• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lactobacillus plantarum.. Is it d lactate free?

RustyJ

Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'
Hi Tony, it is reassuring that some of the probiotic is showing up in your stool test, which means that a. the probiotic is surviving, and b. the bug is changing your environment.

Something I don't understand, mostly I read that oral probiotics don't hang around after you stop taking them because they are not bacteria strains that can survive for long, so how does that fit into the logic of stopping the VSL. Now it is likely that the lacto will completely die out. I anticipate your next results will be more revealing.

TheMoonIsBlue

For those looking for Lactobacillus plantarum 299v that is room temperature stable,Jarrow Formulas makes a product called Ideal Bowel Support 299V. Looks to average about $20 for 30 capsules.

Metagenics "LactoFlamX" is also Lacto 299v, but it is shipped refrigerated so getting it shipped overseas could be a problem.

Those are the only 2 products I have found that contain only lacto299v.

RustyJ

Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'
Thanks for the heads up TMIB. Not really happy with the refrigerated product from the health food store. The first gen yoghurt was a lot more watery than the second gen, using part of the first. Maybe this is normal.

Cheaper too.

Hi Tony, it is reassuring that some of the probiotic is showing up in your stool test, which means that the probiotic is surviving, and b. the bug is changing your environment.

Something I don't understand, mostly I read that oral probiotics don't hang around after you stop taking them because they are not bacteria strains that can survive for long, so how does that fit into the logic of stopping the VSL. Now it is likely that the lacto will completely die out. I anticipate your next results will be more revealing.

Rusty, i understand what you mean regarding commercial probiotics and gut colonisation. Apparently probiotics must be 'tagged' by your mothers immune system for long term survival and colonisation can take place. All we can realy do is follow the doctors advice at this point in time... What other option do we have:|

Hello everyone,
A week ago i took one pill of gnc ultra 75 billion probiotics. I had extreme side effects from it. My mind felt as if it was racing very fast and i could not concentrate. I felt extremely depressed... It was not a normal depression it felt like a chemical one... As well i had muscle spasms around my neck and my leg. 2 days after i drank a cup of yogurt and i had similar reactions again. It has been 6 days and the feelings are still lingering... I am having a hard time concentrating and my mind does not feel it is functioning properly. Is it possible this is happening because of d-lactate acidosis. If so does anyone know what i should do in order to stop this... Does this feeling go away after a while? Please someone help because i am going through extreme depression because of this.

Mimi

JohnK37, here's what I've read in the medical literature to detoxify D-lactate: CaCO3 (calcium carbonate) and MgCl2 (magnesium chloride). B1 (thiamine) may also help. But for the sake of convenience, see if you have some bicarbonate of soda around the house. Take it in a glass of water and put it in a bath. I also made a note from reading another thread to try citrate and phosphate, but I haven't researched them yet. Good luck and hang in there, I know how it can be.

Thanks for your help everyone...mimi the doctor says that d-lactate acidosis can only occur if one has short bowel...so i guess its not possible for me to have it because i dont have short bowel. Now adster if i did have an amine reaction, what do i do now and how do i know if it is an amine reaction... I feel it going Away little by little. Ut its a really slow and painful process. Thanks once again for everyones help... I believe it can also be a herxhmeir reaction where the good bacteria is fighting the bad bacteria and as a result is releasing toxins... I dont know i just hope this ends soon.

Glynis Steele

Thanks for your help everyone...mimi the doctor says that d-lactate acidosis can only occur if one has short bowel...so i guess its not possible for me to have it because i dont have short bowel. Now adster if i did have an amine reaction, what do i do now and how do i know if it is an amine reaction... I feel it going Away little by little. Ut its a really slow and painful process. Thanks once again for everyones help... I believe it can also be a herxhmeir reaction where the good bacteria is fighting the bad bacteria and as a result is releasing toxins... I dont know i just hope this ends soon.

Hi John,

I found a paper on a child with a complete bowel, but had a known carb malabsorption problem who developed d-lactic acidosis, so it is possible to have this condition without a shortened bowel. There is also short bowel syndrome, where a bacterial overgrowth in the small bowel can develop. If this overgrowth happens to be from a bacterium that produces d-lactic, I am presuming it is possible to develop high d-lactic levels this way, though this is purely speculation. I have just posted a little about d-lactic producing bacteria found in CFS patients, which you can find below, if you are interested.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/probiotic.18546/page-2#post-287238

JGi

I also read the study of the child with the whole colon and D lactic acidosis. I also believe that my child sufferes fron this condition. She is two years old. When she was 15 months, she got terribly ill with all the terrible symptoms of lactic acidosis and lost all her skills. I believe this was due to lactic acidosis, although the dr. didn't diagnose it that way. She started improving on the gaps diet but it is clear that she cannot tolerate any carbs, including fruit. She does ok with a little bit of vegetables. Mostly she eats meats and bone broth. She relapsed last fall due to probiotics that had acidophillus in it. I gave it to her not knowing anything about lactic acidosis at that time. Meanwhile, I've developed the same symptoms. What really helps me, when I'm not feeling well is a few spoons of umeboshi paste, it is highly alkalizing. Also, Cell Food (although controversial) helps because it contains the enzyme that your body uses to get rid of d lactic acid. I've recently had the Organix urine test done for my daughter, which confirmed very high d&l lactic acids. Let me say that I am not a doctor, just a mom sharing my experience with something that appears to be quite rare and no medical doctor was ever able to help me with.
I use the GutPro probiotics without a problem. Another probiotic you can check out is Baby's Jarrowdophillus, I think that's what it's called...

Glynis Steele

xks201

Yep...and d-lactate and l-lactate are converted to each other to make things worse. If it says lacto in front of it it makes lactic acid.

Ninan

I've been taking GutPro for a couple of days and I've got so much lactic acid I can hardly move. Really scary. My stomach doesn't tolerate bicarbonate, trying to fix it with magnesium but no luck yet. Will it go away? Not taking any more of GutPro.

Ninan

Realized I probably just took too much. Difficult to ger the right dosage from powder.