• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

xcell

Always looking for new knowledge and options!
Hello,

can somebody tell me the required dosage of interferon against infection with entervirus and what type of interferon?

We have a doctor who would prescribe it after a Professor has mentioned that it looks like a enterovirus infection (my brother is complete paralysed).

I know it is a special question but we have to try everything.

Hip

I believe in the past when Dr Chia treated enterovirus ME/CFS patients with interferon, he used 3 million IU of interferon alpha injected subcutaneously 3 times weekly, with the course of treatment lasting a few months.

Dr Chia's paper says:
Combination therapy, Interferon α-2b (Intron-A, Schering-Plough) 3 million units was administered subcutaneously 3 times a week, along with 400 mg ribavirin, twice a day, to 5 patients who were enteroviral RNA positive and continued to have high titers of neutralizing antibody for CBV.

Dr Chia has in the past used interferon alpha often in combination with inflammation gamma or delta. See this article.

Many of these patients made dramatic improvements from interferon, like from bedbound to back to work, but they would usually relapse several months to a year later (presumably because interferon does not fully clear the virus, so it eventually returns).

Chia stopped using interferon treatment for a while, because he found that patients could not tolerate it (it causes worsening of symptoms, plus often depression). See this video at 3:51.

But I heard recently that Dr Chia has started using interferon beta occasionally now, but only for hospitalized bedbound ME/CFS patients. After two weeks of interferon beta, he finds they can start walking around the hospital, whereas before they could not leave their beds due to PEM.

Of interest:
https://me-pedia.org/wiki/Interferon

Last edited:

Treeman

Hello,

can somebody tell me the required dosage of interferon against infection with entervirus and what type of interferon?

We have a doctor who would prescribe it after a Professor has mentioned that it looks like a enterovirus infection (my brother is complete paralysed).

I know it is a special question but we have to try everything.

Did this happen and was it of any use?