• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

IBS much improved after removing CHLORAMINE (not the same as chlorine) from my tap drinking water, which is not removed by carbon filters

Hip

do you use powdered Vitamin C? thanks.

No, what I do is break up 1 gram vitamin C effervescent tablets into fragments that are around 30mg. See this earlier post.

You could use vitamin C powder though. A pinch (between your thumb and forefinger) of vitamin C powder weighs about 50 mg.

ebethc

No, what I do is break up 1 gram vitamin C effervescent tablets into fragments that are around 30mg. See this earlier post.

You could use vitamin C powder though. A pinch (between your thumb and forefinger) of vitamin C powder weighs about 50 mg.

I read your posts and tried the high-dose selenium... wow... I feel like the edema is gone from my neck and upper chest... am I imagining that?? I'm hypothyroid, so I often feel sluggish and bloated.. fatigued, joint pain, brain fog.. I don't think that the thyroid causes all of that, but I really want to knock out the brain fog so i can WORK..

thanks.

jason30

Thanks for this great tip Hip!
I wonder if the form matters, I use ester-C. Can this be used as well?

Starsister

My Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) was Much Improved After I Removed Chloramine From my Drinking Water

Recently I discovered that my local water utility company puts chloramine (as well as chlorine) into the tap drinking water.

Chloramine is a disinfectant (chemical formula NH2Cl) added to the drinking water supply in some areas of the US, the UK, Canada and Australia, in addition to chlorine.

Unlike chlorine, chloramine is not easily removed from your tap water by boiling, nor by letting the tap water stand in an open bottle overnight (aeration). So this means that chloramine remains in the drinking water even when you boil the kettle to make a tea or coffee, and even when you cook food with boiling water.

Furthermore, chloramine is not removed from tap water by the activated carbon filters that are used to remove chlorine; so even if you have such a tap water filter, this will not protect you from chloramine.

Research on the negative health affects of chloramine is scant, though there are many anecdotal reports on the Internet of health problems caused by chloramine in tap water, particularly problems with the skin (some reports given here: 1, 2). Apparently, many people only notice the ill health affects of chloramine when they travel abroad, or when they travel to a different part the country (say on a business trip), where there is no chloramine the water, and notice that while they are away, certain chronic ailments or symptoms they have just disappear.

I had an idea that chloramines in my water supply might be affecting my intestines, and worsening my IBS.

Thus I decided to test my theory that chloramine was exacerbating my IBS symptoms by removing all chloramine from my drinking and cooking water.

You can quickly and easily remove the chloramine from your drinking water simply by adding vitamin C to the water. You just need to add 10 mg of vitamin C to neutralize each liter of water. (Alternatively 20 mg of sodium thiosulfate will also neutralize the chloramine in a liter of water). References: 1, 2, 3, 4.

So all I did was add a very small amount of vitamin C to all the tap water I drink and use for making tea and coffee, and to all the tap water I use for cooking.

Within a couple of days of doing this, my IBS symptoms were noticeably improved, and have remained much improved.

So anyone here who is battling IBS or other bowel symptoms, check to see if your local water supplier is putting chloramine into your drinking water, and if so, consider trying this simple vitamin C neutralization technique to remove the chloramine.

Your IBS / bowel symptoms may be significantly improved within days.

Note: the improvement in symptoms happens fast, within a day or two of removing chloramine, so it does not take long to see if removing chloramine is going to be of benefit for you.
I have been using a reverse osmosis filter along with a fluoride filter for my water for years. Are you saying that even the RO system does not filter out chloramine?

Hip

I have been using a reverse osmosis filter along with a fluoride filter for my water for years. Are you saying that even the RO system does not filter out chloramine?

I don't know the answer offhand, but a quick Google search finds several statements that reverse osmosis does not remove chloramine, but some other statements say it does.

L'engle

moogle
I don't have IBS, but I have noticed I have some queasiness if I drink our local water (with chloramine) unfiltered. It's noticeable enough that I won't drink the unfiltered water anymore.

I have the same situation. Our water tends to smell quite bleachy at some times of the year and I stopped drinking it a couple of years ago because my stomach would hurt after drinking it. I buy water from the grocery store and transfer it out of the plastic jug it is sold in to a glass container as quickly as I can.

flitza

My Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) was Much Improved After I Removed Chloramine From my Drinking Water

Recently I discovered that my local water utility company puts chloramine (as well as chlorine) into the tap drinking water.

Chloramine is a disinfectant (chemical formula NH2Cl) added to the drinking water supply in some areas of the US, the UK, Canada and Australia, in addition to chlorine.

Unlike chlorine, chloramine is not easily removed from your tap water by boiling, nor by letting the tap water stand in an open bottle overnight (aeration). So this means that chloramine remains in the drinking water even when you boil the kettle to make a tea or coffee, and even when you cook food with boiling water.

Furthermore, chloramine is not removed from tap water by the activated carbon filters that are used to remove chlorine; so even if you have such a tap water filter, this will not protect you from chloramine.

Research on the negative health affects of chloramine is scant, though there are many anecdotal reports on the Internet of health problems caused by chloramine in tap water, particularly problems with the skin (some reports given here: 1, 2). Apparently, many people only notice the ill health affects of chloramine when they travel abroad, or when they travel to a different part the country (say on a business trip), where there is no chloramine the water, and notice that while they are away, certain chronic ailments or symptoms they have just disappear.

I had an idea that chloramines in my water supply might be affecting my intestines, and worsening my IBS.

Thus I decided to test my theory that chloramine was exacerbating my IBS symptoms by removing all chloramine from my drinking and cooking water.

You can quickly and easily remove the chloramine from your drinking water simply by adding vitamin C to the water. You just need to add 10 mg of vitamin C to neutralize each liter of water. (Alternatively 20 mg of sodium thiosulfate will also neutralize the chloramine in a liter of water). References: 1, 2, 3, 4.

So all I did was add a very small amount of vitamin C to all the tap water I drink and use for making tea and coffee, and to all the tap water I use for cooking.

Within a couple of days of doing this, my IBS symptoms were noticeably improved, and have remained much improved.

So anyone here who is battling IBS or other bowel symptoms, check to see if your local water supplier is putting chloramine into your drinking water, and if so, consider trying this simple vitamin C neutralization technique to remove the chloramine.

Note: the improvement in symptoms happens fast, within a day or two of removing chloramine, so it does not take long to see if removing chloramine is going to be of benefit for you.

Got all excited about this. I checked the local water report and they do use chloramine. I use a Berkey countertop filter and according to their tests 99.9% of chloramine is removed. So that can't be it for me. But thanks for the informative post.

GypsyGirl

Thank you for posting this. I was getting itchy dermatitis patches from baths, and couldn't figure out why my household's distilled drinking water system still tasted weird. Called the local water company to confirm chloramine use and solved both issues by adding vitamin c. Such a simple fix.

and the mineral water (those that sell in supermarkets) have chloramines or is naturaly free

GlassCannonLife

Are you still doing this Hip? I'm just starting today, will see how it goes.

I keep a large cup (900 mL yeti) of water by the bed. It is stainless steel on the inside.. Do you have any thoughts on whether this might be an issue? I doubt the pH would drop sufficiently to increase metal ion leaching into the water right..? Not sure about any other potential reactions as I'm too unwell to look any up at the moment.. I did notice a slightly more metallic smell from the cup/water after adding a tiny pinch of vit c though - not sure why?

Last edited:

Hip

Are you still doing this Hip? I'm just starting today, will see how it goes.

I was removing chloramine from my tap water for about 5 years or so after posting this thread. In more recent years, my IBS has improved, so I've now dropped removing chloramine.

Though I drink mineral water when I want something to drink, which has no chloramine. My only source of chloramine is my tea and coffee, which I make with tap water. And any water used for cooking. So I would add some vitamin C to my tea or coffee to neutralize the chloramine.

GlassCannonLife

I was removing chloramine from my tap water for about 5 years or so after posting this thread. In more recent years, my IBS has improved, so I've now dropped removing chloramine.

Though I drink mineral water when I want something to drink, which has no chloramine. My only source of chloramine is my tea and coffee, which I make with tap water. And any water used for cooking. So I would add some vitamin C to my tea or coffee to neutralize the chloramine.

Ah ok cool, thanks.

Not sure if you noticed the edit I made so I thought I'd reply just in case. Sorry to badger you so much

BrightCandle

For tea/coffee you can remineralise distilled water. Third wave water do sachets that provide the optimal minerals for the flavour of coffee and could be another route to a clean drinking water source. I use a ZeroWater filter to remove most of what is in tap water and then remineralise for coffee purposes but all the water I drink is filtered these days.

Hip

For tea/coffee you can remineralise distilled water.

It's so easy to neutralize the chloramine though: a pinch of vitamin C powder (about 10 mg) between your fingers is enough to neutralize the chloramine in a whole liter.

So I would make my tea or coffee in a mug, and then just add a pinch of ascorbic acid.