• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How to take d-ribose for energy - it really works!

Mary

Moderator Resource
A doctor told me recently that because d-ribose has a very short half-life, it needs to be taken throughout the day. As Im sure you know, d-ribose is one of the building blocks of ATP, energy currency.

Her recommendation is:

1/2 tsp. with breakfast (with coffee or tea is great as it works better with caffeine)
1/2 tsp. mid-morning
1/2 tsp. with lunch
1/2 tsp. mid-afternoon
1/2 tsp. with dinner
1/2 tsp. before bed. Sometimes I miss a dose but its okay.

I also take 1/2 tsp. before breakfast.

The big thing is my overall energy has increased - not spectacularly, but slow and steady, its great. I have more stamina.

Id already been taking d-ribose for about 3 years and noticed a boost in the beginning but it wore off, but I continued to take it. However, I was taking 1 scoop in the morning and once in a great while 1 scoop at lunch and that was it. One scoop (from the 300 g. jar sold by Swansons and Vitacost) equals 2 teaspoons, so the above daily regimen uses 1-1/2 scoops. The doctor recommends that I work up to 15 grams (3 scoops) a day, which Ill do.

Ive been doing this regimen now for about 10 days and so far so good. It really is making a difference. I am so pleasantly surprised! I did crash once near the beginning, but it was lighter than my other crashes. Im still pacing myself, Im sure Id still crash if I over did it, but Im able to do more, and just feel better, more like a human being.

Also (and this should be self-evident but I just did not realize it until the doctor pointed it out) the d-ribose is providing energy to all bodily systems so they are all going to work better. I had only been thinking in terms of feeling better, getting a little more energy. But it means it should strengthen my immune system, my heart, etc. - everything.

I wish I had known this 3 years ago! But better late than never

Mary

Frickly

When I took D Ribose I used the powder and took 2 tbs three times per day, but not close to bedtime. It did help me some, could stand in the kitchen long enough to make dinner. The problem was that It is very, very expensive and the results are not that impressive. I started taking glutathione/ATP injections and just stopped those after a year. I am now taking ATP tablets. Thanks for posting, if you can afford it it might be helpful for some.

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
I take it three times a day, a scoop each time. I was unable to walk more than a few steps before I started it. I can walk much better now. I take many supplements but this is great. Also, I take l Carnatine. There are so many wonderful supplements as long as you have a great doctor. The right dose is the key.

All of my supplements are expensive, but worth every dollar.

Mary

Moderator Resource
Frickly that would be very expensive, 2 tablespoons 3 times a day, for a total of 6 tablespoons. What Dr. Myhill has me taking is a total of 3 teaspoons, or 1 tablespoon a day, much cheaper than six.

So you might try the much smaller dose, taken more often. I think what is really making the difference for me is the frequency - in other words, it's more effective taking smaller doses more often than less frequent large doses, because of the very short half-life of d-ribose - that's why it has to be taken so often.

Mary

helsbells

Unfortunately this had the opposite effect on me, I could barely move after taking it - I never knew whether it was the D-R itself having a negative effect or my intolerance of it but then I never do :Retro mad:

Frickly

Hmmm.....I got my dosages from Dr. Teitlebaum's online site. Your smaller dosages throughout the day do make more sense. Luckily, I don't need it anymore but was certainly glad to have it when I did.

serenity

i have heard of D-Ribose but not tried it... if i may get off subject just a little? there is another supplement or product line called Woiria - has anyone heard of it? my aunt swears her freind was cured by it. another friend of a friend thing. but now she has my dad on me to try it. i do not know what to do with family members who are scammed into thinking there is some sort of cure for this. how do i explain to them that it is not valid?
thanks.
i just really needed to ask that & am not sure where to put it.

ixchelkali

I've thought about taking D-Ribose, but hesitated because of the expense. But if it works, I might try it. How do you take it? In water or juice or something, or do you just eat a spoonful?

Serenity, I know what you mean about friendly advice. I got out of the house for the first time in weeks last weekend, to a graduation party for an old friend. Another friend, a women in her eighties, wanted to know why she doesn't see me anymore and when I told her about having ME/CFS she told me that her daughter had had it and was cured by a clairvoyant who told her what foods to eat. It was hard to know how to respond, knowing that she only told me this out of a wish to be helpful. I think I mumbled something like "Hmmm, really, how interesting." Mostly I was just trying to get out of there and go home, because my energy was gone.

serenity

thanks for your answer Ixchelkali - it's really hard. i can't just leave when confronted by my family. i am sorry for the situation you were put in, having to think about what to say to someone face to face like that when you are tired.
i really wish people would keep these things to themselves unless they have research to back it up.
i know they are trying to help, but it does not.

Mary

Moderator Resource
I either dissolve it in water or add it to my coffee. It dissolves really easily and at that low a dose - 1/2 tsp. at a time, is not very sweet, it seems to be less sweet than 1/2 tsp of regular sugar.

girlinthesnow

I tried D-ribose, one tsp sprinkled on some fresh fruit, it gave me the mother of all headaches. So a no from me.