• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is the WHO's coronavirus advice that the public should not wear masks putting people's lives at risk?

Hip

There are calls for the WHO's leader Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus to quit, after reports the CIA found a large-scale cover-up of China’s outbreak. The CIA have been warning the White House for months that Chinese officials were vastly understating the number of cases and deaths.

Japan’s deputy prime minister said the WHO should be renamed the "Chinese Health Organisation" for towing China’s line.

Sources:

WHO director faces growing calls to quit for ‘trusting China’s virus cover-up’

How the man running World Health Organisation trashed by Trump as China-centric is a career politician who worked for a Communist junta and became WHO's first NON-doctor Director-General 'following intense lobbying from Beijing'

Last edited:

Hip

I am not normally a fan of Daily Mail readers' comments, but I love the comments posted on this DM article, about the WHO and their face mask advice; glad to see the public's commonsense triumph:

Face masks DO NOT stop healthy people from catching coronavirus and should only be worn by healthcare workers and patients, says WHO

Comments:
If WHO told me it was raining I'd stick my head out of the window to check. I trust them as much as I'd trust a fox in a hen house.
Of course they work! why else would medics wear them?
Sorry. We are wearing them. Idiots can't make up their mind.
The 'china led' WHO are liars! This 'organisation' of ill-repute needs to be disbanded as a matter of urgency!
Why is it recommended for health workers if it doesn't work for the general populace. Either it works, or it doesn't!
No one listens to the W.H.O. anymore. They have lost all credibility
Rubbish from a discredited organisation!
Does anyone listen to the WHO since finding out who's running it?
What a load of nonsense... If masks weren't effective then why do medical staff wear it in hospitals?!! WHO should just quit all togather after this pandemic is over as they have proved beyond doubt to being absolute clowns and total waste of space and money.
According to WHO, only selected people are protected whilst wearing masks. Others are not. What a joke
Not listening. I don't trust the WHO. They have shown they're ineffective and untrustworthy.

Those above quotes are a representative sample from around 2000 comments posted on the article about the WHO's advice on face masks. It shows what public opinion is on this issue.

I found it pleasing that the general public shows commonsense on this issue, and can think for themselves when normally reliable institutions like the WHO start becoming unreliable, due to questionable leadership, and probably questionable advisors.

Last edited:

pattismith

The WHO recommendation is based partly on the fact that Chinese didn't observe much asymptomatic positive patients.
If this happens to be true, we have to wonder why such big asymptomatic positive numbers in Western world:

In China, people are used to wear masks all the time, which probably lower the four known coronavirus to spread each winter (the ones that are responsible of some part of the common cold).

It may be that immunity against these common coronavirus is lower in China than in Europe or USA where masks are not used.
If some crossed immunity exists between common cold coronavirus and covid-19 (pure speculation I admit), then European and US people should be more protected against covid, with more asymptomatic or mild clinical outcomes.

Hd-x

Most (if not all western) countries had underestimated the Covid riscs and they just dont have enough masks for protection - so they tell us fake news that buying a mask wont help, because they certainly need now the few availible masks to protect doctors, nurses and so on ... so that the medical centers arent also going to be shut down by Covid.

But in most lies is something true,
FFP2/3 masks with air valves protect you, but if you have Covid (without knowing it) and if you would wear such a FFP mask with air valve = it didnt protect other ppl. next to you, because yours breathing air leaves the mask unfiltered (over the valve) into the enviroment.

There was a 3D animation from Finnland scientists how far the aerosols spreads (in a supermarket) if 1 person cough and how long it stays in the air (up to 6 minutes):

Last edited:

Hip

There was a 3D animation from Finnland scientists how far the aerosols spreads (in a supermarket) if 1 person cough and how long it stays in the air (up to 6 minutes):

Good animation.

However, so far people seem to think SARS-CoV-2 is not majorly spread by small airborne droplets, although it does happen. It is thought it's mostly spread by the large droplets ejected by the mouth or nose which only have a 1 meter range and quickly fall to the ground, because they are too heavy to float in the air.

So if you are within a meter of someone and they are talking or coughing, those large droplets ejected from their mouth can land directly in your mouth or lips. (Or they can land on a surface, which you may later touch and thus contaminate your hands).

But if you have any form of mask, or even just a simple cloth covering over your mouth and nose, you are going to prevent these large droplets from infecting you.

This is why I think the US CDC recommendation that everyone should wear a cloth face covering or improvised mask in public is excellent advice. By improvising your own mask, you do not use up the face masks needed by frontline medical workers, yet a simple cloth face covering should greatly reduce both your chances of catching the virus from large droplets, and reduce your chances of transmitting it if you happen to be infected.