• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Kat Gilderdale Trial Jan 12th - open letter

Min

PERMISSION TO FORWARD AND RE POST ANYWHERE FOR MAXIMUM BENEFIT

Open Letter - Kay Gilderdale trial

In recent days thoughts have been turning to the imminent trial of Kay Gilderdale and people have been asking for details and what they can do for the best.

The latest details I have are on Sophia Mirza's site here http://www.sophiaandme.org.uk/

Annette Barclay went to the trouble of contacting the Court service in Lewes for the very latest information. It is likely to be in Court room 1 at the Lewes Combined Court.

Most likely to be heard from 10am or 10.30am but they won't know for sure until the day before.

There is a website here.

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/cms/aboutus.htm

Now, it has just struck me, that this is about to happen on Tuesday but that isn't the end of it. The trial is expected to last 3 weeks! Although no one has ever been prosecuted for assisted suicide and the Director of Public Prosecutions' guidelines make it unlikely, a guilty verdict could carry a maximum jail sentence of 14 years.

I know that Kay would like support from family and friends and to show solidarity by wearing a white carnation. I know that she would NOT want any extraordinary demonstrations, certainly not vocal or distracting in anyway. If you are uncertain what best to do, I would suggest nothing without Kay's approval first. If you cannot contact her directly I will be pleased to forward any e-mails.

It should never have come to this and it should not be proceeding because it is not in the public interest. The Judge, at a previous hearing, invited the Crown Prosecution Service to drop the case. Unfortunately they declined.

But the CPS can drop it at any time - even before the appointed date.

This is why I suggest that the best thing anyone can do is to write to the Director of Public Prosecutions, Keir Starmer QC, and ask for him to intervene (as he did in the case of the parents of Daniel James) and call for the case to be dropped because it is not in the public interest.

Several of us have written already but I'm sure that the more who do, the greater will be the chance of getting the desired result.

If you are not very good at composing letters, just keep it as simple and as unemotional as possible. Address it to Keir Starmer QC, Director of Public Prosecutions, 50 Ludgate Hill, London EC4M 7EX. Start Dear Mr Starmer and stress that you do not want to discuss any details about the case but wish him to hear your plea that he should intervene and have the case dropped because it is not in the public interest. If anyone still finds it difficult, they can e-mail me and I will help. But please do it now.

You can also post your letter and look at other examples on the Facebook page Prosecuting Kay Gilderdale is NOT in the PUBLIC interest here
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=68630803256&ref=ts#/group.php?gid=103575747984&ref=ts

This has been the greatest example of injustice I have ever known in the M.E. Community and I hope we never see the like of it again.

John
drjohngreensmith@mefreeforall.org
Dr John H Greensmith
ME Free For All. org

Tammie

I just do not have the energy to do anything rt now, but if you could pass along the message that she is in my thoughts and prayers I would apprecaite it. I so feel for her and hope that she has the best possible outcome.

Min

thanks tammie

PERMISSION TO FORWARD AND RE POST ANYWHERE FOR MAXIMUM BENEFIT

Kay is delighted that so many have already written to the DPP (Keir Starmer QC, Director of Public Prosecutions, 50 Ludgate Hill, London EC4M 7EX) and some have forwarded their letters, together with good wishes to her (via me, drjohngreensmith@mefreeforall.org if you can't go directly). We are also aware that there are many more who have written but prefer to keep the matter anonymous or confidential, which is an understandable choice.

The latest is that, due to the appalling Weather, Lewes Crown Court has been closed for 3 days. The backlog and further bad weather forecast may cause a postponement. All her family have taken time off work, booked flights from Ireland and Australia and so are all hoping that some unforeseen element will deliver a solution.

One more shove from the M.E. Community may just do it bcause the Crown Prosecution Service can drop the case any time - even before the appointed date. Please take the time while you are probably holed up somewhere in this awful weather to write to the DPP. It could make that huge difference.

It is unlikely to happen because anyone attending the court, including in the public gallery, is reminded not to discuss details of the trial and if they do it could constitute contempt of court but may I advise people that it would simply be best not to mention anything about the case itself -- indeed when you write to the DPP stress that you do NOT want to do this but just appeal for the case to be dropped because it is not in the public interest.

Bless you for reading this far. Now please add your voice. (All contact details below)
John
drjohngreensmith@mefreeforall.org
Dr John H Greensmith
ME Free For All. org

Keir Starmer QC, Director of Public Prosecutions, 50 Ludgate Hill, London EC4M 7EX. Start Dear Mr Starmer and stress that you do not want to discuss any details about the case but wish him to hear your plea that he should intervene and have the case dropped because it is not in the public interest. If anyone still finds it difficult, they can e-mail me and I will help. But please do it now