• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

IM Vitamin C Injections for hEDS... anyone tried this???

I came across this woman's blog recently, in which she went from being debilitated and bed-bound most of her entire life to being fully functional, largely due to vitamin C injections.
https://lessflexible.com/the-c-was-the-key

I can only find a couple of other women out there who seem to be doing the same thing, one a fairly credible sounding nurse who outlines her story, how to do the injections, and how it has changed her symptoms dramatically, in this youtube post.

I find this stuff really interesting, and of course, as someone who is desperate to feel better, I'd love to try it. But there are very few doctors who seem to be willing to help us try it... was wondering if anyone knows of any?

marcjf

The author herself describes more about her treatment here: https://lessflexible.com/treatment-that-works
She mentions the doctor name, and she eve provides a cheaper source for Vitamin C in another post.

Very curious about that treatment. I am assuming having a doctor you trust would be paramount, considering that high Vit C can cause kidney issues long term.

I find it interesting how simple that treatment is, just Vit C + Exercise seem to be enough for her. I always assumed that collagen synthesis would be complicated, involving other co-factors, like copper, selenium, etc.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
The author herself describes more about her treatment here: https://lessflexible.com/treatment-that-works
She mentions the doctor name, and she eve provides a cheaper source for Vitamin C in another post.

Very curious about that treatment. I am assuming having a doctor you trust would be paramount, considering that high Vit C can cause kidney issues long term.

I find it interesting how simple that treatment is, just Vit C + Exercise seem to be enough for her. I always assumed that collagen synthesis would be complicated, involving other co-factors, like copper, selenium, etc.

I'm guessing collagen synthesis is complicated, but maybe some people have a problem either absorbing the vitamin C through digestion or even IV... and perhaps Vitamin C plays a super important role that without it the synthesis is much slower or something. Someone should be researching this though, because if it works then hypermobile EDS must have something to do with vitamin C. I mean, the symptoms are kind of similar to scurvy.

Judee

I started using diy liposomal C using the recipe Mary posted. For some reason I can't reach the site she linked anymore. It seems it's down now. :(

When I realized that I tried to put the instructions on a document from memory right away.

I hope the attached is correct.

Also I think it just said "lecithin" but I used sunflower lecithin.

Anyway, after my first dose (about 1/8 cup), I became very relaxed. I've been sleeping very well too since starting it. I started with making half batches and have been using up one half batch per day. From what I can tell that comes out to about 6g Vitamin C for each half batch though my math could be fuzzy.

Mary once mentioned it helped her with sleep but then later said it was causing insomnia so I'll watch for that but for now it's nice. I do get a little more achy like she also mentioned and have some Sodium Ascorbate on order to switch to as she thought it was the acidic-ness of the ascorbic acid that might have been causing that. I wonder though if it's causing some rebuilding of cartilage. IDK.

I know it's not the injections though and Audy (in that video) said liposomal didn't help her but I needed to start with something accessible. However, I'm still very interested in the injections. It's just that I don't have a doctor to prescribe. Plus, I've never given myself an injection before. The idea is daunting.

Still it has become my research topic of late especially since I do seem to feel a little better with this liposomal stuff and pamojja and husband of both indicated that high dose vitamin C was helpful in improving function level. (Maybe I'll come back and post where they mentioned this when I'm not in the first part/worst part of my day. :))

Attachments

• homemade liposomal vitamin c.pdf
    88 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Aidan Walsh

I came across this woman's blog recently, in which she went from being debilitated and bed-bound most of her entire life to being fully functional, largely due to vitamin C injections.
https://lessflexible.com/the-c-was-the-key

I can only find a couple of other women out there who seem to be doing the same thing, one a fairly credible sounding nurse who outlines her story, how to do the injections, and how it has changed her symptoms dramatically, in this youtube post.

I find this stuff really interesting, and of course, as someone who is desperate to feel better, I'd love to try it. But there are very few doctors who seem to be willing to help us try it... was wondering if anyone knows of any?

Vitamin C is also used at each meal with iron in Nickel/Metal Allergy Syndromes so maybe this could be why she was helped (SNAS) SYSTEMIC NICKEL ALLERGY SYNDROME??? some have COBALT issues it is also in Silver fillings & in white fillings have soya, as well In countless foods even spinach soya honey is
the highest in nickel/metals.
The vitamin C could be flushing the metals out, its in countless vitamins minerals

Last edited:

Judee

I've been reading some more on the lessflexible website that was mentioned.

Madora's symptoms are/were so similar to many of us here. Like me and the other two ladies who posted Ehler Danlos/ Vitamin C injection videos on YT, I've pretty much been sick all my life.

One thing I read today is she said feeling faint all the time was really annoying.

Yes!!! That with the fatigue and brain fog are probably my big three.

The others like sensitivities, IBS, and achy-ness, I've learned to live with or work around by avoidance to known triggers but those top three and especially the feeling faint ALL the time are what make living and functioning so difficult.

Aidan Walsh

It is the same thing on Cort's blogs they all say recovered & they are not the same goes with Chiari & CCI, they are liars. I asked one Woman online who claimed she is well. I said what can you do now? LOL,

She said I can walk to the store. How come many countless including me have 2 styloid bones Eagle Syndrome likely the Vascular compression type & also 2 Tumors sitting in my Ventricles/Pineal Cyst Gland?

That is why I always question everything. One guy in comments in Cort's latest blog from the other day in comments says he has PELLAGRA some have this instead with or without skin issues. Beef Meats, Potatoes is high in niacin help this & B-3 Niacin with Doctor's higher doses. Niacin Rich Diet

Aidan Walsh

I also wanted to say I had a Barium Xray standing up they told me my bowel is fat in transit years ago. I think now Meat like steaks or Roasts are fixing this, meat tends to constipate me but I need Potatoes for it to work better in my bowel.

I tend to keep the food in me longer now which is better than going to the toilet numerous times a day. Pellagra can also cause bowel issues like IBS they mention Dementia symptoms, which sounds to me like Brain Fog. Countless go Vegan & get so much worse. Vegan also high in Meats if Nickel/Cobalt xx

Judee

That is why I always question everything

But EDS seems to match a lot of the things some of the ME doctors have been mentioning about our vascular systems and POTs (blood flow, etc.) and not being able to get the oxygen into the cells.

Anyway we could talk about some of the things you mentioned but they seem to be taking the thread off topic and I don't want to do that.

Why don't you consider starting a new thread with what you are finding in your research? :)

Last edited:
But EDS seems to match a lot of the things some of the ME doctors have been mentioning about our vascular systems and POTs (blood flow, etc.) and not being able to get the oxygen into the cells.

Anyway we could talk about some of the things you mentioned but they seem to be taking the thread off topic and I don't want to do that.

Why don't you consider starting a new thread with what you are finding in your research? :)

I agree, it sounds interesting, and it looks like you're dealing with a lot!

But I am very interested in the relationship between hEDS, EDS and ME/CFS... I have been diagnosed with ME/CFS 5 years ago. I was told by a neurologist about a year ago that my joints seem to be more hypermobile than usual, but it was only by accident that I ended up in clinic of a naturapath who specializes in EDS that I was given an hEDS diagnosis. I very easily could have gone many more years, maybe for the rest of my life, not knowing that my hypermobility is perhaps the true source of the ME/CFS, POTS, and MCAS...

And since I'm not hypermobile in my hands, it really evaded other doctors' considerations for EDS, as that's where they usually look.

That being said, I am in the process of trying the Vitamin C IM injections. So far it's been a little rocky and I've encountered a few problems.

What I do recommend before trying them, since they are a giant pain in the @r$3 however, is to try the sustained release 1000mg Vitamin C. I like the NOW brand of this... I tried these first and I felt a difference in my energy, but then had to stop using them because it really hurt my stomach after just a couple of days. My stomach is just too fragile for regular high mg vitamin C.

As for the IM Injections, here is an update. Keep in mind I'm doing all of this under the guidance of my naturapath.

1. I started out injecting straight Ascorbic Acid in .5ml dose. I was injecting into my vastus lateralis (thigh) and ventrogluteal (hip) sites, and trading from left to right every day... so every 4 days I'd come back around to the first site. My first two thigh injections went fine. There was some pain but not terrible, although I think I have a high pain tolerance. I do also work out the muscle first every time.

However, after that I kept experiencing problems with the thigh injections. I first think I hit a nerve on the left side. The injection was pretty painful, but since they are known for being painful I went with it anyway. But afterwards I had some strange nerve sensations for many days which was a little freaky. This was a little bit lateral and in the middle third of the thigh where I've seen people say it was safe to do IM injections for other things.

So then I tried to inject into my rectus femoris muscle, which was incredibly painful. So decided not to do that again.

Next time around I tried my right thigh, but a landed it a little lower (inferior) to that middle third region of the thigh they recommend, and again hit a nerve. It was very painful afterward, and I felt and still feel nerve sensations and it's been about a week and half. I do know it's healing, but I did a little damage to it. Damn.

2. If you work out before - I'm just doing a few hEDS recommended PT exercises, mainly hip raises, plus then a few extra hip exercises just before injecting, it doesn't take a whole lot - there is hardly any pain for me as I inject. The pain comes after that, and isn't that bad, as it feels like the C spreads into the surrounding muscles/area.

