• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ibuprofen reduces my fatigue significantly

cigana

I'll mention this briefly as there doesn't seem to be a post on this already.
400mg of ibuprofen significantly reduces my fatigue, I can act almost normally (i.e. go walking)
for a couple of hours with minimal payback and reduced PEM.

I've tried this many times now and always notice an effect. I don't take it every day for fear that it will lose its effect.

Since it's cheap, it might be worth trying. I assume it works by modulating my immune system.

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
Doesn't do anything for me, doesn't even help with my ME headache. Occasionally I notice an improvement after taking ibuprofen, but that could just be me improving as the day progresses anyway. Mostly it doesn't seem to help, but I sometimes still take it just to feel like I'm doing something.

Glad it works for you anyway, be interesting to see what other people say.

deleder2k

I am glad on your behalf! I'm not sure if I've talked with anyone that says Ibuprofen significantly reduces pain and PEM.

Ibuprofen doesn't work at all for me unless I have a headache. I need 100mg Tramadol or 5-10 mg of Oxycodone for joint and muscle pain.

Thinktank

Ibuprofen lowers PGE2 significantly. Perhaps it has to do something with you feeling better.
Have you ever had your PGE2 measured?

Last edited:

cigana

Ibuprofen lowers PGE2 significantly. Perhaps it has to do something with you feeling better.
Have you ever had your PGE2 measured?
Yes, my PGE2 is consistently raised (according to RED Labs). That lead me to try a long list of natural PGE2 inhibitors, but none of them had any effect.
So, either PGE2 is not the problem, or ibuprofen is way more effective than the natural alternatives.
Of course ibuprofen has other effects, such as inhibiting NF-kB and reducing inflammation.

Last edited:

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I don't recall ibuprofen having any impact on me, but I think I have only taken it for more-conventional purposes, such as specific pain, and I don't think it works very well for that only - my fall-back painkiller tends to be paracetamol (acetaminophen) plus codeine.

I tried some natural anti-inflammatory things too: turmeric, for example, and that seemed to make me worse.

Just illustrates that we probably have a range of different illnesses!

I rarely get pain as part of my ME, apart from muscle pain after use, and that's not too bad.

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
I tried natural COX inhibitors Curcumin, Perluxan and Propolis in high doses with no effect.
However, I think ibuprofen inhibits both COX 1 and 2, whereas the natural inhibitors COX 2 only...

Yep - Ibuprofen inhibits both hence it's reputation for being hard on the stomach. I've previously gotten complete relief (temporary) from severe anxiety using Celebrex which is a selective Cox-2 inhibitor.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@deleder2k I've had really good luck with New Zealand sea mussel and my hip pain. I can really tell if I haven't taken it.

I used to take Food Sciencr of Vernont but iHerb has a brand California gold which is much cheaper.

If you have shell fish allergy then this is out of course.

Misfit Toy

Ibuprofen can help me also. Anything that helps my pain helps my fatigue. Not a lot like you, but I'll take any improvement.

*GG*

Tylenol (acetaminophen) helps my pain/headaches, not Ibuprofen. My PEM is not as bad in recent years, not positive as to why, but I am trying to keep things as they are, and even push the envelope here and there :)

GG

dannybex

I've had to take ibuprofen about once or twice a week for the last couple of months due to back pain. It certainly does help -- I can walk easier, etc..

My concern is that all NSAIDS and most painkillers can increase intestinal permeability, which is often a problem with ME/CFS patients already. But at the same time, stress, like the stress from being in pain, can increase IP as well, so it's a catch-22...

barbc56

Ibuprofen does not help me but it certainty would make sense since it reduces inflamation. Unfortunately, it really bothers my stomach, so maybe it would help long term but see below why that might be harmful.

Tramadol does wonders for my pain but not my fatigue but who knows my fatigue might be even worse if I didn't take it. In fact, it most likely would.

While I have heard Tylenol is harmful on a long term basis, to the liver and NASAIDS on the stomach, I had no idea that more and more evidence is showing NASAIDS can also cause heart problems, stroke and other nasty side effects in long term use.

It sounds like this is a fairly recent discovery which makes me wonder if there will eventually be a warning on the bottle.
https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-evolving-story-of-the-harms-of-anti-inflammatory-drugs/

Barb

ETA I would think occasional use of NASAIDS would be okay.