• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Klonopin-Side effects and switching to another med

rlc

Hi TheMoonIsBlue i havn't been able to find anything that says klonopin causes low blood suger, but it does have a huge amount of side effects and withdrawl symptoms this sites got alot of information about it http://www.drugs.com/sfx/klonopin-side-effects.html I hope your doctors investigating for other causes of low blood suger. Personally i wouldn't go anywhere near diazepam, a doctor put me on it when i first got sick, it helped me sleep etc, but coming of it was months of hell, absolute nightmare! just wondering when you say your not on any other meds does that include suppliments, cause they could possibly be interacting with the klonopin. all the best

Otis

Señor Mumbler
Hi,

This is the best site I've seen on how to get off of klonopin. Here's a link to the page on taper schedule and yup Diazepam is the recommended method.

Otis

ETA: I'm an idiot. Caldonia is referincing the same sight I meant to but forgot het link.

caledonia

This website has a withdrawal schedule. Basically you taper off Klonopin onto Valium, then taper off that. Try not to read too much of the scary stuff.
http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/index.htm

I tapered off Xanax twice, once onto nothing and and the next time onto Zoloft. The thing that was difficult was, I would reduce the dose and be fine for a week, then I would have a panic attack, which would make you think about taking more Xanax (thus keeping you addicted.) If I could get through the panic attack, then I was fine with that level. I would just stay on that level and not reduce, until I felt ready for the next round.

Have you had a sleep study? You might find out something surprising and helpful like I did.

Also, I don't think Klonopin or other diazepams have any affect on blood sugar. At least, I'm hypoglycemic and didn't notice any effect.

For hypoglycemia, make sure you're eating balanced meals and snacks every 3 hours, before you're hungry, foggy etc. Stay on a schedule. Balanced means contains lean protein, low glycemic carbs and fat. See the Zone Diet for more info.

Hi The Moon is Blue,
I take Clonazepam from 2-4 times daily for anxiety. Trazadone works very well for me for sleep. I was addicted to Xanax without knowing it, and missed one dose while out of town, since I forgot my meds. 36 hours to the minute I began a violent 6 hour drug withdrawal. After that incident, I tried to come off of it, but too addictive. It took me an entire year to do so, and much of it wasn't pleasant. Had a great Psychiatrist by then. I suggest you talk to a Psychiatrist about these types of meds. Valium is very addictive, and I don't know anyone whose doctors prescribe it for sleep. Hope you have success.

Otis

Señor Mumbler
I get no stage 3/4 either.

Most sleep docs are pulmonologists and if most are unbelievably ignorant about medications. There are some other threads about getting deep stage sleep.

Nielk

I have been taking Klonopin for about 4 years. I take 3mg a night. It's not enough for me to fall asleep so i take Ambien
in addition.
I have tried to taper off the klonopin a number of time and just can't do it.
it's as if my body is addicted to it or needs it. Even a minute lowering of dosage send me off the wall.
I feel like I am stuck with this for the rest of my life.
I don not have any sugar problems though

Otis

Señor Mumbler
I've gone from a max of 2mg down to .5 but I sticking there at least for now. I dropped from 2 to 1.5 cold-turkey and had no problems. From there I went gradual and used Diazepam do the rest.

Klonopin is known to decease deep state sleep, although I read somewhere here that effect is temporary but I don't that that post came with a reference.

I also use Klonopin when I get that tired/wired feeling and my brain is buzzing. .5-1mg for that purpose.

lancelot

Unfortunately, most MD's have resorted to treating CFS/ME with very addictive benzos, opiates, and anti-depressants that results in severe even life-threatening physical withdrawals when stopped. I see these horrible stories reported everywhere. There has to be a better way....

Nielk

Hi Nielk, there was an article you may be able to find online if you google it called "A Brain Low On Gaba Can't shut down, Night or Day" I really believe low GABA is a major problem in people with ME/CFS who have sleep problems. Other meds such as Lyrica and Neurontin and possibly Baclofen affect GABA also, if you can tolerate them. I believe Cheney said that if you brain needs Klonopin (or, GABA meds) trying to stop them will result in major problems. I've never given hynotics a real shot because even my doctors have felt that they weren't what was needed for my type of sleep problem.

P.S. If you aren't already doing so, I'd highly recommend getting a CBC, Liver function test, Urinalysis, and storred Iron test atleast once a year while on Klonopin.

