• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Immunological dysfunction persists for 8 months following initial mild-to-moderate SARS-CoV-2 infection

SWAlexander

Abstract
A proportion of patients surviving acute coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) infection develop post-acute COVID syndrome (long COVID (LC)) lasting longer than 12 weeks. Here, we studied individuals with LC compared to age- and gender-matched recovered individuals without LC, unexposed donors and individuals infected with other coronaviruses. Patients with LC had highly activated innate immune cells, lacked naive T and B cells and showed elevated expression of type I IFN (IFN-β) and type III IFN (IFN-λ1) that remained persistently high at 8 months after infection. Using a log-linear classification model, we defined an optimal set of analytes that had the strongest association with LC among the 28 analytes measured. Combinations of the inflammatory mediators IFN-β, PTX3, IFN-γ, IFN-λ2/3 and IL-6 associated with LC with 78.5–81.6% accuracy. This work defines immunological parameters associated with LC and suggests future opportunities for prevention and treatment.
more at: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41590-021-01113-x

godlovesatrier

1642167472749.png

To examine biomarkers associated with LC, we assessed 28 analytes in the serum of patients from the LC, MC, HCoV and UHC groups at month 4 after infection using a bead-based assay. Six proinflammatory cytokines (interferon β (IFN-β), IFN-λ1, IFN-γ, CXCL9, CXCL10, interleukin-8 (IL-8) and soluble T cell immunoglobulin mucin domain 3 (sTIM-3)) were elevated in the LC and MC groups compared to the HCoV and UHC groups (Fig. 1), with no difference observed in the 22 other analytes, including IL-6 and IL-33 (Extended Data Fig. 1).

SWAlexander

My dr. report just came in. Diagnosis: Antiphospholipid syndrome.

Seeking help for more information.
I couldn't find much on Google.
Thank you.

Last edited:

SWAlexander

Last edited: