• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is electro-magnetic field (EMF) hypersensitivity a real thing?

Dysfunkion

If you ever find your EMF meter or get a new one I'd be curious to know what kind of EF reading you get from your keyboard/mouse. Even if they are low voltage they can carry EF from other devices connected to your computer. It could also be proximity to other devices near your computer setup or the computer/monitor itself.

For instance, I've noticed that ethernet cables and associated devices that use 1gpbs instead of the slower previous standard of 100mbps tend to induce a 1kV/m EF reading which by itself isn't that bad. But the problem is that this EF spreads to any device they are connected to and if snaked around other electronics I also noticed they will induce an EF reading into those devices. For instance I had an LED monitor that was off and disconnected from power but had the ethernet cable running right under it and it read a uniform 1kV/m across the entire surface of the monitor.

So I'm wondering what other electronics cables you might have criss-crossing around or near your computer that might also introduce EF into anything else connected or nearby? EF like a 1kV/m (1000V/m) reading I was getting dissipates at a short distance but if it spreads into anything nearby even if it's off/unplugged, it can increase the surface area and exposure. I found it even spread onto an aluminium tripod I had a tablet on connected to ethernet.

I was thankfully able to remove the 1kV/m reading from parts of my ethernet by introducing a grounded ethernet surge protector between the modem/router and the device I use most, dropping the readings to nearly 0V/m. Whilst grounded ethernet surge protectors aren't specifically designed for this purpose, I found the Ubiquiti model to do the job and wasn't too pricey and it's a reputable brand. If you're outside the US though be warned that it might not come with a ground/earth cable, so I would suggest checking that first and sourcing one.

There are other ethernet grounding options out there too, but I wouldn't recommend getting anything that doesn't come with an earth/ground cable specifically designed for your country unless you know where to get a cable beforehand.

I never considered criss-crossed cables before, I should organize them a bit better but there isn't too much left even plugged in.Like the sound system, computer, and monitor is plugged into the power strip under the desk to the back. the sound system is connected to the back of the computer but that's it. My fan is usually connected to another outlet not right next to me in the room but it's a small one and removing that I noticed nothing so it's obviously not a huge contributing factor. I could try inserting a ground ethernet surge protector in the middle of the long wire though. I include as little of it as I need in the room because the more of that wire is in here, the worse I feel.