• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I wonder if i should try diflucan

Wanja

Hey guys,

I joined the forum as i got from being mild to bedridden in 5 weeks.

It started with fatigue and burning sensation in my guts after eating followed by insane brain fog and feverish episodes with heavy circulation problems and bloodempty feeling in the head while standing.
It completly changed to heavy neurological symptoms (headaches, spasms in legs, desorientation, dizzyness, lack of processing surroundings, paralysis) and as i have weird spots on my tongue for years now since cfs started (with the exact symptoms from above) and it was gone from amphomoronal for a few weeks i guess its candida as i have IBS as well.

So as i am feeling like dying right now and i am in the worst crash i ever had, would it make sense to take diflucan now?
In 2016 u took it for a month and went into remission the month after.

I am just trying to do everything i can to get out of this situation...

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I am just trying to do everything i can to get out of this situation...

I have found it safest and fewer "crashes" on trying things if I just introduce one thing at a time. It sounds like that's what you're saying in your post (that you want to try one thing) but I would say try not to get so desperate that you start throwing everything at this.

From myself and what I have observed in others here on PR, that doesn't seem to work well and seems to snowball the crashes even more so.

Sorry, I know that doesn't answer your main question. If you are just going to try that one thing and you have some on hand and it worked in the past then you could try it again.

Please let us know if you get the remission again too so we can celebrate with you.

(Of course, if it doesn't work out as well...sometimes things don't work the second time...come back here as well. That's what PR is here for. )

Pyrrhus

i have weird spots on my tongue for years now since cfs started (with the exact symptoms from above) and it was gone from amphomoronal for a few weeks i guess its candida

So the weird spots on your tongue disappeared with the anti-fungal treatment amphotericin-B? What did these weird spots look like?

So in 2016 you took the anti-fungal treatment fluconazole for a month and then you went into remission? What type of remission- no symptoms or just mild symptoms?

(These observations certainly sound interesting, but I'm not sure I can provide any great insight here.)

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I have also had good responses from taking a month course of diflucan (I have a verified problem with candida). It is a drug with potential side-effects though. I wouldn’t say it gave me a remission but I definitely felt much better...but candida is hard to control and comes back. I now take courses of herbal anti fungal with breaks in between and avoid eating any sugar. Still candida seems to be lucking in the wings.

Wanja

I have also had good responses from taking a month course of diflucan (I have a verified problem with candida). It is a drug with potential side-effects though. I wouldn’t say it gave me a remission but I definitely felt much better...but candida is hard to control and comes back. I now take courses of herbal anti fungal with breaks in between and avoid eating any sugar. Still candida seems to be lucking in the wings.

I dont eat sugar at all for over a year now...
They did simple tests but i just guess i dont have Candida Albicans but another species...

How did they test yours?
How did you take the diflucan? 200mg per day in the morning? Anything extra?

Wanja

So the weird spots on your tongue disappeared with the anti-fungal treatment amphotericin-B? What did these weird spots look like?

So in 2016 you took the anti-fungal treatment fluconazole for a month and then you went into remission? What type of remission- no symptoms or just mild symptoms?

(These observations certainly sound interesting, but I'm not sure I can provide any great insight here.)

Yeah i took fluconazol and another antiparasitic hardcore med as they measured bilharziose antibodies. After this my symptoms became better and better over month... I was able to work again, redid my exams, go to partys until 7am and even started weightlifting 4 times a week.
I felt like shit the day after but if i rested a little bit it just went back to normal again.
I still had derealisation from the beginning and it never fully went away.

Ill put a photo of my tongue in the attachments!
IMG_20210426_100423.jpg

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
How did they test yours?
How did you take the diflucan? 200mg per day in the morning? Anything extra?
I was tested regularly from the late 90's through about 2007 and I was tested in different ways but it is too long ago to remember much about it. I took about 3 one-month courses of diflucan, some at 100 mg some at 200 mg but I don't remember what time of day I took it. I doubt if I was taking anything else for candida while I was taking diflucan. Since then I have only taken herbals for it. Good luck!

Pyrrhus

Yeah i took fluconazol and another antiparasitic hardcore med as they measured bilharziose antibodies.

Yellow fever vaccine, schistosomiasis- you must have done some very interesting traveling! :thumbsup:

May I assume that the bilharziose/schistosomiasis was fully treated? Did the antibodies go away eventually?

Ill put a photo of my tongue in the attachments!

Wow. Yeah, I'm no dermatologist but to me that may look like the type of fungal tongue infection that we call "thrush" here in the U.S. I see what you mean.

I often wish I knew more about anti-fungal treatment strategies.

I guess the bigger question is: why do you seem to get recurring fungal infections?

Have you been taking long-term antibiotics?
Do you have any immune deficiencies or abnormalities?
(An immune deficiency might also explain the YEL-AND you experienced from the yellow fever vaccine.)

I'm so sorry that you're going through all this! :(

P.S. According to the rules of this forum, we can not ask for medical advice or give medical advice. So, you might want to change the title of your thread from "Should I take Diflucan?" to something like "I'm wondering if I should take Diflucan."

Last edited:

Wanja

Yellow fever vaccine, schistosomiasis- you must have done some very interesting traveling! :thumbsup:

May I assume that the bilharziose/schistosomiasis was fully treated? Did the antibodies go away eventually?

Wow. Yeah, I'm no dermatologist but to me that may look like the type of fungal tongue infection that we call "thrush" here in the U.S. I see what you mean.

I often wish I knew more about anti-fungal treatment strategies.

I guess the bigger question is: why do you seem to get recurring fungal infections?

Have you been taking long-term antibiotics?
Do you have any immune deficiencies or abnormalities?
(An immune deficiency might also explain the YEL-AND you experienced from the yellow fever vaccine.)

