• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Immunomodulation + antiretroviral treatment for XMRV

mojoey

(This is reposted from stem cell thread, thought it might be more relevant in XMRV treatment and testing section)

This is just my very barbaric hunch, but I think it's overly optimistic to think that we who have come down with ME/CFS could become like those whose immune systems are keeping XMRV at bay using therapies that do not specifically target XMRV. Just from my own observations, a full-blown remission from ME/CFS is one in a million, so I believe that once the damage is done, very few terrain-reestablishing remedies will be able to put XMRV into the state in which it once existed when we lived normal lives. In short, I'm guessing that it will be a one-way road from XMRV-pos healthy life to XMRV-pos neuro-immune disorder, without the intervention of aggressive anitretoviral activity. Many HIV-pos patients never get AIDS (e.g. Magic Johnson), but I've never heard of an AIDS patient spontaneously remitting from AIDS without ARVs. Of course, we have a different type of virus but the one-way pattern seems consistent.

One reason I say this is because I've been doing just that very type of Bechamp-based therapy using Sanum for the last 8 months and I have not improved like other patients that have tested XMRV-negative and are undergoing the same therapy. Our trajectories have looked clearly different--they have improved from this therapy and I have clearly declined in the last 8 months. Perhaps reestablishing optimal terrain will work for retroviruses but it definitely seems to take more time than those whom do not have a predominant retrovirus. Besides outward discrepancies, these other patients have shown improvement on lab results, whereas I still show the basement NK cell function and neutropenia that has bled my lab reports for the last 4 years.

After talking with Peterson, we both agree that some form of immune modulation + anti-XMRV strategy will be necessary for XMRV-pos patients. The thing with ampligen is it kills XMRV in the test tube, so that may be why it has had the track record in CFS patients that it has compared with other drugs that are purely immunomodulatory in nature, and also why many patients like Mary Schweitzer and Andrea Whittemore (as Cort reported, "who had became dangerously ill after having to go off Ampligen" - http://aboutmecfs.org/Rsrch/XMRVBuzz.aspx) relapse upon stopping the drug.

Cort recently reported:
"We've heard reports that Ampligen was more helpful in patients with documented XMRV infections than without them"

Peterson also agrees with me that XMRV may very well be a distinguishing factor in success with stem cell therapy.

mojoey

Hemispherx's retrospective analysis of patient samples for XMRV

http://www.facebook.com/notes/xmrv-global-action/wpi-and-hemispherx-to-present-initial-results-of-xmrv-in-ampligen-phase-iii-samp/426402571796

Retrospective analyses of patient samples from the completed Phase III trial of Ampligen in potential treatment of CFS continues in collaboration with the Whittemore Peterson Institute. We believe that these studies may provide a new perspective on the design of an additional confirmatory Phase III study in this disorder.

The samples are being analyzed for the presence of XMRV (xenotropic murine leukemia related virus). Initial results on the XMRV data from the completed Phase III trial are planned for presentation at the 1st International Workshop on XMRV to be held on September 7 and 8, 2010 in Bethesda, Maryland at the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services' National Institutes of Health ("NIH").

A canary tells me that's when Cheney's abstract on HGRV is being presented: Turns out this workshop isn't just a bunch of academics getting together and waxing each others' intellectual poles.

aquariusgirl

Hi Joey

And thanks for sharing Peterson's views & your experience.

Sorry you are not seeing the results you would like.

Do you think your current therapies are doing anything?

I hope ARVs are not the only way to go .. but not sure what the other options are at this point.

Ampligen seems to be somewhat of a band aid....

BTW: the tests you mention .. are these just regular labs.? (NK cell activity.. or some other more sophisticated measure of NK cell function).

thanks

mojoey

Hey there,

Plain old NK cell panel with VIP. I think my current therapies are doing something at the cellular level, but just not enough. I think my ANS has calmed down some and my heart has improved (but I'm also taking digitalis and potassium), and my energy is more consistent (but I'm also on cortef now) while my gut has gotten much worse. So it's really hard to tell.

