• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Insomnia from oral cromolyn -- why???

NilaJones

Hello folks :). It has been a long time

! I now have quite severe lung damage from covid in 2020. Am on inhaled steroids, and supplemental oxygen.

I decided to give oral cromolyn another try and I'm absolutely amazed to find it helps my lungs!

Ramping up, the lung improvement started when I got to 100 mg twice a day

But that level also gave me terrible insomnia. Even with sleep meds, I couldn't sleep more than about 5 hours a night, so I had to back the dose down.

Taking cromolyn near bedtime makes the insomnia much worse. I have to make sure I don't take it within 10 hours of bedtime.

Do any of you smart people have an idea why this might be causing insomnia? I gather it's a rare side effect? Maybe if I understood the mechanism I could figure out what to do about it.

In case it's relevant, many, many common ME/CFS meds and supplements give me insomnia. Glutathione, B12 at more than 1 icrogram per day, folate, most of the b vitamins, NAC, CQ, etc.. My solution is generally not to take them, or to take very small doses

. But, given the benefit to my lungs, I 'm motivated to try to figure out how to make this one work.

I'm grateful for any advice or tips!

cromolyn belongs to cromoglycic acid. It is sometimes not well tolerated if you have a salicylic acid intolerance. NAC releases histamine
CQ - quercetine? Same as with cromolyn
I have strong brain fog right now, therefore this short reply

NilaJones

Hmmm... I don't think I have any intolerance to salicylates. I looked up a food list and I am fine with most of the foods listed. (I've done extensive elimination testing.)

I didn't know that about NAC!

Thank you so much, @Krokus , for trying to think through the fog! And please let me know if you have any other thoughts.

Anybody else have ideas?

lenora

.I often experience many side-effects that aren't common. Sleeping pills, for example absolutely do not work for more than 2 days (if that).

I'm often up for days at a time....I've had a few problems and even surgeries near the sleep center of the brain. Many years later (about 40), I still have the basic problems. I'm not your average patient, but what is average is the number of sleep problems among us. It's amazing. Sleep studies are good if you really do have breathing problems....everyone else is left with a prescription for Trazodone (which certainly hasn't worked for me.

We're all different in this regard, so please don't take my experience as something you'll face. Yours, Lenora.

Hello folks :). It has been a long time

But that level also gave me terrible insomnia. Even with sleep meds, I couldn't sleep more than about 5 hours a night, so I had to back the dose down.

Taking cromolyn near bedtime makes the insomnia much worse. I have to make sure I don't take it within 10 hours of bedtime.

I'm so glad to have found this post. I've also been trying cromolyn, and have had terrible sleep since getting on it. Handfuls of supplements and weed gummies don't touch it. I think it may be helping, but I can't go without sleep.

Dropping it for now. HistaQuel seems to work ok for me.

cheeseater

It could be a temporary thing. Your body is telling you it really likes that stuff! Sort of like sleeplessness inspired by a sort of euphoria. Your body will tell you when to go to sleep. Don't fight it.

lenora

Yes, I'm also leery about anything I take near bedtime. Most of the meds I'm now on gave me insomnia in the beginning. Little by little (say 6 wks.) this disappeared as my body adjusted.

So, yes, I'm sure that cromolyn can give those same symptoms. How long it could possibly last is anyone's guess. If it works 10 hrs. before sleep, I'd stick with it. Whatever it is that works is the thing for me. Yours, L.