• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is it all histamine ?

high histamine reduces T cells ability to function properly , non functioning T cells cause infections to be chronic . So virus infects body and than we have raised histamine levels and food and environmental allergies. The constant release of histamine shuts down immune function .

Anyone have any tips on lowering histamine in body other than the obvious stuff found on google like diet etc ?

Wishful

I haven't noticed any histamine problems, other than a couple of allergies that flare up a few days a year. No change in ME symptoms with that increase in histamines. So no, I don't think histamines are significantly involved with ME, at least for most people.

Anchoress

OP many of us, myself included, take OTC anti-histamines regularly with no change in the CFS.

Can you list supplements?

I'm also interested in supplements, I've been trying to compile a list to try so I can take NAC again.

I have a strong histamine reaction after a few days of taking NAC in a very small amount, but for the first two days I feel so amazing :rolleyes:

Learner1

Apparently, NAC will increase histamine. It might not be wise to take it by itself, but only as a part of a comprehensive supplement program.

Have you looked through this for ideas?

https://www.selfhacked.com/blog/deal-histamine/

Many of us have MCAS, mast cell activation. See attached for info.

Attachments

• Afrin Drugs for MCAS.pdf
    891 KB · Views: 17
  • Afrin 2014 Presentation of MCAS.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 6

Gingergrrl

Can you list supplements?

I apologize I was so slow to get back to this thread!

Apparently, NAC will increase histamine.

My MCAS doctor told me that NAC increases histamine and (at least in my case), he told me not to ever take it. I used nebulized glutathione instead (back in 2015) when I was trying to detox from toxic mold exposure.

In general as far as supplements that lower histamine, the ones that I took were Quercetin, NeuroProtek (which has Quercetin, Rutin, and Luteolin), and I also took Daosin (which comes in many forms/brands). I have also heard of people taking Mangosteen and Royal Jelly (but I never tried either of those). At present, the only supplement I take for MCAS is Quercetin since it is a natural anti-histamine.

I also continue to take Ketotefin (from a compounding pharmacy), plus Zyrtec and Pepcid. Everyone is different what works for them though and I tried many, many things that did not work for me. Hope this helps.

Apparently, NAC will increase histamine. It might not be wise to take it by itself, but only as a part of a comprehensive supplement program.

Have you looked through this for ideas?

https://www.selfhacked.com/blog/deal-histamine/

Many of us have MCAS, mast cell activation. See attached for info.
Thanks, the MCAS info is really thorough and it's definitely something I need to figure out.

I think I'll steer clear of NAC and try glutathione which I'd like to increase.

Incorporate mast cell stabilizing herbs and foods into your diet. Teas are good. I do well with nettle and tulsi (holy basil) tea. Alison Vickery has some excellent information on her website. Quercetin didn’t work for me personally. I take vitamin C.

@MartinDH is taking H1-Antihistamines for 1,5 weeks now, starting with 5mg and the current dosis of 15mg per day. I read that it would be good not to start with H1,H2 and stabilzers at the same time. Until now he has no significant problems with H1. Do you think it is better to wait another few days or can we go on with H2 and stabilzers?

Thanks in advance
Michael

ahmo

@Muddy Vitamin C + Calcium help pull histamine out of the body. I used to put them into footbaths. I have persistent, but probably relatively mild, histamine and mast cell issues. I don't do well w/ pharmaceuticals, including OTC. But rutin (NOW, non-citrus origin) generally works well for me. I take royal jelly twice daily, and when in a mast cell flare, mangosteen. (mast cell not necessarily same as histamine probs. Holy basil (tulsi) also seems to help, and has some other properties, too. I include it as well as nettle in my green tea mix. good luck

Good site for histamine info, lowhistaminechef.com, which will take you to the new name of that site. Lot's of info, including which probiotics to avoid, and cooking/food info. good luck.

gumman123

Histamine is really important. Not sure why you would want to lower it. Saying to lower histamine is kind of like saying breathe less air or drink less water.

Histamine is really important. Not sure why you would want to lower it. Saying to lower histamine is kind of like saying breathe less air or drink less water.

The problem isn’t histamine itself, it’s having too much histamine. Either from consuming too much (i.e., scombroid poisoning), or not having sufficient DAO to break it down. Think of having a histamine bucket/threshold. When it “overflows”, you get unpleasant symptoms.

pibee

my brain fog responds almost 100% to antihistamines, it's just random too, sometimes does , sometimes doesnt, and sometimes causes some mood swings..
but i have yet to try few antihistamines at once as MCAS protocols suggest.

Learner1

Maybe you should give it a try? They've dramatically helped my symptoms. My doctor typically prescribes a combination of drugs - I take ketotifen, ranitidine, cromolyn sodium, quercetin, and curcumin, with benadryl and an EpiPen for more acute symptoms. But there are many other choices, too.