Rrrr

2 papers on gamma interferon

HERE ARE TWO PAPERS ON GAMMA INTERFERON THAT SOMEONE ELSE POSTED ON ANOTHER FORUM.

_______

Interferon gamma : an overview of signals, mechanisms and functions

A Formal Analysis of Cytokine Networks in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Gordon Brodericka: 1, Jim Fuiteb, Andrea Kreitzc, Suzanne D Vernond, Nancy Klimase,
Mary Ann Fletcherf

Furthermore this analysis identifies key subnetworks such as IL-2:IFNy:TNFα that might be targeted in restoring normal immune function.

Interferon gamma:

http://www.jleukbio.org/cgi/content/full/75/2/163

Journal of Leukocyte Biology. 2004;75:163-189.

Interferon gamma : an overview of signals, mechanisms and functions

Kate Schroder*, , Paul J. Hertzog , , Timothy Ravasi*, and David A. Hume*, ,1

* Institute for Molecular Bioscience, University of Queensland, St. Lucia, Brisbane, Australia;
CRC for Chronic Inflammatory Diseases, Parkville, Victoria, Australia; and
Molecular Genetics Group, Institute of Reproduction and Development, Monash Medical Centre, Monash University, Clayton, Victoria, Australia

Interferon gamma (IFNy) coordinates a diverse array of cellular programs through transcriptional regulation of immunologically relevant genes. This article reviews the current understanding of IFNyα ligand, receptor, signal transduction, and cellular effects with a focus on macrophage responses and to a lesser extent, responses from other cell types that influence macrophage function during infection. The current model for IFNy signal transduction is discussed, as well as signal regulation and factors conferring signal specificity. Cellular effects of IFNy are described, including up-regulation of pathogen recognition, antigen processing and presentation, the antiviral state, inhibition of cellular proliferation and effects on apoptosis, activation of microbicidal effector functions, immunomodulation, and leukocyte trafficking. In addition, integration of signaling and response with other cytokines and pathogen-associated molecular patterns, such as tumor necrosis factor α, interleukin-4, type I IFNs, and lipopolysaccharide are discussed.

Last Edit: Today at 02:00:44 PM by cath
http://www.mecfsforums.com/index.php?action=reporttm;topic=1381.1;msg=14307

Unique resistance of I/LnJ mice to a retrovirus is due to sustained interferon g
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12538662

J Exp Med. 2003 Jan 20;197(2):233-43.

Unique resistance of I/LnJ mice to a retrovirus is due to sustained interferon gamma-dependent production of virus-neutralizing antibodies.

Purdy A, Case L, Duvall M, Overstrom-Coleman M, Monnier N, Chervonsky A, Golovkina T.

The Jackson Laboratory, 600 Main Street, Bar Harbor, ME 04609, USA.
Abstract

Selection of immune escape variants impairs the ability of the immune system to sustain an efficient antiviral response and to control retroviral infections. Like other retroviruses, mouse mammary tumor virus (MMTV) is not efficiently eliminated by the immune system of susceptible mice. In contrast, MMTV-infected I/LnJ mice are capable of producing IgG2a virus-neutralizing antibodies, sustain this response throughout their life, and secrete antibody-coated virions into the milk, thereby preventing infection of their progeny. Antibodies were produced in response to several MMTV variants and were cross-reactive to them. Resistance to MMTV infection was recessive and was dependent on interferon (IFN)-gamma production, because I/LnJ mice with targeted deletion of the INF-gamma gene failed to produce any virus-neutralizing antibodies. These findings reveal a novel mechanism of resistance to retroviral infection that is based on a robust and sustained IFN-gamma-dependent humoral immune response.

mojoey

Hey Rrrr,

Thanks for posting this. Ampligen is interferon inducer. I asked Peterson why not just take gamma interferon vs the inducer, and he said it makes CFS patients really sick because it's too much. In fact, the ampligen dosage has had to be dialed down for some patients to tolerate. However, these studies on gamma interferon on healthy mice help elucidate the way ampligen may work on cfs patients.

mojoey

Hey Rrrr,

Cheney will be presenting an abstract on HGRV at the NIH conference. I'm not aware of the details.