day 8 in my chronology above. On days 4 and 6 (day 6 was the day I got my period), my blood pressure was high enough to make the exercise physiologist suggest I needed to see my doctor about medication for high blood pressure (145 over something? at rest).

Last edited:

dangermouse

@Hutan thats interesting about the water retention (bloating), I get that severely. I'd be interested to see if m BP is higher during those times.