• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

In Memory of Denise De Hoop

Spring

denise de hoop.png

From the ME/CFS memorial Facebookpage:

'1,5 hrs ago Denise de Hoop died, a real warrior to our cause. Her GP and doctors in hospital ignored her complaints of pain and swelling in her breast and later found out -much and much too late- she suffered from cancer. By that time there was nothing more they could do. Denise fought for our cause till the last moment, even in hospital she tried to educate doctors and nurses and a few days before she died, she gave an interview to a local newspaper although that took away the last bit of energy she had. Through our forum we witnessed her struggle on a nearly daily basis and will miss her very much. She was one brave woman..'

I've followed this women on the Dutch forum and she was really remarkable. She did multiple interviews and was always fighting for ME although she was later diagnosed with breast cancer. Every doctor or nurse she saw she was educating about ME. People are working to make a book from her posts on the Dutch forum.
Just a few days ago she wrote on the forum she could not fight for ME anymore. It was her goodbye to us all. But in the interview that is published today in the local newspaper she is asking people to sign the Dutch petition on ME/CFS, so even now she is dead, she is still advocating.

Rest in peace Denise..

Last edited by a moderator:

SilverbladeTE

Either those bastards apologize uttelry, *UNRESERVEDLY* with NO attempt to shirkresponsibility, guilt or stupidity
or
*RETRIBUTION* must happen to afford justice for those already wronged,and vitally,prevent more such evils. Life Imprisonment for the worst SOBs and exposing their venal crap in court is direly needed
"Thou Shalt Not Get Away With It, Scumbags!"
Sigh. Always ALWAYs takes deaths and horrendous injuries, sick abuse etc in droves, then expose's, that finally get through to the IDIOT "Sheeple", 'cause leaders only care if their control is threatened, before things change, be it this, dangerous roadways,dangerous business practices or whatever. How damn rarely is it someone admits that "OOps!" something is wrong, needs fixed,except by some poor sod suffering or dying?
iskc of it, SICK to DEATH of it.

interestingly was something I saw on a tabloid front page today (they suck but hey), about thousands of UK docs still practicing yet they had convictions for serious crime, from child abuse, fraud to drug crimes.
One law for rest of us, anotherfor the rich and "professional classes"

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
From the ME/CFS memorial Facebookpage:

'1,5 hrs ago Denise de Hoop died, a real warrior to our cause. Her GP and doctors in hospital ignored her complaints of pain and swelling in her breast and later found out -much and much too late- she suffered from cancer. By that time there was nothing more they could do. Denise fought for our cause till the last moment, even in hospital she tried to educate doctors and nurses and a few days before she died, she gave an interview to a local newspaper although that took away the last bit of energy she had. Through our forum we witnessed her struggle on a nearly daily basis and will miss her very much. She was one brave woman..'

I've followed this women on the Dutch forum and she was really remarkable. She did multiple interviews and was always fighting for ME although she was later diagnosed with breast cancer. Every doctor or nurse she saw she was educating about ME. People are working to make a book from her posts on the Dutch forum.
Just a few days ago she wrote on the forum she could not fight for ME anymore. It was her goodbye to us all. But in the interview that is published today in the local newspaper she is asking people to sign the Dutch petition on ME/CFS, so even now she is dead, she is still advocating.

Rest in peace Denise..

So sorry. Thanks for letting us know Spring.

Is there a photo of her online or one that you could paste in here so that we could see our sister?

Sushi

alex3619

I read this thread when it was first posted. I didn't know what to say. I still do not know what to say, nothing seems adequate. Perhaps the best thing I should say is that, along with other cases of severe neglect, we should never forget. Such inhumanity is unacceptable. Those responsible should never be allowed to forget it until they own up to their part and move to join the solution, rather than represent the problem.

So long as the medical profession is legally protected from repercussions of gross failure in care, then we will see this situation continue. While I am uncomfortable with the culture of litigation that occurs in the USA for example, there are many situations in which a litigation culture is clearly superior. This is one of them.

I hope that the friends and family of Denise can come to terms with this, and that her story and their story will be heard and understood.

Deeply saddened on yet another occasion, Alex.

taniaaust1

This is sad.

All too often doctors dismiss ME patients symptoms just cause they have ME/CFS.

Her case makes me think how Ive never had a colonopsy..even thou I get bowel bleeding and my bowel often isnt working right and my great grandmother died of bowel cancer. Ive told several doctors I worry about that but none have any interest in finding out exactly what my issue is and rather just guess.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I am glad to learn that there is a ME/CFS Memorial Facebookpage. That should make more people aware of how serious this illness is.

I am not sure I would be accepting apologies at this late date. There has been plenty of time for that already. The irresponsible parties need to be put where they cannot harm others.

Here in the US of A, doctors are being advised by insurance company lawyers to admit it and apologize when they make a mistake because studies have found that people are less likely to sue over a medical error if the doctor apologizes. While I suppose there is some benefit in this as it forces the doctors to admit that they have made a mistake, I very much doubt the sincerity of the apology.

alex3619

Little Bluestem, apology isn't enough, I agree. They have to be part of the system that fixes things. That is in effect both a form of restitution and moving to make sure it never happens again. Litigation is one way to drive that, but not the only one, and it can induce the guilty party to cover up issues, and misdirect enquiry.

The first step though is acknowledgement of a mistake. The second step is removal of medical licences where doctors had direct responsibility.

It isn't enough to punish those who did this. The primary goal is to stop it ever happening again. Punishment often just causes it to become secretive, protected, etc. .... about what we see in medical culture currently.

adreno

PR activist
Avoid the ME/CFS diagnosis at all cost. It is a death warrant, it seems. The same goes for all psychiatric diagnoses. After you receive the ME/CFS or any psychiatric diagnosis, any future symptoms you complain of will be written off as hysteria, delusion and hypochondria.