• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ka'Chava meal replacement

Jyoti

I tried Ka'chava a couple of years ago and found it wildly overstimulating. It might be wonderful for someone who isn't ill, but obviously my body needs a carefully selected array of inputs, not the standard 'this will make you feel great' collection. I passed my very expensive bag on to my healthy and health-obsessed sister (after giving the Ka'chava a few sets of tries over a few months) and have not heard anything pro or con from her.

BrightCandle

Plant protein is a big issue for making IBS worse for me. Fibers also are a big problem and really depends which fibers. Of the things in it I know cause me problems:
  • Cordyceps - overstimulate and cause me crashes
  • Chia seeds - gas and bloating
  • Spinach - bloating
  • Chlorella - lowers energy
  • Flax - gas and bloating
  • Pea protein - really painful on the guts
  • Celery and Cauliflower - these are the worst thing I can eat I know of for intestine cramps and pain

A lot of ME/CFS people have FODMAP food intolerances and this blend has everything of the worst items, so if you have stomach issues at all I suspect this will make them worse.

Rufous McKinney

this blend has everything of the worst items

I've tried a few....BOKU is a brand made locally. Cost- your first born child.

I decided the pea proteins just do not work well in my case, I have tolerated it a bit but sometimes not, so its iffy.

I also think the "Everything. but the Kitchen Sink" approach overwhelms our digestion. Its just all too much.

I"d be cautious about any number of other things listed there.

there is also something about food combining and those mixes are just too over the top.

Rufous McKinney

This is for a 92 year old woman that just “doesn’t feel like eating “

entire generations of older folks have been fed Ensure.

so there is bound to be something with some simple basic nutrition, which is better than ENSURE (its got corn syrup I seem to recall, not something my Mom should have been consuming but it existed at her rest home by the case.)