• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Itchy skin

What causes methyl folate to cause itchy scalp face and neck? Everytime I take methyl folate I get soo itchy. Is it depleting a nutrient that causes itchy skin?

GreenEdge

The methyl version of supplements bypasses the bodies natural ability to regulate the absorption of that nutrient. So if you're sure its the methyl folate, then folate poisoning is a possibility. Well its either that or a reaction to some other ingredient in that supplement.

dannybex

What causes methyl folate to cause itchy scalp face and neck? Everytime I take methyl folate I get soo itchy. Is it depleting a nutrient that causes itchy skin?

Different for different people. I recall that @ahmo has mentioned several times in the forums that itching resolved w/more B12, and then others needed more methionine (they all work together to lower histamine).

dannybex

The methyl version of supplements bypasses the bodies natural ability to regulate the absorption of that nutrient. So if you're sure its the methyl folate, then folate poisoning is a possibility. Well its either that or a reaction to some other ingredient in that supplement.
The link you posted doesn't work anymore, but in the archived version, they're talking about folic acid:

"This vitamin has three components namely: PABA, Glutamic acid, Pteridine"

Methylfolate has none of those.