• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Increased risk of chronic fatigue syndrome following psoriasis: a nationwide population-based cohort study. Tsai et al 2019

Murph

:)
J Transl Med. 2019 May 14;17(1):154. doi: 10.1186/s12967-019-1888-1.
Increased risk of chronic fatigue syndrome following psoriasis: a nationwide population-based cohort study.
Tsai SY1,2,3,4, Chen HJ5,6, Chen C7,8, Lio CF7, Kuo CF9, Leong KH7, Wang YT7, Yang TY10,11, You CH12,13, Wang WS14.
Author information

Abstract
BACKGROUND:
The onset of chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) has been shown to be associated with several immunological conditions such as infections or atopy. The aim of this study was to clarify the risk of chronic fatigue syndrome following the diagnosis of psoriasis, an immune-related dermatological disease, by analyzing the National Health Insurance Research Database of Taiwan.
METHOD:
2616 patients aged 20 years or older with newly diagnosed psoriasis during 2004-2008 and 10,464 participants without psoriasis were identified. Both groups were followed up until the diagnoses of CFS were made at the end of 2011.
RESULTS:
The relationship between psoriasis and the subsequent risk of CFS was estimated through Cox proportional hazards regression analysis, with the incidence density rates being 2.27 and 3.58 per 1000 person-years among the non-psoriasis and psoriasis populations, respectively (adjusted hazard ratio
 = 1.48, with 95% confidence interval [CI] 1.07-2.06). In the stratified analysis, the psoriasis group were consistently associated with a higher risk of CFS in male sex (HR = 2.05, 95% CI 1.31-3.20) and age group of ≥ 60 years old (HR = 2.32, 95% CI 1.33-4.06). In addition, we discovered that the significantly increased risk of CFS among psoriasis patients is attenuated after they receive phototherapy and/or immunomodulatory drugs.
CONCLUSIONS:
The data from this population-based retrospective cohort study revealed that psoriasis is associated with an elevated risk of subsequent CFS, which is differentiated by sex and age.
KEYWORDS:
Chronic fatigue syndrome; Immune system diseases; National health programs; Psoriasis
PMID: 31088562 DOI: 10.1186/s12967-019-1888-1

Wishful

If they discover a test for susceptibility for ME, at least there's a possibility of treatments to avoid developing it after an immune activating event. That doesn't help those who have already developed it, but it would still be something worth researching...but not by diverting funds from developing a treatment for ME, please. :)

andyguitar

Thanks for posting that @Murph. That skin complaints and me/cfs sometimes go together does crop up now and again and it's good to see that it has been investigated. Methotrexate is one of the drugs mentioned as a treatment. Also used for RA and leukemia.

Last edited:

pattismith

CONCLUSIONS:
The data from this population-based retrospective cohort study revealed that psoriasis is associated with an elevated risk of subsequent CFS, which is differentiated by sex and age.
Probably if you have CFS/ME, you are at increased risk of subsequent psoriasis either!

The problem with psoriasis is that you can also have the arthritis form and skin lesions are not always showing up.

My half sister has psoriasis, and I probably have psoriatic arthritis without skin lesion.
However my CFS/fibro developped long before my arthritis showed up.

The other problem with psoriatic arthritis being the lack of diagnostic test...

I guess a lot of Fibro or ME/CFS patients may be undiagnosed psoriatic patients...

Oliver3

Heds, so far, doesn't have a genetic underpinning as I understand it. But all these things like IBS, psoriasis etc fall into the category of connective tissue.
I honestly think, once they do a deeper dive into tissue structures it will reveal a lot about why some of us react in these ways

pattismith

Methotrexate side effects more common in Psoriasis Arthritis than RA​

Specifically, patients with PsA initiating methotrexate were more likely than those with RA to report numbness or tingling (49.1 vs 36.5%), muscle weakness (43.1 v. 33.7%), headache (33.6 vs 28.3%), depression (32.8 vs 20.1%), nausea (28.4 vs 17.4%), tinnitus (27.6 vs 22.1%), constipation (26.7 vs 17.2%), nervousness (24.1 vs 17.5%), oral ulcers (24.1 vs. 14.2%), abdominal pain or cramps (21.6 vs 13.8%), and vomiting (10.3 vs 3.5%).

The rates of nausea, headache, diarrhea, depression, nervousness, and numbness or tingling were also generally higher among patients with PsA versus RA initiating a TNF inhibitor.

Ogdie et al note that the patients with PsA had a higher BMI, on average, than those with RA, and were also more likely to have fibromyalgia and depression, “which may all contribute to the symptom profile and side effects to medications.”

https://rheumatology.medicinematter...side-effects-more-common-psa-than-ra/23477186