I'm so sorry that you're going through all this! :(

P.S. According to the rules of this forum, we can not ask for medical advice or give medical advice. So, you might want to change the title of your thread from "Should I take Diflucan?" to something like "I'm wondering if I should take Diflucan."

I cant remember getting long term antibiotics.
Well i did get some back then after some bacterial infection... For only for 5 days or so.
The tongue started looking weird with my first crash in 2016, where it also started with intestinal burning sensation amd 3 month of diarrhea...

How do they find out about such an immune deficiencies? Where should i check for that and what?

Well... I took the meds against the schistosomiasis vut it was never checked again...

I was kinda giving up after thousands of doctors etc. And somehow it got better. No i feel like my life is over, my brain is affected in such a matter i cant even walk to the grocery store, everything is so delayed and i am not myself anymore...

ljimbo423

So as i am feeling like dying right now and i am in the worst crash i ever had, would it make sense to take diflucan now?

I think it might be helpful to follow up on treating a yeast overgrowth in your gut, or possibly parasites or bacterial dysbiosis. These things can be hard to get rid of completely and often it takes long term treatment to do so.

Many people need a low sugar, low carb diet for life, after getting rid of any overgrowth's and still may need periodic re-treatment to stay healthy.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Wanja - You might try coconut oil. It's an antifungal. Several years ago I used it for a systemic yeast infection and it worked very well. I worked up to taking 2 tablespoons a day - it caused a very strong herx reaction so had to go slow. I took it for 11 days and that was it. Here's one article: Coconut Oil for Yeast Infection: Does It Work? (healthline.com)

Coconut oil can control overgrowth of a fungal pathogen in GI tract, study in mice suggests -- ScienceDaily

You'll note that the first article says there is not a lot of research on this, and of course there isn't. Coconut oil can't be patented.

Some people don't do well with coconut oil but I think the vast majority have no problem with it. You can apply it topically and ingest it. It melts at 76 degrees so easily melts in the mouth.

It's high in caprylic acid, capric acid and lauric acid, which are anti-fungal.

Pyrrhus

How do they find out about such an immune deficiencies? Where should i check for that and what?

You can ask your primary doctor to run some basic tests. I don't know the German names for these tests, but here are the American names:
  • Comprehensive Blood Count
  • Lymphocyte Subset Panel
  • IgG Subclass Panel
  • HIV Antibody Test
There are other tests, but these are typically the first tests to perform. Feel free to send me a private message if you would like more information to discuss with your doctor.

Well... I took the meds against the schistosomiasis vut it was never checked again...

You can also ask your primary doctor to re-test the bilharziose/schistosomiasis antibodies. If it has been a number of years since the schistosomiasis was treated successfully, then you should see a decrease in the antibodies compared to the original antibody test you had before the treatment. Maybe it will be a small decrease or maybe it will be a large decrease- it is hard to predict.

I hope this helps.

Wanja

You can ask your primary doctor to run some basic tests. I don't know the German names for these tests, but here are the American names:
  • Comprehensive Blood Count
  • Lymphocyte Subset Panel
  • IgG Subclass Panel
  • HIV Antibody Test
There are other tests, but these are typically the first tests to perform. Feel free to send me a private message if you would like more information to discuss with your doctor.

You can also ask your primary doctor to re-test the bilharziose/schistosomiasis antibodies. If it has been a number of years since the schistosomiasis was treated successfully, then you should see a decrease in the antibodies compared to the original antibody test you had before the treatment. Maybe it will be a small decrease or maybe it will be a large decrease- it is hard to predict.

I hope this helps.

dont they check for these Igg and Lymphocytes in a big blood test at the hospital?

Wanja

@Wanja - You might try coconut oil. It's an antifungal. Several years ago I used it for a systemic yeast infection and it worked very well. I worked up to taking 2 tablespoons a day - it caused a very strong herx reaction so had to go slow. I took it for 11 days and that was it. Here's one article: Coconut Oil for Yeast Infection: Does It Work? (healthline.com)

Coconut oil can control overgrowth of a fungal pathogen in GI tract, study in mice suggests -- ScienceDaily

You'll note that the first article says there is not a lot of research on this, and of course there isn't. Coconut oil can't be patented.

Some people don't do well with coconut oil but I think the vast majority have no problem with it. You can apply it topically and ingest it. It melts at 76 degrees so easily melts in the mouth.

It's high in caprylic acid, capric acid and lauric acid, which are anti-fungal.

i tired coconut oil as well for a few weeks but it didnt seem to help that much.
i think if my candida infection is systemic i should rather try diflucan?

Pyrrhus

dont they check for these Igg and Lymphocytes in a big blood test at the hospital?

These tests are not all performed routinely by doctors, so you have to ask for them.

With that said, I don't know exactly how it works in Germany.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
@Wanja I did oral nystatin swish and swallow and it didn't cure me but it sure felt like it for a few weeks and it made my thrush tongue go away for that time too.

My Mom got thrush on a cycle of abx but only after we added d-mannose powder. Websites say it isn't suppose to cause that but other cycles of abx even subsequent ones didn't cause the thrush the way that powder did.

Her doctor did prescribe oral nystatin for her but we found that opening a s. boulardii capsule and mixing it with water and having her swish and swallow that was much more effective.

Last edited:

Mary

Moderator Resource
i tired coconut oil as well for a few weeks but it didnt seem to help that much.
i think if my candida infection is systemic i should rather try diflucan?
@Wanja - did you swallow the coconut oil or just swish it around in your mouth? I swallowed it, it melted in my mouth. I think I did have a systemic infection and it was very effective. I had to go slowly like I mentioned above because my herx reaction was so strong.

But I can't tell you what to do, this is just what worked for me. And it's cheap and no bad side effects (apart from the herx).