• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

it is possible that the SSRIs (i.e., fluvoxamine, fluoxetine, escitalopram) with sigma-1 receptor agonisms could be COVID-19 prophylactic drugs

pattismith

Mechanisms of action of fluvoxamine for COVID-19: a historical review | Molecular Psychiatry (nature.com)
07/01/2022
Collectively, fluvoxamine could likely be a prophylactic drug for early-stage SARS-CoV-2-infected patients [7, 22]. However, further multicenter randomized double-blind studies with a large sample size are needed.
Collectively, it is likely that the potent sigma-1 receptor agonist fluvoxamine might ameliorate ER stress-associated inflammatory events (i.e., cytokine storm) due to SARS-CoV-2 replication (Fig. 2) [7, 22].

Given the key role of the chaperone activity by sigma-1 receptor agonist in SARS-CoV-2 replication, it is possible that the SSRIs (i.e., fluvoxamine, fluoxetine, escitalopram) with sigma-1 receptor agonisms could be COVID-19 prophylactic drugs. Current data of fluoxetine and escitalopram for COVID-19 are from an observational study in France [21].

SWAlexander

somewhat related.
Reading for months almost every paper available, watching lectures on YouTube, I´m convinced now that LC and ME is fundamentally related to the malfunction of the endocrine system (metabolic energy) which affects organs and muscle. Either there is a shortage of specific hormone production, or hormones are lost in the bloodstream (high checked by micro clots), or receptors are blogged by viruses or bacteria.

GlassCannonLife

This is very interesting, I noticed it's in the I-recover protocol. Are there any "cleaner" sigma-1 receptor agonists?

Does donezepil not seem like a better option than SSRIs?

Last edited: