• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Improvement Effects of Myelophil on Symptoms of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome in a Reserpine-Induced Mouse Model

nerd

Authors: Ji-Hye Song, Seul-Ki Won, Geun-Hyang Eom, Da-Som Lee, Byung-Jin Park, Jin-Seok Lee, Chang-Gue Son, Ji-Yeun Park
Published on: September 22, 2021
pmid: 34638540
doi: 10.3390/ijms221910199

Abstract
Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) is associated with various symptoms, such as depression, pain, and fatigue. To date, the pathological mechanisms and therapeutics remain uncertain. The purpose of this study was to investigate the effect of myelophil (MYP), composed of Astragali Radix and Salviaemiltiorrhizae Radix, on depression, pain, and fatigue behaviors and its underlying mechanisms. Reserpine (2 mg/kg for 10 days, intraperitoneally) induced depression, pain, and fatigue behaviors in mice. MYP treatment (100 mg/kg for 10 days, intragastrically) significantly improved depression behaviors, mechanical and thermal hypersensitivity, and fatigue behavior. MYP treatment regulated the expression of c-Fos, 5-HT1A/B receptors, and transforming growth factor β (TGF-β) in the brain, especially in the motor cortex, hippocampus, and nucleus of the solitary tract. MYP treatment decreased ionized calcium binding adapter molecule 1 (Iba1) expression in the hippocampus and increased tyrosine hydroxylase (TH) expression and the levels of dopamine and serotonin in the striatum. MYP treatment altered inflammatory and anti-oxidative-related mRNA expression in the spleen and liver. In conclusion, MYP was effective in recovering major symptoms of ME/CFS and was associated with the regulation of dopaminergic and serotonergic pathways and TGF-β expression in the brain, as well as anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant mechanisms in internal organs.

Pyrrhus

This study may be of interest to people who take Astragalus or Red Sage supplements.
(The "Myelophil" that the authors test in this study is a combination of these two herbs.)

Not sure what it has to do with ME, though.

godlovesatrier

In my experience while this can work for a few months, possibly longer, it won't work long term. As soon as you hit the right event, it could be stress, illness, possibly even a vaccine. These sorts of compounds start to have side effects. I actually find supplements can be very stable in this regard, whereas herbal compounds can loose their efficacy in terms of more side effects over time.

I'm convinced this is an issue inherent in ME and degeneration of the disease pathology over time, worsening the patients state.

If I could still take ginseng, astragalus or reishi on there own without any other support I would. But I know I need pretty much everything in Josh's core supps to keep going and maintain my recovery from exertion and day to day stressors.

It's an interesting study I guess? But sometimes I wish all research effort was focussed on the biomechanics and piecing together what's going on, even if that means different subsets emerge in data sets.