• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is sinusitis a thing with us?

Booble

Yes! I swear sometimes I think it's all about the sinuses. My nasal passages and sinuses are always congested and inflamed (though not infected) and I've grown to realize that a lot of what feels like brain fog and dizziness and fatigue may very well be sinuses in my head being congested and inflamed.

Rufous McKinney

e may very well be sinuses in my head being congested and inflamed

Mine ...are clear, very dry, and in the far back, get very dry sore inflammed. When I lie on my back, my nose feels like it pinched off with clothes pins- this is some neck position thing, I choke and am more hoarse, when lying on my back (maybe chatting on the phone, I'll start gagging). (side sleeper)

I used to have all the hay fevers and lot sof allergies as a child. Funny now its all dry. But its likely just converted to - other areas of the body.

Our nasophyngeal area is problem- maybe Eppstein Barr is there. Its an area that can give us issues, I'd prefer to not think about.

My husband with out ME is having a lot of odd sinus issue and I think I've determined this nasophyrngeal area is inflamed, or he has some mild infection there or something. His nose is shutting off entirely thankgood ness mine doesn't. I wonder if he needs this zinc treatment I read about.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I think it is related to allergies and sensitivities but I also have TMJ/TMD and that has been acting up again too lately.

I resolved a lot of my sinus problems though by keeping a mental diary of the foods that trigger it and learning to avoid those whenever possible.

Booble

I think it is related to allergies and sensitivities but I also have TMJ/TMD and that has been acting up again too lately.

I resolved a lot of my sinus problems though by keeping a mental diary of the foods that trigger it and learning to avoid those whenever possible.

That's great, Judee, about the food diary helping. Are there specific foods that really trigger sinus issues for you that you can share?

(And yes, I've got the TMJ/TMD thing adding to the mess too.)

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
That's great, Judee, about the food diary helping. Are there specific foods that really trigger sinus issues for you that you can share?

Dairy, yeast, cinnamon (migraine), vinegar, mushrooms (those plug me right up within about 5 minutes), too many sulfur veggies like spinach or broccoli (migraine), coconut.

Anyway, those are just off the top of my head. If I think of anymore I'll try to remember to come back and post.

Also there are the environmental ones too like cleaners, perfume, and dust. As well as supplements like the sulfur b vitamins of thiamine, biotin and NAC.

nerd

I'm not sure it's allergic because this only happens as a reaction to my mite allergy, so basically during sleep, but when it comes to pollen, it's diverse. I tried nasal corticosteroids with antihistamines and mast cell inhibitors against it. I think only the corticosteroids help a little bit for a short time. The antihistamines and mast cell inhibitors have a longer half-time. This supports my assumption that it isn't allergic but inflammatory. But corticosteroids are also immunosuppressive, so they might give EBV and other pathogens an advantage.

If I have dry mucosa, NAC helps. My throat might still feel like sandpaper or like I have fake thirst, but it's not dry at least. Most CFS/ME patients are cysteine deficient anyways, I presume, due to the methylation blockage.

Emmarose47

Mine seems to relate to dust allergy and I take anti hist which was working ..
Also.damp weather and change in weather
I've been steaming , salting , etc ..
The sinus headache is getting me down ..
Been going on for wks now .
Going to contact doc tomor and ask for anti bio

Booble

I have vasomotor rhinitis i.e., blood vessel congestion in nasal membranes. It appeared long before ME though. Microbiome is probably heavily involved.

It's interesting that the last few sentences of the discussion in that paper say that the microbiome is relatively the same between those with chronic rhinitis and the control subjects, with the former reacting and the latter not.

"On the basis of the description that showed that none of the organisms identified were pathogenic and that qualitatively the microbiomes of the patients with CRS were very similar to the controls, we tested the hypothesis that the immune response was aberrantly hyperresponsive in the patient with CRS. Our result, using peripheral blood leukocytes, indicates that some patients with CRS mount a substantial response to the normal microbiome (Figure 6). This result also indicates that the hyperresponsiveness to a normal microbiome is not simply localized to the sinus mucosa. These results may explain why systemic steroid treatment provides relief for some patients with CRS, as well as other comorbidities observed in patients with CRS, including asthma and skin disorders such as urticaria and atopic dermatitis."

I was diagnosed as having chronic sinusitis for 5 years and had a balloon sinuplasty which didn't help. I also had allergy shots, antibiotics, infrequently prednisone which the prednisone would help. Then they said maybe it is a migraine and eventually labelled it atypical face pain, it just kept progressing in severity and time of duration.

The symptoms I call sinusitis have greatly improved since I started getting trigeminal nerve blocks. My constant runny nose has stopped, the eye tears and pressure in sinus region have stopped. My sinus lining no longer feels irritated and raw. I do still look beat up around my eyes with the weather changes. I still don't know why or what this means, what caused this and will this keep working I hope so. I was looking into SPG blocks for it bc I think it's vasomotor rhinitis so this could be of interest to some Vasomotor rhinitis and sphenopalatine ganglion block - PubMed (nih.gov) I don't think I plan on pursuing the SPG block now that the constant irritation and runniness are improved from the trigeminal blocks.

Booble

yup. not been able to breathe out of both nostrils or much of one since i got sick well over 20 years ago.

I remember maybe 2 or 3 times over the past 20 years when I COULD breathe fully through each nostril. I can't remember the circumstances but it actually had a weird, kind of painful feel to it. I guess my nose prefers to be clogged!

sometexan84

It is a thing w/ us. I had chronic sinusitis for like a year.

Viral Rhinosinusitis involving viruses in CFS include Coronavirus and Enterovirus.

I got steroid treatment for my sinusitis... but I didn't know it was because of Enterovirus. Turns out, the steroids exacerbated the Enterovirus, which gave me ME/CFS.

eric_gladiator

I remember that it was a time when I led a normal life but I suspected myself, I had no symptoms other than mild fatigue. One day I started with a very sharp nasal pain and very bad-smelling mucus, I went to the ENT doctor and they riddled me with antibiotics that did not do nothing, later they gave me another medicine and I fell into bed with all the symptoms. Over time I was controlling the sinusitis with serrapeptose and other seeds that I don't remember the name of now, but lately this year I have a bad nose, I got a cold very strong and I got snot there. I suspect some virus in the body that does not want to go away