• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Interview with Ken Lassesen: Using AI to Alter the Microbiome

Hi guys,

It has been a long time since posting/lurking here.

I did an interview with Ken Lassesen who has had CFS a few times and overcome it through manipulating the gut microbiome. He posts here sometimes I believe

He has a pretty interesting site you can submit microbiome samples to

If you want to learn about it, here is the link from the website, or you can subscribe on most podcast players under "quax"

https://quaxpodcast.com/2020/02/ep-49-interview-ken-lassesen-using-ai-to-improve-the-gut-microbiome/

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
If you want to learn about it, here is the link from the website, or you can subscribe on most podcast players under "quax"

Thank you for posting the interview. Is a transcript available for those of us who can't listen to audio?

helios

I went ahead and ordered both American Gut and Thryve... I might order GI Maps as well through my ND. I will be posting reviews on how these tests helped (or not) in the next couple of months.
Were your results similar from both labs?

Peyt

Were your results similar from both labs?
I ended up only sending in the Thryve.
It was somewhat helpful but not life changing,
That was a year ago. I am glad i did it though.
Thryve does not custom make the probiotics. In fact, they have a few pre-made formulas and they will send
you what is the closest pre-made formula based on your results. That did not work for me.

So after their formula failed I tried to figure it out myself by using Ken's site but it was a bit confusing for me.
I bought a bunch of single strain Probiotics from Custom Probiotics and tried them, out of 8 or 10 that I bought
only 3-4 were helpful..and that's why I say I am glad I did it.

But recently I discovered Sungenomics, and I ordered a test with them. What's different about Sungenomics is they will figure out the right formula and make the custom probiotic for you. I am currently waiting to try the first batch which I expect to receive in 3 weeks. We shall see how theirs works out.

Last edited:

tyson oberle

But recently I discovered Sungenomics, and I ordered a test with them. What's different about Sungenomics is they will figure out the right formula and make the custom probiotic for you. I am currently waiting to try the first batch which I expect to receive in 3 weeks. We shall see how theirs works out.
I emailed Sun Genomics to ask them how many different strains of probiotics they have. I also asked a few other questions. This is the reply I got:
Thanks so much for your questions. There are actually thousands and thousands of bacteria that live inside the human body and exist in our environment. There are good and bad bacteria, correct. Probiotics are good bacteria strains, yes. We have over 80 probiotic strains that we have in inventory for the custom formulas. Typically, each formula has 4-8 probiotic strains and 1-3 prebiotics (plant ingredients).

My concern is that "over 80 probiotic strains" constitutes less than 1% of the "thousands and thousands of bacteria" in the human body so I wonder if that would be enough to work with?

Peyt

I emailed Sun Genomics to ask them how many different strains of probiotics they have. I also asked a few other questions. This is the reply I got:
Thanks so much for your questions. There are actually thousands and thousands of bacteria that live inside the human body and exist in our environment. There are good and bad bacteria, correct. Probiotics are good bacteria strains, yes. We have over 80 probiotic strains that we have in inventory for the custom formulas. Typically, each formula has 4-8 probiotic strains and 1-3 prebiotics (plant ingredients).

My concern is that "over 80 probiotic strains" constitutes less than 1% of the "thousands and thousands of bacteria" in the human body so I wonder if that would be enough to work with?

This is the best we have at the moment, hopefully in 10 years there will be another company that can produce a product that will cover every single bacteria....
The point is, out of all the companies that offer this service, this is one of the few that actually makes a custom formula.... As I shared my experience regarding the other company, theirs is a pre-made one... so big step forward!

helios

I ended up only sending in the Thryve.
It was somewhat helpful but not life changing,
That was a year ago. I am glad i did it though.
Thryve does not custom make the probiotics. In fact, they have a few pre-made formulas and they will send
you what is the closest pre-made formula based on your results. That did not work for me.

So after their formula failed I tried to figure it out myself by using Ken's site but it was a bit confusing for me.
I bought a bunch of single strain Probiotics from Custom Probiotics and tried them, out of 8 or 10 that I bought
only 3-4 were helpful..and that's why I say I am glad I did it.

Thanks for reply. I was curious if you used more than one lab if the results were very similar as there is criticisms of the legitimacy of the labs and I read a post somewhere that said the same sample sent to 2 different labs yielded different results which is disappointing to read.

Best of luck with Sungenomics (had not heard of them prior) and please report back on your outcome (success hopefully). I have to admit I'd be surprised if they were able to provide a total comprehensive probiotic solution as you many have missing or very low level strains for which there is no commercial probiotics available. As someone else posted they cater for 80 which is impressive but just a fraction, but hopefully they cover key ones for you.