• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

JAX Research on Immune Profiles in ME/CFS is now available

Rufous McKinney

Th17/IL-17 have been involved in MS and Psoriasis, and @MartinDH noticed that his psoriasis and his ME/CFS never come together. (when one shows up, the other disappears).

interesting...I had psoriasis on my scalp for many years (and mild ME). It stopped and went away. About three years later, I developed a very strange rash on my legs which led me to Chinese Traditional Medicine. That cleared the rash after 10 months. Neither has ever returned.

My ME is now considerably worse.

Murph

:)
This may be ignorant of me, but to me these graphs don't look all the different between controls and ME/CFS.

This is a good point to address.

The graphs obviously overlap. This is not as useful as finding something that is completely separated. Both for diagnosis or treatment.

Diagnostically it means you can't use the single parameter in question to identify ME/CFS sufferers. But it can still be useful.

For example, consider the role of height in assessing if someone is a man or a woman. The average height of men overlaps with the average height of women, i.e. it's not enough info on its own. But knowing the person's height helps! Especially if you see someone at a distance/can't see their face etc.

As far as treatment goes, a parameter that overlaps with normal people is obviously not enough on its own to cure the illness. If we find something that's 10x higher than normal people and we all have it, trying to get that down would be a priority!

But still, this points to systems that are on average working differently than in normal people, and suggests treatments focused on T-Cells might be useful.

In summary small differences are more like useful clues than breaking the thing open. But we are definitely still in the part of the investigation where useful clues are very welcome.

Not entirely sure about the low cd8 in all CFS/ME patients - I consistently have high th17 but a normal Cd4/Cd8 ratio at 2.0 (it never changes). My T cells are on the higher end of normal due to the Th17 dominance (& slight th1 dominance). CD4 usually sits around 1200 - 1500.

I also have high functioning NK cells which doesn’t fit in to the usual mould of CFS/ME criteria. Perhaps immune modulators will help me here 🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
This is what I found in my lymphocytes when I had them tested 2 years ago, a very high CD4/CD8 ratio with low CD8.:thumbsup:

My whole lymphocyte subset panel including cd8 were elevated. My total lymphocyte count only came down to normal after antivirals, my different subsets did come down slowly but only after several years on antivirals.

I think the one thing we can say about cd8 cells in cfsme is they are abnormal. Some people are high and some people are low. I think that is why in the beginning they couldnt use it to define cfs like a low cd4 in HIV???

Martin aka paused||M.E.

mariovitali

From Derya Unutmaz's presentation at the NIH , note CXCR3 :

c5iWbw5XC2fojotwAC7Nc8gDquwmUQm6fvYVGcscEbnpIMs6mJjK_1MjWDamOwiXx5kIt1xPF9pogFI0uWfdLJUP4iXfI-6sgibiNAfUWMwqLbdtwlclXYNeAWLSayL2_lv4Tn9_

Upon liver inflammation, LI-MAIT cells over- express CXCR3, which is a receptor for IFN-c target genes such as CXCL9/10 and 11, as well as LFA-1 and VLA-4 integrins, suggesting the recruitment of LI-MAIT cells from the blood

Paper : Lights on MAIT cells, a new immune player in liver diseases