3. I had something weird happen that changed everything:
Last week after I injected into my left hip the C felt like it spread into my hip joint - like literally into the joint itself, and anytime I stood on that leg in just the right spot my leg would give out and collapse a little. It felt like the C got into some tendons or something deep in there and did a little damage? I am not a medical person in anyway, that's just what it felt like so I have no idea what really happened.

Then after that the hip joint was inflammed and hurt a bit for a few days. So I stopped the injections altogether for a few days.

4. So now I'm doing them much differently:
I bought bacteriostatic water and am mixing half and half with that. I also took the C back down to .3ml, so it's .3ml C + .3ml bacteriostatic water = .6ml shot.

I'm also a very small person and the needles are 1.5" long... so I'm not injecting as deeply, trying to only pluge the needle in 1 -1.25".

And I'm only doing them every other day at the moment to give things lots of time to heal, especially since I'm no longer using my thighs as sites and have to trade off between only two sites.

5. I discovered that I have a terrible fear of needles.
I didn't really know this about myself. I've never been able to watch when I get blood drawn, but never thought much about it. So I had to overcome this fear in order to do this. I still shake a little when giving myself a shot and I still do things to calm myself down, but it's getting easier..

I thought I'd post a detailed description of what I'm experiencing, simply because there is so little information out there about it, and even though I have help from a medical professional, it's such a rare thing to be doing that even they don't know a great deal about it. This is kind of a new field... we need to share information and stories.

Please if you try it, let us all know what your experience has been like.

I've been reading some more on the lessflexible website that was mentioned.

Madora's symptoms are/were so similar to many of us here. Like me and the other two ladies who posted Ehler Danlos/ Vitamin C injection videos on YT, I've pretty much been sick all my life.

One thing I read today is she said feeling faint all the time was really annoying.

Yes!!! That with the fatigue and brain fog are probably my big three.

The others like sensitivities, IBS, and achy-ness, I've learned to live with or work around by avoidance to known triggers but those top three and especially the feeling faint ALL the time are what make living and functioning so difficult.

YES! I so much agree. Although I haven't suffered these symptoms all of my life, as they all came on slowly for me throughout my 30s, I can't believe how similar Madora and even some of the things Audrey mentions are to my own symptoms. The brain fog, the dizziness, the back and neck pain, stomach bloating, digestive issues, gum issues... I was a dancer in my 20's and 30's and I just didn't understand why I could barely even stand on one leg anymore. For me it's more like a dizziness, but it's all the time and it sucks.

Isn't it funny how validating it can feel when you find out that someone else has experienced the same things you have? I think in our world, where doctors invalidate you and friends and family really don't understand, it just feels nice to feel understood for a minute.

Last edited:

Mary

Moderator Resource
I started using diy liposomal C using the recipe Mary posted. For some reason I can't reach the site she linked anymore. It seems it's down now. :(

When I realized that I tried to put the instructions on a document from memory right away.

I hope the attached is correct.
Your instructions for liposomal C are the same as mine, except I used soy lecithin and your instructions are much more concise! ( a good thing :nerd: )

I think perhaps the liposomal vitamin C ended up giving me insomnia because of the lecithin. I've read about how it can rev up people's brains. It's possible that I might tolerate it if I just take during day before 2:00 p.m. I react to SOOOOOO many things with severe insomnia if taken later or after dinner - any relative of MSG keeps me awake all night (Hidden sources of free glutamate (truthinlabeling.org)

Anyways, here's my version of your vitamin C ;)

Vitamin C
3 level tablespoons of soy lecithin (45cc). Make sure it is GMO free and organic if possible.
1 level tablespoon ascorbic acid powder (15cc)

Dissolve the lecithin in 1 cup (240cc) warm, NOT HOT, water, preferably distilled. You can use cold water but it dissolves much faster if slightly warmed. If the water is hot, it will clump rather than dissolve.

Dissolve the ascorbic acid in 1/2 cup warm water, preferably distilled.

Pour both solutions together into a wide mouth mason jar or other container that can accommodate the stick blender.

Blend until it forms a cloudy, homogeneous mixture in about 2 minutes.
Refrigerate and you're done. You will have to calculate the dose you are taking by the amount of Vitamin C in the product you use. For example, I bought a buffered powder that will give me 12 grams of Vitamin C in 14 oz of solution. When I make this I am going to add enough extra Vitamin C to make 1g/oz.

PhoenixDown

I think this is most probably bs... bad science. I've tried all sorts of vitamin and supplement treatments over the years including injecting and I never got one iota of benefit from them. Save your money.

I think this is most probably bs... bad science. I've tried all sorts of vitamin and supplement treatments over the years including injecting and I never got one iota of benefit from them. Save your money.

You know, comments like these last two are just unhelpful. Please, feel free to let us know if you've tried something that didn't work for you, that's helpful. But being judgy and negative isn't.

