• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Keto-paleo or Low-FODMAP

Mrparadise

I am trying to change my diet at the moment but I am highly confused which diet is superior regarding CFS-symptoms: keto-paleo (myhill) or Low-FODMAP (SIBO, IBD-D)? My stool is pretty liquid (not really diarrhea thogh) and I have SIBO and leaky gut. What do you think is best in order to get better regarding CFS-symptoms?

Many thanks in advance!

ljimbo423

What do you think is best in order to get better regarding CFS-symptoms?

I think the best diet for SIBO is the Low Fodmap/Specific carbohydrate diet. It's a combination of both diets. It's a very strict diet but if you can tolerate it, I think it will work well. I got this PDF of the Low Fodmap/SCD at SIBO.com.

If you don't see good results from diet then you will probably need to look for the underlying cause of the SIBO. For myself, I'm pretty sure it's chronic stress that is keeping my SIBO in place and making it very hard to treat.

So my focus is on lowering my stress levels to more effectively treat my SIBO. Chronic stress is very often a major factor in causing and maintaining SIBO.

Mrparadise

Many thanks for sharing this with me - highly interesting. I guess it is even easier to follow this compared to Myhill's keto-paleo diet (maybe I am wrong here).

I find I need 2 carb meals a day otherwise I start to feel worse energy wise.

I usually have brown rice, is that a complete no no or is it OK?

I want to heal but I don't want to be too restricted if I don't need to be.

I eat no fruits just egss,meat, nuts, seeds, rice, vegetables which I would consider a healthy diet.

I am severe and want to kick sibo and candida so am really struggling with what to do or how to treat.

My detox pathways seem a bit busted so trying the anti candida supps tends to make me even worse