• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Interesting Study on Long Covid and Mitochondria

Rufous McKinney

QUESTION:

does this suggest that "eating fats" is somehow contra indicated?

I know people getting long covid who are outside alot of the time, live in mild climate, etc. Aren't overweight. Sent me lectures on dosing with sunlight and Vitamin D.

IT makes sense, yet ...I got worse when I was in the sunny place and outside alot more. Because I was unsuccessful at pacing.

Last edited:

Rufous McKinney

So what is with GLYNAC?

I need a plan of how to get more of all this to happen. Glycine makes me feel more ill. (detox)

I could be outside more, lying in my lounge chair that I'd have to carry downstairs. So how much :More outside aren we talking about?

BrightCandle

The other possibility is Infra red therapy with a device, then you get what you need without the UV. I spent as much time outside in the summer as I could, the problem was I burn really fast now compared to how I used to be, I just sat in a chair with my kindle for 30 minutes or so and got some rays but I was toasting quite quickly and it made my skin itch. Still its something I did a fair bit of through the summer, can't say it helped me really other than bringing a bit of colour back to my skin as I had gotten quite pale being indoors all the time.

hapl808

Yes, I've been following this guy for a while. He seems very intelligent.he seems like a down to earth,no nonsense guy. We need more like him

Definitely agree - started following him during the first month or two of COVID. Reasonably enough to recommend things even if there aren't 20 DB-RCT (quercetin, NAC, Vit D, etc), but also follows reasonable science - even if it shows something unexpected. Surprises me how few people like him are out there. Most people either are supporters of beliefs, or deniers of dogma. Neither one is particularly helpful or actionable, even if they can be right on occasion.

He also doesn't overreach. He notes when something has some decent evidence (zinc ionophores), but doesn't promote anything as the holy grail. I haven't watched all his videos, but probably have watched at least 20-30 when I've felt up to it, particularly in the early days when he was breaking down the actual mechanisms involved in real time.

The other possibility is Infra red therapy with a device, then you get what you need without the UV. I spent as much time outside in the summer as I could, the problem was I burn really fast now compared to how I used to be, I just sat in a chair with my kindle for 30 minutes or so and got some rays but I was toasting quite quickly and it made my skin itch. Still its something I did a fair bit of through the summer, can't say it helped me really other than bringing a bit of colour back to my skin as I had gotten quite pale being indoors all the time.

Seheult is a huge fan of near infrared, mainly through indirect outdoor exposure. From the research, he strongly believes that outdoor indirect sun exposure (especially in the early part of the day) can be very helpful to immune function.

Belbyr

I typically do best in spring time. It's warming up and sun it out but not too hot. 4 out of my 5 several month long crashes have been going into winter.

Belbyr

So how would you selectively remove the mitochondria with broken fat metabolism β-oxidation ?

A very low carbohydrate diet.

Do you know of an article or study to explain that a low carb diet can reduce broken mitochondria?

GreenEdge

Do you know of an article or study to explain that a low carb diet can reduce broken mitochondria?

Think about Mitochondria evolution:
Environmental condition: Human fueled on a very low carbohydrate high fat diet.

"Survival of the fittest" refers to the process of natural selection, a mechanism that drives evolutionary change. :monocle:

If the body is fueled on fat, then it stands to reason that any mitochondria with broken fat metabolism will find it tough to survive in that low glucose environment; while the good mitochondria proliferate. :nerd:

Last edited: