• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pyrrhus

It is very common for people to experience unpleasant "start-up" effects when starting direct antivirals such as Valtrex.

Sometimes, these "start-up" reactions are referred to as "Herxheimer" or "Herx" reactions, although technically, this term only refers to the use of antibiotics, not to the use of direct antivirals.

As long as you're taking the full dose of Valtrex, these "start-up" effects should eventually go away.

Hope this helps.

morgan_25

It is very common for people to experience unpleasant "start-up" effects when starting direct antivirals such as Valtrex.

Sometimes, these "start-up" reactions are referred to as "Herxheimer" or "Herx" reactions, although technically, this term only refers to the use of antibiotics, not to the use of direct antivirals.

As long as you're taking the full dose of Valtrex, these "start-up" effects should eventually go away.

Hope this helps.
Okay awesome. I just started it the other day and haven’t experienced anything yet. Is there anything else I should expect while starting Valtrex?

Pyrrhus

The only things I can think of is:

-Spread out your doses throughout the day, since the active ingredient has a very short half-life.
-Drink lots of water to avoid kidney crystals.
-If you're taking it for shingles, consider taking 1g four times a day, instead of just the recommended three times.

I'm sure other people will have more feedback for you...

morgan_25

The only things I can think of is:

-Spread out your doses throughout the day, since the active ingredient has a very short half-life.
-Drink lots of water to avoid kidney crystals.
-If you're taking it for shingles, consider taking 1g four times a day, instead of just the recommended three times.

I'm sure other people will have more feedback for you...
Okay I don’t remember how many mgs it is but as prescribed I am only suppose to take it twice a day so I take one in the morning and one in the evening.

sometexan84

Has anyone experienced this reaction from being on Valtrex to treat Ebstein-Barr Virus? Has anyone had any luck with this treatment option?
I herxed for 4-5 days. Which began 5 or 6 weeks into the treatment.

I'm almost 3 months in, and I feel solid :thumbsup:

Okay awesome. I just started it the other day and haven’t experienced anything yet. Is there anything else I should expect while starting Valtrex?

Good for you!! Nothing else to expect, that I can think of. Oh wait, yea, what Pyrrus the Virus said, def drink lots of water.

----EDIT----

Oh wait, he brought up another good point. Spread it out. 1 after wake up, 1 before bed, and rest in between. But really, not much else to it.

Last edited:

toyfoof

I never herxed from Valtex. The only thing that ever caused me to herx was olive leaf extract.

It’s good that you’re aware of the possibility, though, so you’ll hang in there if it happens.

toyfoof

I’ve been on it for nearly 3 years now. I’m currently at 2 grams a day, but have been as high as 5. My EBV titers tend to be pretty consistent, I can’t remember off-hand now what they were (I just had them done recently and doc said they were high but not alarmingly so). If I remember tomorrow (I’m in bed now) I’ll pull them out.

morgan_25

I herxed for 4-5 days. Which began 5 or 6 weeks into the treatment.

I'm almost 3 months in, and I feel solid :thumbsup:

Good for you!! Nothing else to expect, that I can think of. Oh wait, yea, what Pyrrus the Virus said, def drink lots of water.

----EDIT----

Oh wait, he brought up another good point. Spread it out. 1 after wake up, 1 before bed, and rest in between. But really, not much else to it.
Oh wow I wonder why you would get us so late in the treatment? That’s great that is it working for you! I’m quite hopeful. I drink a ton of water anyways and I was told to take it with food as well so I’ve been taking 1 with breakfast and 1 with dinner.

sometexan84

morgan_25

https://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Valacyclovir_in_the_treatment_of_post_viral_fatigue_syndrome
"A “Herxheimer” response with worsening of symptoms and a worsening score continuing for two to six weeks after treatment began was a good prognostic omen"

And there's another Valtrex success story in the forum somewhere, where I think she said she got herx, I wanna say 4 weeks in? Maybe 5?
Oh okay that’s good. I was wondering too how good of a prognosis I have, because I did read somewhere that if it has been years, there is a chance that antivirals won’t be effective. After having this for eleven years, I sure hope that isn’t true.

sometexan84

Oh okay that’s good. I was wondering too how good of a prognosis I have, because I did read somewhere that if it has been years, there is a chance that antivirals won’t be effective. After having this for eleven years, I sure hope that isn’t true.
Only one way to find out! The herx will be a massively positive indicator. I believe Dr. Lerner suggested re-testing EBV 3 months into treatment, and well, once every 3 months once you start. He, and others, largely use the Early Antigen (EA) IgG as a benchmark for treatment improvements. Obviously, you want the numbers to go down. You want IgM and EA IgG to be Negative/Normal, that's the goal.

This reminds me, I have to go re-test my EBV today!

EddieB

Took one valtrex yesterday and it torched my stomach and esophagus. So that’s not going to work.

Ive heard here that famivir was more tolerable for some, when valcyclovir wasn’t. Has anyone had reflux with famivir?

morgan_25

Only one way to find out! The herx will be a massively positive indicator. I believe Dr. Lerner suggested re-testing EBV 3 months into treatment, and well, once every 3 months once you start. He, and others, largely use the Early Antigen (EA) IgG as a benchmark for treatment improvements. Obviously, you want the numbers to go down. You want IgM and EA IgG to be Negative/Normal, that's the goal.

This reminds me, I have to go re-test my EBV today!
Oh okay my doctor was wanting to test me in four weeks so I’ll ask her about re-testing later on as well. So you think if herx doesn’t show up that it may mean the Valtrex isn’t helping?

morgan_25

I’ve been on it for nearly 3 years now. I’m currently at 2 grams a day, but have been as high as 5. My EBV titers tend to be pretty consistent, I can’t remember off-hand now what they were (I just had them done recently and doc said they were high but not alarmingly so). If I remember tomorrow (I’m in bed now) I’ll pull them out.
Okay cool I know that I am unfamiliar with the number because my test was quite different, which I think you saw or I told you it was just a positive/negative test. So does it help your EBV to go inactive, or just lower the numbers?

morgan_25

Took one valtrex yesterday and it torched my stomach and esophagus. So that’s not going to work.

Ive heard here that famivir was more tolerable for some, when valcyclovir wasn’t. Has anyone had reflux with famivir?
Oh wow that’s odd. I personally haven’t had any trouble as far as acid reflux or anything like that with the Valtrex yet.

EddieB

Oh wow that’s odd. I personally haven’t had any trouble as far as acid reflux or anything like that with the Valtrex yet.
I have a lot of trouble with both medications and supplements because of my stomach. Reflux and nausea are listed as possible side effects from valtrex. So as much as I want to use I don’t think I’m going to be able to. I hope it helps you. And it can take a while before you would get a Herx, or not at all, some people don’t.

morgan_25

I have a lot of trouble with both medications and supplements because of my stomach. Reflux and nausea are listed as possible side effects from valtrex. So as much as I want to use I don’t think I’m going to be able to. I hope it helps you. And it can take a while before you would get a Herx, or not at all, some people don’t.
Oh okay I see. Have you been tested for HHV-6? Do you know why you have problems with your stomach? I have a lot of stomach issues as well, but very different from yours. Mine is more like every kind of food I put in my mouth causes problems for my stomach and any sort of medication I take for my stomach, doesn’t work. But my body is like that it general. I always say that I am not immune to ANYTHING other than thins that could potentially help me. There pretty much no affect. Oxycodone, hydrocodone, Valium, tramadol, you name it nothing has much affect on me at all.