• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Infrared Sauna Treatment

Hd-x

There are few portable Infrared Light Saunas for home use availible that still heat up around 55-60°. (I dont mean "conventional" sauna)
However, there was a study times ago with an Infrared sauna@60° showing some improvements for FM and CFS, less fatigue, less chronic infections/better immune response.

Anybody tried this kind off alternative treatment?

Rufous McKinney

Anybody tried this kind off alternative treatment?

Expressing: an intention to launch sauna project. My current struggle is to get toxins out yet they dont' seem to want to leave and this route is under consideration: presumably in very tiny increments.

Meaning: be very careful and just do small amounts and work slowly toward longer sessions: a recommendation.

A friend of mine uses these and has found them helpful for her issues/ fibro mostly I think. She does not have a severe ME issue.

Rufous McKinney

If home use, do you perhaps know this kind off IR sauna:

My friend seemed to have a set up of two rows of lamps (in her bathroom), a low stool to sit on and like two shower curtains-type set up. So it was more do it yourself than the link above.

Have extensive experience with Indian Sweat Lodges. Wish that could happen.

Hd-x

My friend seemed to have a set up of two rows of lamps (in her bathroom)
The problem with open IR setups is imo that you dont get exactly the ideal temperature as needed?
In the study 60° has been shown to be the best temperatures for treating FM/CFS related issues.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Hd-x - several years ago I did a 20-minute far infrared sauna treatment at my chiropactor's office and I had a very strong detox reaction - it wiped me out for 3 days and I never tried it again..

However l-glycine has been very helpful for me with detoxing issues. After years of reacting badly to very many things - anything that had "cleansing" properties, e.g., apple cider vinegar, cayenne, chlorella, I started taking glycine for sleep - it was very helpful, but it hit me like a truck, caused a severe detox reaction. However muscle testing indicated it was good for me, so I kept taking it, albeit in very small doses and over a period of several months I gradually developed a tolerance to it and no longer react to it. And I no longer detox either at the drop of a hat. I think it got my detox pathways working properly. Inositol was also helpful and glutamine, but I think the main thing which helped was glycine.

Hd-x

@Hd-x - several years ago I did a 20-minute far infrared sauna treatment at my chiropactor's office and I had a very strong detox reaction - it wiped me out for 3 days and I never tried it again..
20Minutes may be to much, the treatment should start with less minutes and slowly increased over the time as far as I know.

However l-glycine has been very helpful for me with detoxing issues. .... However muscle testing indicated it was good for me, so I kept taking it, albeit in very small doses and over a period of several months I gradually developed a tolerance to it and no longer react to it.
Thats interesting, the question is still why did you react to it?
Many foods contain L-Glycin, so aren´t higher dosages necessary for detox?
How much did you take?

Last edited:

Mary

Moderator Resource
Hi @Hd-x - I think I reacted so strongly to the glycine because of its role in detoxification. Here's one article which mentions glycine (among several other things) and phase II liver detoxification: https://www.diagnose-me.com/treatment/liver-detoxification-phase-II-support.php

If you google glycine and detoxification, you'll find a lot of information. Anything that had said it had cleansing properties like apple cider vinegar, made me detox unpleasantly, but it was never resolved. It just kept happening over and over and I believe the toxins were just being released from the cells and circulating and then resettling - not being excreted from my body. With the glycine I stuck with it, very small doses at first (after the first large one) and just gradually increased it. I don't know exactly how much the small dose was I settled on, possibly as low as 100 mg. I'm now taking 2000 mg before bed and 2000 mg more middle of the night before sleep with no problem, and I almost never have detox symptoms any more.

Actually the first thing I took with glycine was gelatin, which is high in glycine, and that's what hit me like a truck. Then I switched to pure glycine and had to be very careful with it. It hit me very hard, but no longer does.

Glutamine helped some too (mentioned in above article) but I eventually had to stop it because it was causing sleep problems unfortunately.

ChrisD

I bought an IR sauna months ago, but I’ve only used it a few times as I went to
Fast too quickly and apparently not only detoxed but also released too many electrolytes which gave me adrenaline/cortisol symptoms and POTs which took weeks to improved. So I really put myself off it, I will try again soon and try not to get carried away.

Mel9

My IR sauna was great at first

Then one day I collapsed after a session that was too long and too hot. The collapse was followed by PEM and a long period of relapse..

My doctor arranged heart checks and I was fine so he said I could try again.

But fear of it happening again is stopping me.

I too will try again soon.