• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is Ron Davis’s ME/CFS Collaborative Research Center at Stanford Poised for a Breakthrough? - Health Rising

JES

Always nice to hear from OMF, however, not exactly breakthrough news as the headline would suggest. The confirmation of the metabolic trap hypothesis is basically what we have been waiting for a couple of years now. Great that it's closer to happening now, but what if it turns out to be confirmed false? Would be interesting to hear about what plans they have to look at next if this particular idea doesn't turn out correct, which to be frank, is the most likely outcome.

Interesting to see RNA viruses getting some attention as well, this is also something long overdue, but can't blame OMF when nobody else has looked at it either apart from Dr. Chia. COVID-19 being an RNA virus, maybe this will spur some research looking at RNA viruses more closely.

IThinkImTurningJapanese

Can anyone please do a summary?

Conclusion

The Open Medicine Foundation funded ME/CFS Collaborative Research Center at Stanford is in an interesting place. They’re on the cusp of getting some major work done – and have access to some lab samples – but won’t be able to fully get going until Stanford University allows patients into the lab. When that happens, a faster, more effective nanoneedle, the emergence of a new, better way to assess the Metabolic Hypothesis will give Davis’s team will the ability to move forward on several key initiatives.

Unfortunately you can’t predict breakthroughs. We don’t know what these initiatives will produce – we never do – but the ability to move forward more quickly on them is good news indeed. Davis remains convinced that a cure is possible.

RL_sparky

Cort added some additional info to his blog:

"A new research thrust has emerged, courtesy of Chris Armstrong PhD - an Australian researcher who’s been working with the Open Medicine Foundation (OMF) over the past year. Several years ago, Armstrong said he was "looking for Waldo" but wouldn't say what Waldo was. All we knew was that something was not adding up for him in the metabolite results. That something was apparently nitrogen."

"Metabolomic studies suggested that people with ME/CFS were using amino acids for fuel at a faster rate than healthy controls. That was odd – as amino acids are usually used for fuel at an elevated rate during a stress response or starvation. When you're starving, for instance, your body will save your carbohydrates for the brain and immune system, the rest of the body will go after your fats, and only then does it begin to break down your muscles and connective tissues."

See Cort's blog for the rest of this update!

Rufous McKinney

"Metabolomic studies suggested that people with ME/CFS were using amino acids for fuel at a faster rate than healthy controls. That was odd – as amino acids are usually used for fuel at an elevated rate during a stress response or starvation.

Something about our illness- feels like a type of starving to me. And all the collagen missing from my body, and weakened ligaments- this "feels like" its really true.

Mary

Moderator Resource
Something about our illness- feels like a type of starving to me. And all the collagen missing from my body, and weakened ligaments- this "feels like" its really true.
I think we are in a semi-state of starvation - this is why we (or I at least!) have to take handfuls of pills every day just to have my limited functioning. I didn't need all this before I got sick. I think our cells are not able to absorb nutrients properly - I think it's been proven that our cell membranes are not that permeable. There's a very interesting theory that our cells are hypoxic (low in oxygen), which causes inflammation, which prevents the cells walls from absorbing the nutrients they need and expelling toxins. I think this is what the interest in HBOT is all about - it somehow forces oxygen into the cells and gets them functioning again - or something like that! It's also related to Phair's metabolic trap theory, which I am in the process of trying to wrap my head around.