• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is Apheresis an effective treatment for Long Covid and ME?

Countrygirl

Dr Asad Khan discussing the promising new ‘Apheresis’ treatment for #longcovid on BBC News. He has gone from being in a wheelchair to walking short distances.

IS APHERESIS A CURE/TREATMENT FOR LONG COVID AND ME?

https://cardiab.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12933-021-01359-7

Persistent clotting protein pathology in Long COVID/Post-Acute Sequelae of COVID-19 (PASC) is accompanied by increased levels of antiplasmin
Cardiovascular Diabetology volume 20, Article number: 172 (2021) Cite this article

Abstract

Background

Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-Cov-2)-induced infection, the cause of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), is characterized by acute clinical pathologies, including various coagulopathies that may be accompanied by hypercoagulation and platelet hyperactivation. Recently, a new COVID-19 phenotype has been noted in patients after they have ostensibly recovered from acute COVID-19 symptoms. This new syndrome is commonly termed Long COVID/Post-Acute Sequelae of COVID-19 (PASC). Here we refer to it as Long COVID/PASC. Lingering symptoms persist for as much as 6 months (or longer) after acute infection, where COVID-19 survivors complain of recurring fatigue or muscle weakness, being out of breath, sleep difficulties, and anxiety or depression. Given that blood clots can block microcapillaries and thereby inhibit oxygen exchange, we here investigate if the lingering symptoms that individuals with Long COVID/PASC manifest might be due to the presence of persistent circulating plasma microclots that are resistant to fibrinolysis.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/10/211004104134.htm

Inflammatory micro clots in blood of individuals suffering from Long COVID
Date:October 4, 2021Source:Stellenbosch UniversitySummary:Researchers have found an overload of various inflammatory molecules, 'trapped' inside insoluble microscopic blood clots (micro clots), in the blood of individuals suffering from Long COVID.Share:
FULL STORY

New research indicates that an overload of various inflammatory molecules, literally "trapped" inside insoluble microscopic blood clots (micro clots), might be the cause of some of the lingering symptoms experienced by individuals with Long COVID.

This unexpected finding was made by Prof Resia Pretorius, a researcher in the Department of Physiological Science at Stellenbosch University (SU), when she started looking at micro clots and their molecular content in blood samples from individuals with Long COVID. The findings have since been peer-reviewed and published in the journal Cardiovascular Diabetology in August 2021.

I recall 30 or so years ago, that 'sticky' blood was suggested as a cause of ME, and blood-thinning treatment was recommended. Then MEResearchUK published papers showing that the endothelium of the vessels are 'severely' damaged.

Note that Long Covid patients have PEM and are now being given a diagnosis of ME.

I know a severe ME patient has just successfully received this treatment.

It is very early days, but maybe the UK clinics now have something to replace GET and CBT.....a real and effective treatment????

Countrygirl

Photograph of Dr Asad Khan on the phone to Dr Willy Weir whilst with his German Dr at her clinic.

1634917824678.png

Countrygirl

https://apheresisassociation.org/

Overcoming Long Covid with Help Apheresis
Millions of Long Covid Sufferers can now be helped. Dr. Beate Roxane Jaeger pioneered in creating and publishing the first successful treatment for Long Covid in cooperation with the Apheresis Association. The first patient was fully cured in February 2021, Dr. Jaeger went public with the announcement of a successful cure in July 2021. The Apheresis Association is activlely engaged in getting the word out to the people who need it the most - Long Covid sufferers all over the world.
See all about it: 3sat TV Report: Help Apheresis for Long Covid 30th September 2021 (Original: Here from 4:45)
Read all about it: NZZ Article (English Translation: Here)

Our Aim: Create Availability
No sufferer should be left behind - let's spread the word and create more availability. In our group we coordinate the great effort to help all Long Covid sufferers.
Join us on Facebook: Our Facebook Group

Our mission
We want to make Help Apheresis available for Long Haulers. Not only for a few. For all. We need your help for this! From fundraising to volunteering - we will only make this happen if we stand together as a community. More than hundred million people worldwide are debilitated through Long Covid. Time to create change!
Follow us on Telegram: https://t.me/helpapheresislc

Mary

Moderator Resource
I just watched the first interview linked above with Dr. Beatte Jeager and Dr. Khan - it's really worth a watch! Dr. Khan mentions ME, he talks about being disbelieved, etc., he is very clear that Long Covid patients are ill, that exercise makes them worse, and by implication he's talking about ME as well.

