• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is Cancer a SYMPTOM of XMRV? and should cancer patients be tested for XMRV?

HopingSince88

I have two neighbors with cancer. One is a woman who has been battling ovarian cancer for at least 10 years. The second (in a different household) has recently been diagnosed as stage 4 with adenocarcinoma of the tonsils.

I have not had any conversations with any neighbors about XMRV, but am considering sending them information on the studies and encouraging them to get tested.

I wonder if the Cleveland Clinic would be interested in the tonsil tissue? Do you think that they are getting swamped with folks offering tissue?

I am concerned that oncologist have no idea that XMRV even exists.

What do forum members think about the idea that all patients with adenocarcinomas (cancer of the lymph tissues) be tested for XMRV. Has WPI or Cleveland given any guidance on this?