• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

[Indie Band] Belle and Sebastian Frontman: "Living with ME makes me feel like a non person "

frozenborderline

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...rliament-scotland-msps-holyrood-b2177301.html

He's also an OMF ambassador. He's one of one of most prominent famous people with our illness. Albeit more mild than a lot of us bedridden folks. But apparently early on he went thru periods like that and it influenced a lot of his music about frailty and sickliness .

Not as explicitly about ME although things like the early "get me away from here I'm dying" really sound like a wispy frail chronic illness patient. Actually a lot of the early stuff sounds like that but that song in particular has lyrics that fit that idea. But later in nobody's empire , he sort of "came out" and made a song so explicitly about this marginalized chronic illness and his history with it. It's very beautiful indie pop and I recommend people check it out.

He could be a good spokesperson for this disease. Probably a lot of Belle and sebastian fans don't know this about him.

Zebra

@frozenborderline

I've been a Belle & Sebastian fan since their first few albums, and I had no idea that one of the band members had ME/CFS!!! Thank you for sharing this article.

It's difficult to imagine someone with ME/CFS being able to go on world-wide tours to promote each album, but I don't know anything about the origin of his illness, what treatments he's had, etc. Maybe in the near future I'll poke around the Internet looking for more info.

I do appreciate that he is not "hiding" his ME/CFS from the public and is actively advocating for the ME/CFS community. Good on him!

hapl808

It's difficult to imagine someone with ME/CFS being able to go on world-wide tours to promote each album, but I don't know anything about the origin of his illness, what treatments he's had, etc. Maybe in the near future I'll poke around the Internet looking for more info.

I could have (and did) do a lot when I was more 'mild', even though we know that mild can still be somewhat debilitating. I felt sick all the time, but traveled constantly for work nonetheless. Just every day felt like a PEM episode (which just felt like constant exhaustion back then, as I never gave myself enough time to truly recover).

Zebra