• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

INTERCONNECTED: The Power to Heal From Within.

ljimbo423

Dr. Mark Hyman, MD, is putting on a free 9 part program about the microbiome, starting at 9:00 pm EST today. Here is some info about episode 1 of the series-

Here's a peek at what you'll discover inside INTERCONNECTED: The Power to Heal From Within...

Episode 1: The Invisible Organ: The Missing Piece in Health and Longevity
  • Researchers are just discovering Obesity, Diabetes, Cardiovascular Disease, Autoimmune Diseases, Celiac, IBS, Crohn’s, Skin Disease, Allergies, Neurological Conditions, Autism, Cancer... all these chronic and terminal diseases START in the gut. The great news is they can also be HEALED in the gut. This docuseries reveals how...
  • Research around the world reveals that only in industrialized countries do people suffer from these chronic diseases. Indigenous hunter-gatherer tribes (South America, Australia, Africa, India) do not get these diseases! The clue? Their microbiomes are very different; there are greater numbers of microbes and much more diversity.
  • Leading scientists, researchers, physicians and patients have now come together for this revealing documentary, sharing the latest breakthroughs, discoveries and findings about this “new interconnected pathway” to good health and healing chronic disease...
  • Using new diagnostic and exploratory tools, this “new interconnected pathway” is quickly becoming the new foundation of allopathic medicine.
  • Imagine a time not to distant from today, a healthcare system based upon predictive, personalized, preventive and participatory (meaning you can heal yourself) tools. It’ll be all about YOU individually--and what’s (really) going inside your gut...

I have been treating dysbiosis and increased intestinal permeability (leaky gut) daily for about a year and a half. My quality of life has improved dramatically from doing so. I have much more energy, much less PEM and just feel better in general.

I can go on 25-30 minute walks now, with a 20 pound backpack and have very, very minor fatigue from it, that only lasts about 24 hours! If I could tolerate higher doses of antibiotic herbs, I'm quite sure I would be much healthier or maybe in remission by now.

Unfortunately higher doses of antibiotic herbs cause flu-like flares. So I am limited in how fast I can restore my microbiome and heal my increased intestinal permeability (leaky gut).

All you have to do to register is give your first name and email address.

Link to register and more info on what episodes 2-9 will be about.

sb4

Not sure I want to sign up for this although what have you done to gain such an improvement? I understand BCAAs and you mention antibiotic herbs, which herbs? Anything else?

What do you think of Rifaximin?

ljimbo423

Not sure I want to sign up for this although what have you done to gain such an improvement?

Healing dysbiosis and leaky gut. I learned in order to do that, I needed to protect my mitochondria from the damage done to them from the lipopolysaccharides (LPS).

The research I've done, shows that LPS can cause mitochondria to switch to glycolysis, just as Fluge and Mella found in their study.

So I take a lot of supplements to support and protect my mitochondria. I take Acetyl-l-carnitine-1,200 mg, Alpha lipoic acid-650 mg, BCAA's- 14 grams, coq10-600 mg and 130 mg B-1, daily.

These have allowed me to go higher on my antibiotic herbal supplements without getting the flu-like flares I mentioned above.

Even this dose of supplements don't completely prevent the flu-like flares from the effect the LPS have on my mitochondria but it has allowed me to take a higher dose of antibiotic herbs.

Just about a week or so ago I had to cut back on the oil of oregano I was taking and that stopped the flares again.

I take a strong digestive enzyme with each meal, 500 mg olive leaf extract - 20% oleuropein, 2 oil of oregano gel caps, 500mg neem, 400 mg holy basil, daily. I also take 500 mg ceylon cinnamon and 500 mg thyme, with every meal.

What do you think of Rifaximin?

I'm a big fan of Rifaximin! That's what allowed me to at least start to tolerate even low doses of antibiotic herbs. Before I did a course of Rifaximin, even very tiny doses of antibiotic herbs would magnify my symptoms dramatically and make me feel miserable.

Getting up to these doses of supplements took me many months. It's not something I could have done in even a month or two.

ljimbo423

Interesting, thanks. I am going to try rifaximin soon so hopefully that will give me a clue on how significant the gut is on my symptoms.

