• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hypoglycemia symptoms without actual hypoglycemia (could it be a hypokalemia issue instead)?

linusbert

i just read this in this dino of a thread,
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...ation-protocols-trial-items.14637/post-240490

and here they say its adrenals
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...t-low-blood-sugar-glucose-hypoglycemia.20564/

he is writing that hypo potassium seams to be similiar to hypo glycemia.
thats interesting.

i sometimes get hypoglycemia symptoms but my blood sugar is far from low or even near the 100mg/dl mark.
it usually gets better after food.

what i do know is that high potassium promotes release of insulin which has a blood sugar lowering effect.
according to that logic potassium should actually make it worse. but i dont take any.

somebody any ideas how to get this under control?

kangaSue

so you suggest that i could indeed be low potassium in those situations?
It's a possibility at least.

I've not joined the dots to put it together before but from your post here linking the 2 things together, I know of a lot of people with gastroparesis (idiopathic, so non-diabetic) who get reactive hypoglycemia-like attacks from eating for no apparent reason, and a number of them have also mentioned being low in potassium as well so I figure the latter could be their bigger issue.
It 's pretty common for us with gastroparesis to have a diet higher in carbs though as fats and fibre are harder for our GI systems to cope with so that can feed back into it being reactive hypoglycemia as the main factor - or maybe even a combination of both.

linusbert

It 's pretty common for us with gastroparesis to have a diet higher in carbs though as fats and fibre are harder for our GI systems to cope with so that can feed back into it being reactive hypoglycemia as the main factor - or maybe even a combination of both.
that i can rule out, i go big toilette like 3-5 times a day.

TinaT

weak, jittery, sometimes cold swets
I guess maybe low potassium could have different symptoms for different people. But I've read a few people saying it causes constipation and that's been my experience, the few times I was pretty sure it was potassium bc my BP was high and potassium brought it back to normal. I think lack of potassium paralyzes the muscles in the digestive system.

I am reconsidering your glucose theory for some of my episodes. I'm still not sure though -- currently eliminating supplements to test. But apparently gastroparesis can cause blood sugar issues, even though I've never had those before.

Busson

i sometimes get hypoglycemia symptoms but my blood sugar is far from low or even near the 100mg/dl mark.
it usually gets better after food.
It may be better not to focus only on hypoglycemia because its symptoms can be mimicked by other causes.

Hypoglycemia causes its adverse effects by not having enough energy in the cell. However there are other failing pathways in the body which might prevent sufficient energy in the cell and these have nothing to do with blood glucose. For example, CoQ10 deficiency, excess methylmalonic acid (related to B12 deficiency) and many others.

If it was me, I would keep a very open mind at this stage because I have many times narrowed my thinking down to the wrong area of suspicion and investigated it endlessly to no avail!