• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ideas for improving or coping with neck pain?

blueberry

@Gingergrrl I'm sorry to reply sooo late. The herb in question is skullcap. I think you are right to consult a naturopath or similar, they may be able to advise on the correct dose. I know that the efficacy of the herbal medicine I get from my medical herbalist is far better than anything I can buy off the shelf. And yes, self-massage with a tennis ball is a thing! There are loads of videos on line. You can put it in a sock, so it can't roll away, then place the ball between yourself and a wall, and roll it into all the knotty areas. This only works if your arms are relatively OK, I would have struggled with this at my worst. Good luck and I hope your pain is more manageable soon.

sb4

I have gotten interested in neck issues since reading the thread with jeff in it. It seems there are a small number of patients and chiropracters that are adament that CFS/POTS or their CFS is caused by issues in the cervical spine. It appears you are a good candidate for this, particularly with the car crash and neck pains. Perhaps you should try convince your doctor to get an upright mri. I would be very interested in the results.

Like you mentioned, cold is very good for pain. Perhaps you could try cold -> sun light on neck -> cold -> sun. Rinse repeat.

Gingergrrl

@Forçe e Honra

No, mine is my left side which is better than right since I'm right handed. But I do notice when I do less - stay off my chromebook (so no typying), don't text/message a lot on my phone - it hurts much less and much less numbness and tingling (do you get numbness and tingling?). It starts up immediately upon typing on my chromebook. I also can't leave my arm down or hold up, I have to have it resting up a little on soft pillow or rolled blankets.

I wish mine was on the left side b/c I am right-handed, too. I am the same in that texting makes the pain significantly worse (but sitting at desk and typing on my iMac is okay). I've greatly reduced the amount of texting and typing on my iPhone (for now) b/c the pain is too severe. I don't really get numbness and tingling although sometimes it feels like something is vibrating inside my arm and it's very uncomfortable. It used to be severe weakness and heaviness in my right arm but that has vastly improved so I can use my arm normally but just end up with severe pain.

It would be a steroid shot. Are you allergic to steroids? I had one previously, in my other shoulder and it worked wonderfully. I never got another (did not need it - but it was a different issue). But it is done in a surgical setting which makes sense since they are going into your presumably spaces between your cervical vertebrae which is quite delicate (not finding the correct words but I hope my meaning is clear).

I am not allergic to steroids but don't do well with them either (except for the daily dose of Cortef that I have to take). It sounds like a major procedure if it has to be done in a surgical setting. I am hoping to find another option.

In case you want it, here is the link to the one that I absolutely love (and I have another of the same brand, but a medium mat and also a giant body sized mat, same brand):
https://www.amazon.com/Shoulder-Inf...&sr=8-9&keywords=utk far infrared heating pad

Thank you and I looked at it quickly and have never seen anything like it. I am going to read more about this product for sure.

Oh, so the pain is not down the entire length of the arm? Mine is. My numbness and tingling is, as well - and my hand and fingers also.

The pain is down the right side of my neck, in my entire shoulder, and down my triceps tendon to my elbow. It rarely goes lower than that but occasionally goes all the way down my lower arm to my wrist. It has never affected my fingers.

Gingergrrl

And yes, self-massage with a tennis ball is a thing! There are loads of videos on line. You can put it in a sock, so it can't roll away, then place the ball between yourself and a wall, and roll it into all the knotty areas.

I ended up buying a 3-pack of tennis balls on Amazon b/c I was so curious to try your technique. Thank you for clarifying about the sock so the ball does not keep dropping to the floor (which was happening to me)! :bang-head: I am going to try this again using the sock next time!

It appears you are a good candidate for this, particularly with the car crash and neck pains. Perhaps you should try convince your doctor to get an upright mri. I would be very interested in the results.

My car accident was in 2006, my arm injury from Levaquin was 2010, and this illness began in Jan 2013 (following mono and then a virus that gave me POTS). I'm not sure that they are related in my case since I've had such significant improvements from autoimmune treatments.

But I am not ruling anything out and am open to having an MRI without contrast if it is recommended by a doctor to see what is going on with my neck. I suspect that the true source of the pain is my right arm, and that my shoulder and neck have done the work of my arm for so many years, that they are just badly injured.

Like you mentioned, cold is very good for pain. Perhaps you could try cold -> sun light on neck -> cold -> sun. Rinse repeat.

I definitely do this (ice packs and heating pad) and will continue. Thanks again to everyone for all of these great suggestions and will update again once I get to research everything and make appt with a chiropractor (or PT)?

StarChild56

@Forçe e Honra

I wish mine was on the left side b/c I am right-handed, too. I am the same in that texting makes the pain significantly worse (but sitting at desk and typing on my iMac is okay). I've greatly reduced the amount of texting and typing on my iPhone (for now) b/c the pain is too severe. I don't really get numbness and tingling although sometimes it feels like something is vibrating inside my arm and it's very uncomfortable. It used to be severe weakness and heaviness in my right arm but that has vastly improved so I can use my arm normally but just end up with severe pain.
I'm so sorry, @Gingergrrl I can only imagine! For me, typing on my chromebook hurts more than texting/more quickly but that may be because I can text-type with mostly my right hand on my phone whereas on the chromebook I touch type.

I am not allergic to steroids but don't do well with them either (except for the daily dose of Cortef that I have to take). It sounds like a major procedure if it has to be done in a surgical setting. I am hoping to find another option.
Hope you do, too and soon! I just read up on the cervical epidural steroid injection - and it looks like they DO use contrast - which makes sense so that they get the medicine in the exact right place (it could be dangerous if even off by a tiny amount). "Contrast dye is injected into the space to make sure the needle is properly positioned in the epidural space near the irritated nerve or nerves." So that would take that option off your list. Sorry.

Thank you and I looked at it quickly and have never seen anything like it. I am going to read more about this product for sure.
:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

I hope you get relief soon.