I don't think I noticed very much improvement from the Rifaximin, until 2-3 months after I took it. Although as I said, it did allow me to take a higher dose of antibiotic herbs without suffering so much from my symptoms getting worse.

Maybe the Rifaximin lowered the bacteria level in my gut enough to allow my leaky gut to heal some and that took a couple of months. I guess I'm just saying if you don't notice a dramatic improvement rate away.

I don't think that necessarily means the Rifaximin didn't help. Had I taken that view, I would have assumed it didn't help me much. In hindsight though, it helped quite a lot.

Treating the gut though, as I understand, takes a long term commitment and I think some level of a low carb diet is necessary for most people too.

Good luck!

anne_likes_red

Interesting, thanks. I am going to try rifaximin soon so hopefully that will give me a clue on how significant the gut is on my symptoms.
I hope you have better luck getting Rifax than I did lol. Mine is pending destruction at the border. *sigh*

anne_likes_red

I have experienced three instances of feeling as close to 100% as I can imagine feeling, and those times have all been while in the early stages of trying a new prebiotic. Once was back in 2014 or 2015, and similar 'temporary recovery' occurred twice a few months ago.
I'm pretty sure for a brief time I can get something helpful in the gut to out-compete whatever is adding significantly to my ME burden but it keeps ahead in the race for only the shortest time! So frustrating not to know how to approach this in a more effective or organised way. Gives me hope though! :D

sb4

I hope you have better luck getting Rifax than I did lol. Mine is pending destruction at the border. *sigh*
Yeah, it's at status of "held with fee to pay" so I assume it has gone through. Unless they wait for me to pay the fee then hit me with the "we had to destroy it", that would be too cruel.

You live in UK or `stralia?

anne_likes_red

@sb4 NZ, and I'd happily pay a fee but it seems I have to find a doctor to OK it and I don't have one willing to do that - they prefer to prescribe alternatives. I guess I was hoping it would just slip by the authorities quietly and/or they'd just shrug and figure I must know best..

Did you get a prescription?

Wayne

antibiotic herbs

Thanks for your post @ljimbo423. Could you by any chance share what antibiotic herbs you've experimented with, what your favorites are, or that have worked best for you? -- Any elaboration would be appreciated... -- And congratulations on your health and stamina improvements!

EDIT: -- Woops, I just saw this:
I take a strong digestive enzyme with each meal, 500 mg olive leaf extract - 20% oleuropein, 2 oil of oregano gel caps, 500mg neem, 400 mg holy basil, daily. I also take 500 mg ceylon cinnamon and 500 mg thyme, with every meal.
Are these those antibiotic herbs you referred to?

ljimbo423

Thanks Wayne!

Are these those antibiotic herbs you referred to?

Yes, those are the ones I am taking rate now. I can't really say which ones work the best, although Ceylon cinnamon is my favorite at the moment.

I don't get a lot of die-off or worsening of symptoms from it and I buy the powder. I really like being able to adjust the dose, just a little bit at a time.

It tastes good, so I just take 1/4 tsp at a time and wash it down with a flavored drink. I just want to say I started with only about 200 mg Ceylon cinnamon.

I almost always start at a very low dose to see how much die-off I get from any herb and use that as a guide to how much I take and how much I increase it at a time.

I think there are dozens of herbs that work very well in treating dysbiosis. So it's probably just a matter of personal preference.

anne_likes_red

@anne_likes_red No prescription, I got it from this website, it seems the operate out of Vanuatu, which is near NZ. Don't know if that would make it any easier to obtain though.
No, it's a case of Customs here doing their job well (which is a good thing in the bigger picture). However...considering we were thinking we'd have to visit a Mediterranean country where you can buy Xifaxin OTC...Vanuatu could be a bit more convenient! Hmm. Thanks for that.
Have some tVNS update which I'll post in the other thread later.. :)

anne_likes_red

I had no problems ordering and they sent it promptly... but the NZ government has problems with my exercising autonomy over my healthcare and they blew mine up at the border. :rolleyes: