• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Iodine - The Biggest Result I've Had So Far

@Wishful, do you find that iodine and T2 have the same effect, ou similar effects? I'm thinking about what I should expect when I try T2.

Wishful

For me it's the same effect. A small drop of tincture of iodine has the same 'resetting' effect as 100 mcg of T2 (3-5 diiodothyronine). Taking both has no different effect, either for magnitude or duration, nor does taking more of either.

Supplemental T2 does act on the thyroid gland to reduce T4 production, so if you have thyroid dysfunction, it's possible that you might have a negative effect. I didn't notice any such effects.

I did discover that the T2 capsules did deteriorate after several years (the bottle wasn't sized for being taken once every 21 days). I was horrified that maybe T2 had stopped working for me, but iodine worked, so I looked at the date on the T2 bottle. May 2014 :rolleyes:

Wishful

All too common with ME: finding things that you think are working, but either it was some other coincidental factor, or the treatment only had a short term effect.

@jtex were you taking iodine every day? For me, taking it daily made it stop working. One dose every 21 days continues to work for me. When I find something that seems to help, I worry that taking too much or taking it too often will make it stop working, so I try to find the minimal dosage and maximum delay between doses that works.

Jo86

has anyone had a "paradoxical reaction" from Iodine ?
I've been taking around 150μg as part of the B12 oil protocol, with no reaction whatsoever.
Recently I bought some oral Iodine (Potassium Iodide form), they're 400μg, and twice now I've taken 2 or 3 (so about 1mg) at once and felt a big increase in symptoms (brain fog, and sleepy oddly enough; energy sucked out of me etc) but it's always so hard to know what causes symptoms, could be it's not the Iodine but just what I ate along with it that day, or just a rush of fatigue from physical efforts earlier that day...

Do you think a huge bout of fatigue after ingestion of Iodine means something ?
All I know is my Iodine was low in a hair tissue mineral analysis.

Tsukareta

I'm trying iodine today for the first time actually, but not for the thyroid, I think its part of a general purpose 'detox' plan, its some sort of antifungal effect or antimicrobial, to try and correct candida. sibo etc. I will tell you if it improves my energy level, but I will start with low amounts e.g. half a drop, have to be careful with this stuff, its easy to overdose and you only should be taking a few drops per day.

Wishful

The first time I tried iodine was the tiny amount in a multivitamin/mineral tablet. It gave me full temporary remission. It only worked for the first few doses, then stopped working. Many years later, I needed T2 or iodine (some becomes T2), one dose every 21 days (the reduction in symptoms lasted a very consistent 21 days, and abruptly returned on day 22 if I forgot). Taking it daily made it stop working. Taking it more frequently than 21 days didn't help more. So, be aware that supplements such as iodine may not be all that simple.