• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I need your input: ondansetron?

Boule de feu

I just started today. Severe to extreme nausea without vomiting.
What is your experience with this med?

Can I take it long term?

Literature shows different results for CFS.

Boule de feu

I thought I would give some feed-back about this new med I am taking.
The nausea is not as bad anymore, but it is still there.
However, the constipation that came with it is not fun to deal with (six days without a bowel movement!).
I hope it is temporary and it will get better as I go.

valentinelynx

Given a lot of ondansetron to patients to prevent post-op nausea and vomiting. Seen it used occasionally on a long term basis. Can't cite the data, but I believe studies have shown that it is more effective at preventing vomiting than stopping nausea. Not aware of problems with long term use. Can cause QT prolongation which might be an issue in someone with cardiac arrthymias. Then again, many drugs can do this, it's rarely a real problem.

Mel9

I thought I would give some feed-back about this new med I am taking.
The nausea is not as bad anymore, but it is still there.
However, the constipation that came with it is not fun to deal with (six days without a bowel movement!).
I hope it is temporary and it will get better as I go.

Are you still taking Ondansetron?
Any long term effects?
I have just started taking it as a wafer on the tongue and it is effectively taking away my nausea.

pattismith

I tried Ondansetron for nausea. It didn't work for me. It just gave me some serotonine toxicity symptoms, and then a few hours after the intake I got a strong increase in my pain syndrome.

Just one more drug I can't tolerate...