And btw, it isn't bad science, there is no science on this. WE are the science. There are three women on the internet that this has helped, that's it.

One woman, Madora, with the lessflexible.com blog, travels to EDS conferences and has tried to tell as many of the researchers and doctors at these conferences about her experience in hopes that maybe one day there will be research on it. Every one of them tells her that there never will be... because there is no money in Vitamin C injections.

Because of the crappy way our world works, where diseases that make the most money for corporate pharma companies get the best research opportunities, we have to rely on ourselves to figure out what works for us.

N = 1. You are your own research. If something works for you, then you know, without a doubt, that it works, no matter what any research out there says or doesn't say.

And if a treatment is relatively safe and inexpensive, and there are other people that have benefited from it, why wouldn't you try it?

So please, I'm asking anyone in the future that wants to come on this thread to keep it positive, or helpful. Unless you have an actual experience to share, some research, or some interesting ideas, just stay off of here. If you just want give nothing but a negative opinion, like the last two, don't do it - keep it to yourself. I for one, would like to remain optimistic and hopeful, and you don't do anyone any good spreading your negativity.

Staying hopeful and optimistic is really hard when you have a chronic illness. Please don't make it harder for us.

Aidan Walsh

A lot are told they have POTS & they may not have this it could be AFib Atrial Fibrillation instead. One woman said she was told she had POTS for 8 years it turns out she has hypovolemia.

I am worried about Vitamin C when China mass produces it made from black mold.
I read all of her posts on Vitamin C injections I was not impressed at all.

My Doctor suspects I now have AFib my pulse is very erratic when she felt my wrist she sent my long ECG to Cardiology so now I am waiting for feedback soon if I have this or not. I asked the nurse if it was abnormal her response was she sent it off right away. It would explain my issues with cold or hot weather & countless symptoms.

I asked her about the German Doctor's treatment for Toxoplasmosis Ghondi she said at this time this is more important to figure this out

PhoenixDown

And if a treatment is relatively safe and inexpensive, and there are other people that have benefited from it, why wouldn't you try it?
Back in 2012 l also traveled down to London to get a Myers' Cocktail injection which did didn't improve my symptoms but the journey made my ME permanently worse. If it wasn't for patient recommendations I would never have made that journey.

Judee

Back in 2012 l also traveled down to London to get a Myers' Cocktail injection which did didn't improve my symptoms

But one treatment/one time?? That's not conclusive either. The fact that the trip crashed you was to be expected. How do you know the trip alone didn't undo the good the treatment would have done? You really can't know that. Besides, orthomolecular repair takes time. Our bodies are so complex.

Back in 2012 l also traveled down to London to get a Myers' Cocktail injection which did didn't improve my symptoms but the journey made my ME permanently worse. If it wasn't for patient recommendations I would never have made that journey.
You are right... I think I should reframe my thinking about this...

With me/cfs we all have to sincerely take into consideration our energy limits and live within those first and foremost. Plus, we have to listen to our bodies very carefully. I have myself tried seemingly harmless therapies that left me crashed and barely able to move for a week or two.

I learned from those experiences and now when I try something new I introduce things very slowly to be certain my body can handle it/likes it. I also get gut feelings about things and I try my best to really listen to those instincts. And as far as traveling for stuff, yeah, travel can crash you, and travel + a new unknown therapy ... I see how that could lead to a severe crash. We have to be so careful.

But, again I absolutely advocate all of us sharing our experiences. If someone like you had tried this therapy and it crashed them, maybe if they had posted about that you would have been more considerate of that possiblity.

Last edited:
So here is the rest of my story: One of the injections I did felt like it seeped deep into my hip and actually caused the joint to feel worse. For the rest of the day if I put too much weight in just the right place the hip would give out and I'd stumble.

After that the joint would ache and I felt like I had arthritis or something in it for weeks.

Then I also started feeling like my body was toxic or trying to detox, so I stopped the injections altogether and I started feeling better.

Overall I did them for about a month and didn't really notice much improvement in energy or anything else.

Genetic Theory?
I wonder if there's a couple of genes in particular that cause the body to have problems processing vitamin C, and that's at the root of some of those girls' experiences with it.

I have since learned that I have a haplo-insufficient TNXB gene.

I know that at least two of those women who are using the VitC IM injections have a totally different gene. One has a gene associated with hEDS called SCN10A (this is public information she posted in her blog). Then another girl has Classical EDS and a gene associated with that.

TNXB causes a tenascin-X deficiency, and it's relatively rare in EDS - only 10% of EDSers have it. So maybe tanascin-X doesn't have anything to do with vitamin C and maybe that's why it seemed to not make a difference at all... ? Maybe Vit C injections work well with certain genetic deficiencies and not so well with others.