• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Inosine side effects, is this normal

ive been feeling HORRIBLE lately, literally worse than I normally feel. These past 2 days have been hell. Lots more body aches, lots more fatigue, headaches, can barely get out of bed/go out, and bad crashes from everything... just really sick physically and mentally (no motivation, brain fog, confusion)

The only thing I can really attribute this to has been me starting Inosine. I started at 1.5mg.

Is it normal for Inosine to cause you to feel much worse, to the point that it’s intolerable? I am stopping the treatment for now because I can’t tolerate feeling like this. I feel much worse than when I started. I can’t handle it anymore.

Anyone else had to quit the medicine because of the intolerable side effects? And is what I’m feeling from the Inosine? Is this normal, to not be able to tolerate even a few days of this?

I think I remember reading that Inosine can make one actually feel WORSE (as if that was even possible), so I personally can’t tolerate it, even if it offered some hope of treatment.

Hip

Is it normal for Inosine to cause you to feel much worse, to the point that it’s intolerable?

It's not uncommon for immunomodulators like inosine, oxymatrine, etc to make you feel worse for a few months before (hopefully) you later start feeling better. By reducing the dose, you can reduce the worsening of symptoms to a point that you find comfortable to bear.

I take it you meant to say you started at a dose of 1.5 grams (rather than 1.5 mg, which would be a negligivable dose). If so, you might reduce your dose to say 250 mg daily, and see how you go with that. Then after some days or weeks you can consider raising the dose a little.

Seven7

Seven
Yes my first year was brutal ( lack of education) you can actually skip until body calms down, and restart once you feel leas miserable at lower dose. Then like half a pill every other day then increase every day or so. Basically when it crashes you, you stop, restart slower and lower, then work your way up. Not need to be miserable.
I am no doctor and you should ask yours but is what my doctor told me and what worked for me. BUT I am glad I sticked with it becuase I was way over reactive to everything and that has changed ( took 5 years or so).

Yes my first year was brutal ( lack of education) you can actually skip until body calms down, and restart once you feel leas miserable at lower dose. Then like half a pill every other day then increase every day or so. Basically when it crashes you, you stop, restart slower and lower, then work your way up. Not need to be miserable.
I am no doctor and you should ask yours but is what my doctor told me and what worked for me. BUT I am glad I sticked with it becuase I was way over reactive to everything and that has changed ( took 5 years or so).
So Inosine and other Th1 to Th2 regulators: do they need to be taken only if you know you have a confirmed Virus? Because I believe my CFS was caused by just stress, or an unknown reason currently... so is there gonna be benefit for me to go this route?

Seven7

Seven
So Inosine and other Th1 to Th2 regulators: do they need to be taken only if you know you have a confirmed Virus? Because I believe my CFS was caused by just stress, or an unknown reason currently... so is there gonna be benefit for me to go this route?
My doctor actually tests your particular case ( not all of us struggle with same inmune issues) I take inosine, Imunovir, Nk whatever is called supplemt, to increase NK cells numbers and activity.
I know some plp need suppressors, others need stimulating and other modulators like me. So it depends on the results of your Nk tests and lymphocyte subset and cytokines profile test.

My doctor actually tests your particular case ( not all of us struggle with same inmune issues) I take inosine, Imunovir, Nk whatever is called supplemt, to increase NK cells numbers and activity.
I know some plp need suppressors, others need stimulating and other modulators like me. So it depends on the results of your Nk tests and lymphocyte subset and cytokines profile test.
This is all very confusing to me, maybe you could help because I’m really stuck, and Ill, and must get out of this hole I’ve been dug in.
So if I were to go to my GP, what test do I ask for first? I came back negative for Moninucleosis: what do I ask for next, what are all those tests, or they’re for immune function, and after I order them, where do I go from there??

Last edited:

pattismith

@sufferingwithme

I don't know if you are still around, but I wish to share with you my own experimentation with Inosine.

If I take it alone I feel much worse (I can fall asleep within an hour after the intake).

But if I take it with caffeine, I feel great, with all my symptoms vanishing an hour after the intake.

This means that Inosine worsens the symptoms through extracellular activation of adenosine receptors (which turns off your brain and motor activity). Caffeine stops this effect as it is an adenosine receptor antagonist, but it doesn't stop Inosine from entering into cells via nucleoside transporters.

I came to the conclusion that my cells don't have enough Inosine for some reason that I have not yet identify, or that increasing Inosine is able to rescue some nucleotide impaired pathway.

This is clearly not an immune modulation in my case, it is a switch on/switch off mechanism.

I have not yet found which is the best protocol to keep it working on the long run, my experiment is rather new.

@sufferingwithme

I don't know if you are still around, but I wish to share with you my own experimentation with Inosine.

If I take it alone I feel much worse (I can fall asleep within an hour after the intake).

But if I take it with caffeine, I feel great, with all my symptoms vanishing an hour after the intake.

This means that Inosine worsens the symptoms through extracellular activation of adenosine receptors (which turns off your brain and motor activity). Caffeine stops this effect as it is an adenosine receptor antagonist, but it doesn't stop Inosine from entering into cells via nucleoside transporters.

I came to the conclusion that my cells don't have enough Inosine for some reason that I have not yet identify, or that increasing Inosine is able to rescue some nucleotide impaired pathway.

This is clearly not an immune modulation in my case, it is a switch on/switch off mechanism.

I have not yet found which is the best protocol to keep it working on the long run, my experiment is rather new.
Are you pulsing the inosine? I read that you should take it only Mon-Fri, with weekends off, and alternate 1 or 2 capsules each week. I was doing this, but started feeling worse (don't know if this was due to the inosine) and have stopped taking it now. I initially did an imunovir protocol for 6 weeks and that did seem to help for a while. All confusing!

pattismith

Are you pulsing the inosine? I read that you should take it only Mon-Fri, with weekends off, and alternate 1 or 2 capsules each week. I was doing this, but started feeling worse (don't know if this was due to the inosine) and have stopped taking it now. I initially did an imunovir protocol for 6 weeks and that did seem to help for a while. All confusing!
I would like to do a pulse protocol, but up to now was not able to stop inosine even for one day. I still need it to stay on my feet every day, with caffeine.
I added several supplements, zinc, calcium glucarate, and high vitamine B6.

I would like to do a pulse protocol, but up to now was not able to stop inosine even for one day. I still need it to stay on my feet every day, with caffeine.
I added several supplements, zinc, calcium glucarate, and high vitamine B6.

I keep reading sugar/caffeine are Th2 stimulants.

bertiedog

I take 3g of inosine a day for my low uric acid levels.

I can’t tolerate inosine pranobex at all though even though Immunovir and inosine are meant to be the same.
I am not sure if you are still around but I wondered what your main side effects were from Imunovir? I was fine with it apart from the fact it brought back horrible daily migraines.

Pam

pattismith

ive been feeling HORRIBLE lately, literally worse than I normally feel. These past 2 days have been hell. Lots more body aches, lots more fatigue, headaches, can barely get out of bed/go out, and bad crashes from everything... just really sick physically and mentally (no motivation, brain fog, confusion)

The only thing I can really attribute this to has been me starting Inosine. I started at 1.5mg.

I am really sensitive to headache and most supplements gave me attacks. Did you tried the old and effective recipe = paracetamol+salicylic acid+caffeine?
It works for me most of the time

pattismith

@pattismith

Hey Patti - are you still taking Inosine with coffee? Does it still work for you?

unfortunately the effect was not steady, so I take it only occasionally.
After the flu vaccine I went down hill, and was only rescued by methylphenidate.

I just hope the relief will last a bit longer than previously