• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is PEM exclusive to ME?

Booble

Thank you, Lenora.
I wonder if any studies have been done related to mother's viruses impacting baby in utero.
My mother was sick with a very bad cold when I was born.
And I've been pretty much broken from day 1. So..... (?)

Booble

Huh?

POTS, MCAS, and Sjogren's are all well-known symptoms or comorbidities of ME.

These diagnoses only reinforce the diagnosis of ME, in no way could they possibly invalidate it...

True.
I just meant that is "all" I have when I feel like ME/CFS is supposed to mean something ....less defined (?) I guess.

You are right of course. I shouldn't second guess.

Rufous McKinney

One wonders if it all can be lumped into "Overactive System"

I just read online how to fix the Overactive Immune System....problem solved.

My mother was sick with a very bad cold when I was born.
And I've been pretty much broken from day 1. So..... (?)

This topic is really bothering me: that I failed to fully interview Mom. Having to be forensic about it, sucks. Piecing together the clues...I got to One Year before the unraveling proceeded.

My Mom blamed food/pediatrician/at two months start foods...as giving me all these allergies....but I want to know about her Gut.

Booble

I just read online how to fix the Overactive Immune System....problem solved.

This topic is really bothering me: that I failed to fully interview Mom. Having to be forensic about it, sucks. Piecing together the clues...I got to One Year before the unraveling proceeded.

My Mom blamed food/pediatrician/at two months start foods...as giving me all these allergies....but I want to know about her Gut.

Interesting.

It was a discussed thing about my mother being sick when I was born - not in relation to my condition -- she really never knew my condition - -but she would tell the story about being sick.
And that I turned blue and she thought I was one of the "blue babies" that were a thing in the 1960s. She wailed, "my baby is blue!" and then my dad and grandmother told her know -- we just saw her and she's pink and healthy. I guess I choked on the fluid. Figures.
At 6 months, as I've mentioned before I got chicken pox from head to toe and in my mouth and nostrils and private parts.
So you want to give me that secret for how to fix an overactive immune system?

Rufous McKinney

So you want to give me that secret for how to fix an overactive immune system?

It was a basic internet answer along the lines of: eat right, sleep better, take vitamins...exercise too.

My mom knew I was an allergic sickly kid. I imagine I was exhausting to cope with,. But my decades mild just computed as reasons to fall apart now and then. She missed the news alert about ME....

lenora

Good day everyone. I truly believe that in our mothers' time so many things were still unknown, and couldn't be helped anyway.

E.g. My mother went through WWII and was in WRAF's in England, landing planes after radar became available. Thus one would suppose that proper nutrition for that branch wasn't a problem. She married an American GI and moved to the states, but before that, there was terrible pollution in London. She was always teensy (to say the least). Her diet was severely lacking in many areas, plus she had severe lung problems that later involved in removing a lung. So yes, I would think a virus could have an impact.

My father has been dead for 64 years, my mother for over 20. I think we all wish we could ask the questions that are so important to us now, but we didn't have that emotional range to know any better. For those of you who still have parents, please get as much info as possible....it helps.

Can the parental overall health make any difference. Of course, just look at the children of alcoholics (Fetal Alcohol Syndrome) and drug addictions. We still don't all of the many problems that could be caused or avoided, but we at least know that paternal health matters.

@Booble.....I hope you don't get or haven't had shingles. There is a two part 95% effective vaccine that you can obtain and is lifelong. If nothing else, it cuts down on any after-effects that can and do remain for a lot of us. If you're over 50, you're eligible. Yours, Lenora.

Booble

When I was a kid I had the BEST medicine. It was green. We called it "green medicine." It was an antihistamine. I believe it was called Novahistine. Later it was banned. Turned out it had some lovely drugs in it. It made little Booble feel better.

Rufous McKinney

It was an antihistamine. I believe it was called Novahistine.

that sounds familiar......

I was put on actual shots at one.....I can remember being in my crib, in the carpet less, stuffed animal-less, pet-less house....suspect medical PTSD started around the age of ONe.

Covered in rashes, bathing in Aveno....or Phisohex (that other Green Bottle Stuff, nasty). Goats milk delivered to the door, absolutely awful tasting. Vaporizers. Metholatum (green bottle)

do you remember Camphophenique? Green stuff. In a bottle, Smelled intense.

I was put on phenobarbital as a 7-8 year old. My parents could not explain this when I asked as an adult.

Booble

that sounds familiar......

I was put on actual shots at one.....I can remember being in my crib, in the carpet less, stuffed animal-less, pet-less house....suspect medical PTSD started around the age of ONe.

Covered in rashes, bathing in Aveno....or Phisohex (that other Green Bottle Stuff, nasty). Goats milk delivered to the door, absolutely awful tasting. Vaporizers. Metholatum (green bottle)

do you remember Camphophenique? Green stuff. In a bottle, Smelled intense.

I was put on phenobarbital as a 7-8 year old. My parents could not explain this when I asked as an adult.

Oh wow. Your poor little body didn't have a chance.

Yes, I definitely remember the name Camphophenique but can't really remember what about it.

Phenobarbital? Oh my!

I had allergy shots for mosquitoes of all things. I remember the day my mother told me I'd have to get shots once a week at the pediatrician's office. I cried and screamed NO. But it really wasn't bad. Got a lollypop after each one.

And look at us -- -having hijacked Chookie's PEM thread. Sorry!