He mentioned a venous oxygen saturation test which was diagnostic for Long Covid - easy to do it seems - his level was 32, and normal was 65-75 - I'm wondering if this test is this something we could use for ME/CFS as well? The test clearly shows his level of disability - it's not all in his head! And he empathized with non-medical professional patients and the difficulty they have in obtaining decent care. It was hard enough for him with his medical background.

I'm going to watch more later -- thanks for posting @Countrygirl !

Rebeccare

Moose Enthusiast
Just in case anyone else read this and thought: "What the heck is apheresis?"
https://www.yalemedicine.org/conditions/apheresis

Apheresis
  • •A technology that separates donated blood components to treat certain illnesses
  • •For people with sickle cell disease, leukemia, myasthenia gravis, and other blood disorders
  • •Process takes two to four hours and is similar to a regular blood donation
  • •Involves laboratory medicine, clinical hematology laboratory, pediatric hematology and oncology

Countrygirl

@Countrygirl - Did they recover from ME? And do you know how many rounds of HELP Apheresis they went through?

Yes, I was told about one there that had been bedbound for seven years and she is up and walking now.
Another from the UK had to have 14 rounds to recover. Asad himself has ME and was due to attend Dr Weir's clinics in my home, but his appointment clashed with his treatment in Germany. We kept a close interest in his treatment and response and he has been sending some information and photographs of his thickened blood which blocked the machine a number of times.

Dr Weir is suggesting to Dr Jaeger how to set up a trial for publication. Meanwhile he, with Asad, and Dr Jaeger will be writing a paper on it. I will post it here as soon as it is done.

Those who were treated last January remain well and have not relapsed.

There are eight machines in the UK which could treat us, if the NHS will fund it.

Last edited:

Oliver3

Yes, one I was told about there had been bedbound for seven years and she is up and walking now.
One other from the UK had to have 14 rounds to recover. Asad himself has ME and was due to attend Dr Weir's clinics in my home, but his appointment clashed with his treatment in Germany. We kept a close interest in his treatment and response and he has been sending some information and photographs of his thickened blood which blocked the machine a number of times.

Dr Weir is suggesting to Dr Jaegar how to set up a trial for publication. Meanwhile he, with Asad, and Dr Jaegar will be writing a paper on it. I will post it here as soon as it is done.

Those who were treated last January remain well and have not relapsed.
Amazing
There are eight machines in the UK which could treat us, if the NHS will fund it.

SWAlexander

https://apheresisassociation.org/

Overcoming Long Covid with Help Apheresis
Millions of Long Covid Sufferers can now be helped. Dr. Beate Roxane Jaeger pioneered in creating and publishing the first successful treatment for Long Covid in cooperation with the Apheresis Association. The first patient was fully cured in February 2021, Dr. Jaeger went public with the announcement of a successful cure in July 2021. The Apheresis Association is activlely engaged in getting the word out to the people who need it the most - Long Covid sufferers all over the world.
See all about it: 3sat TV Report: Help Apheresis for Long Covid 30th September 2021 (Original: Here from 4:45)
Read all about it: NZZ Article (English Translation: Here)

Our Aim: Create Availability
No sufferer should be left behind - let's spread the word and create more availability. In our group we coordinate the great effort to help all Long Covid sufferers.
Join us on Facebook: Our Facebook Group

Our mission
We want to make Help Apheresis available for Long Haulers. Not only for a few. For all. We need your help for this! From fundraising to volunteering - we will only make this happen if we stand together as a community. More than hundred million people worldwide are debilitated through Long Covid. Time to create change!
Follow us on Telegram: https://t.me/helpapheresislc

I sent out a message to Dr. Beate Jaeger asking if Apheresis work for people with ME/CFS as well?

SWAlexander

I think I was on the right track when I ask many times if anybody was tested for thrombosis (D-Dimere). Apheresis is dissolving the Clots, blocking alveole. Alveoles are small pit, cavity, or saclike dilation, such as a honeycomb cell in the lung.

Last edited:

SWAlexander

I've chatted with Asad a few times before had came to Germany. I've written him if he thinks that it works for us as well. He is in Mühlheim in a clinic @Countrygirl mentioned. It's not that far. I also have a clinic in my city which offers H.E.L.P. apharesis. The problem is that it’s very expensive… more than 1500€ per round.

There is another clinik in Ulm.

5vforest