• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Improved article on Liddle's savagery against ME by Frances in the Guardian

Countrygirl

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...a-me?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other#comment-127070649

1553052491318.png

You would be forgiven if, weighed down by the row over the Islamophobia embedded in the British press, you had missed Rod Liddle’s piece in the Sunday Times about disabled people, specifically those with myalgic encephalomyelitis or ME.
The headline – “Always fatigued, yet they never tire of claiming their malady really is a virus” – gives a fair hint at the level of bile the piece contains, but to summarise: Liddle uses the resignation of a researcher into ME, Michael Sharpe, to peddle the well-worn trope that the condition is “all in the mind” – or as he puts it, “that their complaints about a virus have no basis in fact”. It has understandably distressed many people with ME, with the piece going viral on social media.

Hiring people like Liddle does nothing but add toxicity to the already rotting discourse, contributing to an ever-more poisonous climate​
The background to this is complex but in brief, Sharpe led research in 2015 that controversially said many patients with ME are being held backby their own failure to “push themselves to be ready

Countrygirl

Here is the article in the Canary:

https://www.thecanary.co/uk/analysi...qB9mCoxkZQh1NNo9sMt0D87PwU4Qu21AVKyKs08-jlaV8

The establishment media has launched a vicious ‘war’ on chronically ill people
13925254_10153569093537581_7987135654889904896_n-115x115.jpg

Fréa Lockley
19th March 2019
1 comment

The media has upped the ante on a vicious and abusive war on chronically ill people. Doctors involved in the controversial PACE trial have lashed out, claiming they can’t continue their work because of ‘abuse’ and ‘trolling’ from online activists. Yet, PACE findings left thousands of people in the UK who live with Myalgic encephalomyelitis, commonly referred to as ME, without access to effective treatment. What the establishment media failed to report, is that the findings of the PACE trial are flawed, at best.
“Damaging and ineffective”

boolybooly

I am starting to think that the people Liddle is, in effect supporting, are just bad losers and the current spate of rubbish coming from them is their last gasp.

Yes, the recent press articles producing anti ME patient flak have the appearance of a campaign of desperate string pulling and calling in of favours by someone trying to counter the interpretation of Sharpe's resignation as an admission of guilt over the widely recognised improper procedures in the conduct of the PACE trial.

It is as if they are trying to create a smoke screen to cover his retreat. IMHO the ME community should not allow this to obfuscate scrutiny in law and in parliament. If a prosecution of the PACE authors is feasible we should do what is necessary to see it through by following due process.