Iceman Wim Hof Breathing Method

cman89

I have heard of positive results from Zen Meditation, and Tantric Breathing practices also. When tolerated, cold exposure alone can help with immune regulation, as long as it is metered properly. Any combination of these techniques can be useful. I use vibration breathing to address migraine onset, and it helps, but does not cure. Given that, I can easily see how anything that calms your system can have a positive influence on immune factors.

Effi

I think many ME patients with autonomic nervous system problems would have a lot of trouble with this Wim Hof method. The energy it takes for your body to warm up again could easily lead to a crash.

Btw, there have been reports about people dying while doing these exercises. Supposedly he doesn't warn people enough about possible harmful effects. This doesn't mean the exercises are dangerous per se, but caution is definitely in order for people like us who are weakened by chronic illness to begin with. (article about this here - this article talks about three people in 2015; there was another death in 2016)

Deltrus

I found the pranamaya breathing technique he uses gave around a 6% ish boost to my health in general permanently. Honestly my diaphragm and breathing in general was getting very weak from lying down all day every day, and the exercises can be done laying down so they are good for people with CFS. I still have CFS but I feel like I'l be a bit healthier when they find a cure than I would be without it.

People with CFS should also look into zhan zhuang and standing in horse stance. They really help preserve posture and proper musculoskeletal dynamics even for people with severe fatigue.

ChrisD

I think many ME patients with autonomic nervous system problems would have a lot of trouble with this Wim Hof method. The energy it takes for your body to warm up again could easily lead to a crash.

Btw, there have been reports about people dying while doing these exercises. Supposedly he doesn't warn people enough about possible harmful effects. This doesn't mean the exercises are dangerous per se, but caution is definitely in order for people like us who are weakened by chronic illness to begin with. (article about this here - this article talks about three people in 2015; there was another death in 2016)
@Effi To be more specific, I wasn't suggesting the Ice bath breathing as first port of call. If you download the app or resources from Wim Hof Online, he has recorded various training videos seated in a meditation position. In that respect it is very safe. To be honest it has been making me feel quite tired but I am potentially sleeping better and 'healing', I have moderate CFS (not severe) so I have been able to try a few cold showers too which have contributed towards better ennergy levels by stimulating mitochondria...

ChrisD

Thanks for posting this, Chris. I started this method after reading this in november 2018 and it seems to have a positive effect on my well being. It is not an easy path and I find you need to take small steps in increasing the cold exposure as well as breath exercises, but overall I like it a lot.

helen1

I’ve been doing wim hof cold immersion therapy for a couple of years. It reduces my PEM symptoms noticeably especially when the water’s coldest. A few times it’s eliminated PEM completely if I do it at the start of PEM.

At times, I have to really convince myself to get into the cold ocean but many times I’m happy to march in, breathe slowly, paddle about for 30 seconds (that part is definitely unpleasant), then feel better - always. I can usually stay in 1-15 mins depending on the ocean temperature. It varies during the year from 6C to 11C (43-52 F) where I live.

I prefer the ocean by a mile but do cold baths if it’s too cold & rainy out for me. I’ve recently graduated to lying down in the cold bath when I bathe, not just immersing myself to the waist. It honestly feels great (after about 10 seconds of unpleasantness) when I lie back.

I started very cautiously a few years ago with just my feet immersed, then I went to sitting in a few inches of water with my upper body wrapped in sweaters.

I definitely agree with the others that cold immersion would almost certainly cause a crash if you didn’t start very low & slow.

Even though it’s not very appealing at times, it’s sure good to have something that reduces PEM.

Last edited: