• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

IACFS Conference announcement: NIH travel award grants for up to 10 early stage investigators

charles shepherd

IACFS Conference announcement: NIH grants for up to 10 early stage investigators

International Association for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis

June 9, 2016

The IACFS/ME has been awarded a R13 conference grant by the National Institutes of Healthfor our international conference in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, October 27 - 30, 2016.

The grant will fund conference registration, travel and hotel expenses for up to 10 early stage investigators (ESIs) interested in pursuing a research career in CFS/ME.

ESIs are defined as those who have not been awarded a major NIH-supported research project other than early stage or small research grants or for training, infrastructure, and career awards.

See this link for details:https://grants.nih.gov/policy/new_investigators/index.htm

We also encourage applications from investigators who are new to this field, women, and from groups underrepresented in the sciences, as defined by the NIH.

Candidates will be selected by the planning committee based on the scientific merit of their submitted abstracts to the conference and/or a written statement explaining their potential interest in the field.

The brief written statement (single spaced, one inch margins, 12 point font, up to 300 words) should describe what you are working on and why you want to study CFS/ME. Also, please attach a CV.

Selection criteria will also include quality of the candidate's research, geographical location, and potential commitment to CFS/ME research. International applicants are welcome.

Abstracts are submitted through the standard submission link: http://iacfsme.org/

Check boxes are provided for your investigator status.

Submit your statement through the same abstract submission link.

Title your statement: Travel Award Application.

Submission deadline is June 17th at 6:00PM Eastern Daylight Time, USA

The grant will fund conference registration, travel and hotel expenses for up to 10 early stage investigators (ESIs) interested in pursuing a research career in CFS/ME.

This is really good news and worth highlighting. It might be minor in terms of funding and immediate impact but it signals a very clear intent to bring more researchers into ME/CFS.

More importantly they said they would do this and they are doing it, so hopefully it bodes well for everything else they said they would do.

charles shepherd

June 12th Update from IACFS

Closing date for applications has been extended to 30th June:

Please upload and submit your abstract through the following link:http://iacfsme.org/Conferences/2016-Fort-Lauderdale/Abstract-Submission-Form.aspxTo apply for the award, please check the boxes on the abstract link designating your investigator status relevant to this award. If submitting a statement, type in: "Travel Award Application" in the "Research Type Other" box. Then upload and submit your statement through the abstract submission link. Title your statement: Travel Award Application.

Extended deadline for travel award submissions is June 30, 2016, 6:00 PM Pacific Standard Time, USA.

Justin30

Can someone please try to use SPECT and PET Scans in replication study to see if this is a true encepholopathy as proposed by Dowsett, Ramsays, Hyde, Goldstein, etc.

I would be happy if FMRI could produce the same findings as SPECT and PET.

I dont care whats used but the brain and spinal cord really needs to be looked at.

charles shepherd

Deadline for abstracts and workshop proposals also extended:

12th International IACFS/ME Research and Clinical Conference:

Emerging Science and Clinical Care

October 27-30, 2016

The Westin Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort, Fort Lauderdale, Florida USA

Abstracts and Workshop Proposals Welcome

Extended deadline: June 17, 2016.

For full instructions:
http://iacfsme.org/PDFS/2015DecNewsletter/Call_for_Papers_2016_extended_deadline.aspxt

With best regards,

Fred
Fred Friedberg, PhD
President
International Association for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis