• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Huffington Post "Avoid this if you want to keep your thyroid healthy"

JillBohr

Interesting article here on the thyroid. I think I have heard of the iodine depletion theory elsewhere but this article had some great timing for me personally because my son's teacher requested that I bring some Mountain Dew in for a reinforcer for my son with autism. I will now have to come up with another reinforcer (sigh). Main point, avoid BROMINE! Here is the linky:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mercola/thyroid-health_b_472953.html

I copied part of the article below in which it shows what Bromine can do to you.

When you ingest or absorb bromine, it displaces iodine, and this iodine deficiency leads to an increased risk for cancer of the breast, thyroid gland, ovary and prostate -- cancers that we see at alarmingly high rates today. This phenomenon is significant enough to have been given its own name -- the Bromide Dominance Theory.

Aside from its effects on your endocrine glands, bromine is toxic in and of itself. Bromide builds up in your central nervous system and results in many problems. It is a central nervous system depressant and can trigger a number of psychological symptoms such as acute paranoia and other psychotic symptoms.

In fact, in an audio interview, physician Jorge Flechas reported that, between 1920 and 1960, at least 20 percent of all hospital admissions for "acute paranoid schizophrenia" were a result of ingesting bromine-containing products.

In addition to psychiatric problems, bromine toxicity can manifest as the following:

Skin rashes and severe acne

Loss of appetite and abdominal pain

Fatigue

Metallic taste

Cardiac arrhythmias

Oh, and this article also linked to a paper about the urinary output of iodine levels in Americans. Apparently, we are peeing a lot less iodine over the past 20 years.

http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/content/full/83/10/3398

Carrigon

Add to this the stripped down thing they call salt today and how they keep reducing even that in our diet and it's no wonder there is an epidemic of thyroid problems.

JillBohr

Seriously, I long for the days when we had sugar in our sodas and iodine in our baked goods products. My ex-husband's family have to avoid any type of bready products because it causes gastrointestional problems. Both of my son's with autism also get strange skin rashes.