• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

EddieB

toyfoof

And how is that doing for you? How long have you been taking those?

Honestly the only ones that I feel do anything are the lysine (I’ve been taking it for years to prevent cold sores) and the valtrex, which limits the flu-like symptoms of PEM. But my doc wants me to stay on the other two for antiviral properties, I may not feel anything but theoretically I’d be more susceptible to infection and PEM without them. It’s hard to know.

ChookityPop

Honestly the only ones that I feel do anything are the lysine (I’ve been taking it for years to prevent cold sores) and the valtrex, which limits the flu-like symptoms of PEM. But my doc wants me to stay on the other two for antiviral properties, I may not feel anything but theoretically I’d be more susceptible to infection and PEM without them. It’s hard to know.

How are you dosing valtrex? Would love to hear how other people dosing it too? How often, how big of a dose etc

Pyrrhus

How are you dosing valtrex? Would love to hear how other people dosing it too? How often, how big of a dose etc

For most applications of Valtrex, 1 gram in the morning and 1 gram at night is typically recommended.

Personally, I take twice that amount spread throughout the day, but my situation is not typical.

Some people have strong reactions and have a hard time tolerating even just 1 gram per day. These people sometimes take lower doses to avoid the unpleasant start-up effects of Valtrex. This is not officially recommended, since taking sub-optimal doses of a direct antiviral can lead to the virus becoming resistant to the drug. In these cases, it may actually be better to stop the drug altogether instead of taking a sub-optimal dose. This can be a difficult decision to make.

Hope this helps.