Hi MoonIsBlue,

Thanks for your advice. Yes, I have been told that it's probably a GABA issue. I have tried Neurontin (which I know helps a lot of people) but, it did not help me. I never tried Lyrica because I think it's some form of anti-depressant and my body does crazy things on anti depressant. I do get bloodwork done every three months to check on everything. so far so good. Thanks for your concern.

Jenny

I take 4mg valium for sleep and it works well. I only take it occasionally though. My doc is a bit reluctant to give it to me but I've persuaded him that I wouldn't take it every night.

Jenny

I take diazepam during the day for anxiety (I try and only take it when I have to go out, which is when I'm most anxious). I often find when I get hope I fall asleep, because I'm then out of the anxiety-provoking situation and so the diazepam causes drowsiness.

However, I still don't have refreshing sleep and wake up every morning pretty knackered. I was diagnosed with a B12 deficiency earlier this year and experimented with taking B12 sublinguals (along with a multi-B vitamin tablet and methylfolate) and I found that I was suddenly waking up feeling refreshed and energised, so you might want to give that a try. I can tell you which tablets I used if you're interested.

voner

The MoonIsBlue, et. al.

You might try watching at the video, "FM/CFS Treatment Strategies" An Expert Panel Discussion, from the 2010 OFFER conference -- the providers session.

http://www.offerutah.org/ProviderConference.htm

It's a long video -- I actually have a software gadget that allows me to download it and then convert the file so I can watch it on my TV through my DVD player. Anyway -- maybe two thirds of the way through the video are more they get into a discussion of sleep and the importance of addressing sleep and at one point there's a doctor -- I think his name is Dr. Smith?? And he had the discussion with Cindy Bateman and Dr. Patrick Wood about sleep in fibromyalgia which is pretty similar topic to sleep in ME/fms

I thought it was interesting because I take clonazepam for sleep also. But Dr. Smith talks about how the old sleep methodologies like benzodiazepines (clonazepam/Klonidine) actually mute or inhibit the ability of the body to go into the stage 4? sleep which is so restorative and releases growth hormone and makes memories, etc..

Then he goes on to say that the newer sleep formulations -- I forgot what they are -- don't have this issue. I can't remember the rest of the maybe somebody else can pipe in -- or take a look at the video. I thought this panel discussion was quite enlightening -- it's experienced clinical doctors discussing their ways of of either waiting and treating FMS/CFS

Best of luck to you.

voner

helsbells

im actually trying to taper down klonopin ATM as I think it is really helpful for reactions/pain but really increases fatigue and motivation. I am having a heck of a time and I have just gone from 2 tabs to 1.5 tabs at night. The withdrawal from this is so prottracted that is the reall nuisance. i can come of zopiclone in a couple of days but this always takes months.

muffin

Klonopin to Trazodone - shorter acting med for sleep

I have been on Klonopin for a good 8 or more years. I have slowly gotten up to 5mg (break a tab in half). I feel best after I take the Klonopin and Gabatril at night as it does seem to calm things down and somehow give me "energy". I wish I could take these meds during the day but they do knock me out.

My doctor wanted me to get off Klonopin and onto Trazodone since the half-life of Trazodone was much shorter than Klonopin and the groggy hang-over effect would be lessoned if not gone. The problem is that trying to come down even a tiny bit (using a razor to shave the pill) is not getting the job done. My doctor told me his patients use the liquid Klonopin (didn't know they had that) and reduce that way by drops.

I might overlap the Klonopin and Trazodone to come down and off of the Klonopin - in the future. Klonopin is one hell of a med to get off of and just a tiny reduction for me gave me massive racing thoughts and agitation. Took me a good hour before I understood what was going on as I never had racing thoughts like that. That was a tiny glimpse into the mania part of bi-polar and my heart goes out to people that deal with those exhausting, upsetting racing thoughts.

Traz is also supposed to give a deeper sleep which it does seem to do when I have taken it along with Klonopin. But the problem for me is that if I sleep more than a few hours without waking up and moving, the pain in the lower back the next day is mind-blowing so I must move around, get up, take pills (Ultracet), drink water, etc. several times a night to avoid pain/spasms the next day. But that's just me and my extreme pain. Give Trazodone a try. Hope I'm not repeating a suggestion before me! :oops: