• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Itraconazole and benzodiazepines interactions

frozenborderline

So it seems like itraconazole has a serious interaction with benzodiazepines because of its effect on liver enzymes that metabolize benzodiazepines?

I have to take itraconazole for a fungal infection in my lungs and am dependent on benzodiazepines prescribed by a different doctor. Since I'm dependent I cant just stop but I also need to take the itraconazole.

How significant is the pharmacokinetics of the interaction? How much can I expect it to potentate benzos ? Does it matter how much time between the dosing there is?

The doctor didn't seem too concerned about the interaction but it came up as serious online.

Also wondering if the same liver enzymes affect metabolism of antihistamines like benadryl , which I also take daily.

Hip

According to this professional version of the drugs.com interaction checker, Xanax (alprazolam) has an interaction with itraconazole, due to the fact that itraconazole slows down the metabolization of Xanax by liver enzyme CYP450 3A4.

But it also says:
Alternatively, benzodiazepines that are not metabolized by CYP450 3A4 (e.g., lorazepam, oxazepam, temazepam) may be considered in patients requiring itraconazole or ketoconazole.

frozenborderline

That's interesting that lorazepam doesn't cause that issue. I wish it wasn't so tricky to communicate with my doctors and get them to switch prescriptions

frozenborderline

doctor recommended itraconazole for a secondary fungal lung infection. Am not against pharmaceuticals on principle but given my heart issues this one seems particularly risky. It seems fluconazole doesn't work for aspergillus though, so I either have to use itraconazole or find a different antifungal that does. I wonder about other triazoles thatndont cause heart failure or heart issues.

Also all these antifungals have major liver enzyme interactions w meds like benzod and antihistamines. Not a huge deal but if u didn't know about this could be too much.

The other stated thing that could help w the fungal lung infection was hocl and iodine but that will take awhile to ship. Wondering if there's anything that would help intensely now that may be somewhat safe. And am sort of delirious but am trying to research safer antifungals that can work against aspergillus if anyone knows of any ... that would be really helpful

xena

Has anyone here had experience with itraconazole or nebulized hocl or iodine?
@frozenborderline, what did you end up doing with the fungal lung infection?

my lungs have been hurting on and off for the past 2 years and doctors have told me a few times they think i have something fungal going on but haven't gotten it treated yet. not sure who to ask